New to me 180-1st pic

sprockets

Reaction score
I decided to jump on a 1999 Sportsman 180 that became available this weekend. Special thanks goes out to Parthery for his insight and advice. Drove from Orlando to Charleston to pick it up. The bottom needs attention, but everything else is in great shape. Only 345 hours on the 150 Johnson 2-stroke carb'ed Ocean Pro. The previous owner(10 years) was meticulous about maintaining the engine. Not so much the bottom, but it was kept on a rack, not in the water.

910f467b.jpg

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
First....congratulations and welcome to GG.

The 180 is a great boat...I loved mine....just had a bad case of 2 footitis that turned into 4 footitis :mrgreen:

Use it well.....

sprockets

Reaction score
I actually pulled a "reverse two foot-itus", going from a 22' to an 18'. The bottom is in pretty rough shape, but everything in the interior and above the water line is almost like new. Not a stress crack anywhere. This thing is a tank compared to my prior boat.

I need to get the bottom done and upgrade the electronics, as it only has a small Lowrance b&w FF. It does have a VHF & stereo.

Now I get to over-analyze bottom paint, GPS/FF units, boat covers, etc. It never stops. One thing I realized is that I should have kept the GPS/FF from my old boat. The 7" Lowrance LCX-28HD would have been sweet on this.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Congrats on your boat! So is this Brian's old ride? Insuspect not as he lives in Ga and that is a SC boat. With gas the way it is down sizing makes some dollars and cents

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Nope...not my old one. It was sold to a Canuck back in February.

Sprockets and I exchanged a few PMs and phone calls after discovering a common link from our pasts....and actually he hails from our old neck off the woods. Apparently we also both have stayed in Bears Den too. :mrgreen:

I did share the good and bad from my 3 years with the 180....it should be ideal for it's planned use. I hope to see it in person on my next trip to Orlando.

sprockets

Reaction score
As Brian and I PM'd back and forth, we realized our lives have had a lot in common. Our parents know each other, I have actually stayed at Bears Den 3 times, and I've talked to Bob's brother a few times about the cabin and mountain biking. If I wasn't a bit older we probably would have known each other for 30 years.

The 180 is a downsize for me, but the overall quality is night and day to my 2003 Sea Pro. It needs a few cosmetics, but structurally it is in really good shape.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Wow! A small small world it is after all. I hate that song and ride. Maybe if Disney put Gradys on it then it would be cool. Thanks for staying at our place. I sent you a PM sprockets and take it by your screen name you are bicyclist. I am getting back in shape after a year off and knee surgery. Next week I am racing at the 12 Hours of Tsali with my brother Rick who by the way over 20 years ago had a Grady. I am still fat and slow but I love mountain biking and just trying to go at it. I have ridden bikes with Burt in Grady's customer service department and Bruce in engineering there. I did the Pamlico River Kayak athlon a few times which Bruce and the Tricredibles put on with Grady sponsoring. GREAT people.