New to me 1997 228G, Off Season PM

ItalianAngler

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
All,

I'm new here but just acquired a 228G in Maryland.

The boat is pretty clean, the only issue I've had is that the cover to the fuel tank is getting soft, but I knew that going in, so I have some projects lined up for this fall and want to see if there is anything else I just do based on the boats age. It was kept on a lift under a roof most of it's life, a one owner boat. I got it at what I consider to be a good price based on it's overall condition so I expect to invest some additional money right off the bat.

This is what I have so far based on all the old threads:

-Lid to the gas tank, cut the caulk and lift this guy out and repair/replace. Is it better to repair or to replace?
-Inspect gas tank once I'm in there.
-Replace all thru hulls, ss are preferred. I do notice some, but not all, show signs of wear from UV exposure.
-Replace both Bilge Pumps, they are 5 years old and that is about where I start losing confidence.
-Replace scuppers and hoses, the starboard side scupper hose is cracked and there is some water coming in around where the white plastic enters the boat, every so slightly.
-Seacocks, both don't seem to work, the PO used the washdown or the livewell very little and I suspect they should just be replaced
-The engine is a 200 SWS II and has 120ish compression in all cylinders and runs to run great for a 19 year old motor. Loaded down with 7 people, fuel and coolers I cruise at 26kt and 4100 rpm. It seems as though I could do better, perhaps no. The prop is original as far as I know, we did 36kt at WOT with 3 people and full tank of gas during the sea trial.
-The boat does not have trim tabs.
-The boat does have a hard top, seems to be in great shape.

I keep the boat on the South River in Edgewater, MD so if I get in over my head on some of these projects i'd like the lead on any good service center outside of my marina. Driveable by boat, I don't have a trailer.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Repair the hatch. There's multiple threads on this forum that you can find via searching with pictures and how-to's.

DO NOT replace ALL thru-hulls with SS. Anything below the waterline MUST be bronze (or Marelon). FYI, for above the waterline, bronze will last much longer than SS, too.

Your call on the bilge pumps - I would leave them alone till needed. Who's to say that a brand new one won't crap out. In many cases, bilge pumps last quite a while.

99% of the time, you can get the seacocks functioning again. Try a longer handle (pipe) to get more leverage, slowly working it back and forth. You could even remove the hose and spray some penetrating liquid in there and let it set over night. Once you get it working, "exercise" the seacock once a month. You NEED those to work in an emergency!

Speeds sound about right.

ItalianAngler

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Thank you for the info.

I'm planning on tearing this apart and doing most of this at once. It seems that while I have the livewell removed i might as well handle anything else in need of attention in there. I'm not a tall guy nor am i particularly limber so we'll see how well I can access all of the stuff while hanging like a bat in the bilge. Access for repairs seems to have been a secondary concern in a couple of places.

gw204

Reaction score
If you are interested I have a full set of Attwood SS thru hulls that I pulled from my 227 project when I parted it out. They got installed, but the boat never made it to the water so they are essentially new. These include:

-1-1/8" forward and aft bilge pump
-1" port fish box
-1" port helm drain
-1" stbd. fish box
-1" stbd. helm drain

The helm drains are 90 degree fittings. I picked those so I could ditch the factory plastic elbows.