New to me 1999 islander

Cadeauonthego

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Just bought my first Grady! Super pumped but have a few questions and hoping some people with experience could share some info.
Can the microwave and fridge only run off shore power?
Has any one rewired their 1999 islander? The wiring seems to be a bit of a mess (probably previous owner) noticed not all panel switches are connected (fuel selector and accessory) there is also a little bit of corrosion of some connections. (Could just be due to age)
Feel like I'm chasing electrical gremlins lol
Also what have people done for a kicker bracket, mine has a panther with a 9.9 with a hydraulic trim but the leg still drags needs to be mounted higher or different system all together.

Thanks in advance.

Ian - Vancouver Island, BC

Attachments

• 20220917_145349.jpg
    20220917_145349.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 22
  • 20220927_155706.jpg
    20220927_155706.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 23
  • 20220927_155639.jpg
    20220927_155639.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 22
  • 20220927_155721.jpg
    20220927_155721.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 22
Reactions: family affair

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Nice looking boat. Add your Vancouver location to your profile)?

Microwave is shore power.
Most likely fridge is 12 volt. I have a post somewhere here to 12vdc/120vac with automatic switch over. Inexpensive and easy to do.

I would not jump in to a complete rewiring. Very big job. Spend the time to cleanup the existing. Owners manual on GW site includes wiring diagrams and color codes. For example your fuel gauge. You should be able to find the wires at the wiring harness and extend them to fix the gauge and switch. There are fuel gauge/sending unit troubleshooting guides here as well. Fix for now before taking on a full rewire but there are posts here of that as well.

No experience with kicker's. Others can help.

Learn to use "search" on this site and you will get help with where to start. The members can better assist those who do a little homework before asking questions.

Welcome to the group!

Reactions: Walleyze

Cadeauonthego

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Nice looking boat. Add your Vancouver location to your profile)?

Microwave is shore power.
Most likely fridge is 12 volt. I have a post somewhere here to 12vdc/120vac with automatic switch over. Inexpensive and easy to do.

I would not jump in to a complete rewiring. Very big job. Spend the time to cleanup the existing. Owners manual on GW site includes wiring diagrams and color codes. For example your fuel gauge. You should be able to find the wires at the wiring harness and extend them to fix the gauge and switch. There are fuel gauge/sending unit troubleshooting guides here as well. Fix for now before taking on a full rewire but there are posts here of that as well.

No experience with kicker's. Others can help.

Learn to use "search" on this site and you will get help with where to start. The members can better assist those who do a little homework before asking questions.

Welcome to the group!
Cheers hookup1!
I appreciate the foresight and agree with the rewire was just curious. Been tinkering around lots. She is good just a few minor things.
Just waiting on a little better weather to get out more!
I will see if I can find your post about the auto switch over.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Full rewire NO but change the fuse panels in the hardtop and under the helm if they are original. They turn green and fuses heat up and melt plastic.

Take a good look at the battery switches and the 12V House Red Button breaker. If it still has a Red button breaker, make changing that to an MRCB high on the priority list.

If those are Halogen spreader lights, change them to LED.