New to me 246g

Chessie246G

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
Finally upgraded from my 17ft aluminum boat. Picked up a 92 Explorer 246G with a 2002 Yamaha 250 OX66 with under 400 hours. Solid boat. New main tank, extra aux tank (new). Dry, no rot. No spider cracks, factory hardtop, 16 mile radar, full enclosure, everything works, lights, electronics, gauges.... seats and cushions in great shape. Previous owner stayed on top of all maintenance. Only thing that it needs in new thru hulls and scuppers... and only because they are original and I noticed a few small cracks in the plastic. Paid 14k with trailer and extra new aux fuel tank.

Last edited:

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Sounds like a good buy! Replace those plastic through hulls ASAP, I think you will find that at least some of them will fall apart when you try to disconnect the hoses, or remove them.

Chessie246G

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
Sounds like a good buy! Replace those plastic through hulls ASAP, I think you will find that at least some of them will fall apart when you try to disconnect the hoses, or remove them.
They are already on order. Upgraded to bronze and also upgrading the scupper drains.

Miflinite

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
They are already on order. Upgraded to bronze and also upgrading the scupper drains.
I am about to start rebuilding the exact same boat, but have problems finding replacement parts specific to the boat.
Can you provide me the part size and website you ordered the thru-hulls and scupper drains, please?
Did you have to replace the old hoses? What did you use as a replacement?
Anyone know where I can find a new swim platform that lies over the engine bracket?

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Yes, you will probably need to replace scupper hoses at least. Boats of that age had the rubber hoses with the wire coil, which rust, crack, and get stiff as a board.

Attachments

• 727F6B5F-72A9-478D-85B5-A767EBF92D48.jpeg
    727F6B5F-72A9-478D-85B5-A767EBF92D48.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 18

Miflinite

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
Yes, you will probably need to replace scupper hoses at least. Boats of that age had the rubber hoses with the wire coil, which rust, crack, and get stiff as a board.
Any updates on your boat? What did you end up using for the new scupper hose? Any pictures you want to share of your boat?

Chessie246G

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
Ongoing discussion on supper hose. Ill try to get some pictures tonight. Due to some family issues out of town, wrong parts ordered, and work facilities, I'm way behind on where I was hoping to be.

Chessie246G

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
I am about to start rebuilding the exact same boat, but have problems finding replacement parts specific to the boat.
Can you provide me the part size and website you ordered the thru-hulls and scupper drains, please?
Did you have to replace the old hoses? What did you use as a replacement?
Anyone know where I can find a new swim platform that lies over the engine bracket?
Im likely going to pc of starboard to replace the swim platform. I don't feel like recoring the original and the gelcoat is a total mess.
Scupper drains are Attwood with the replaceable flappers.
All other thru hull are Attwood also. Most are 1inch. The 1 is 1 1/2 for the forward livewell drain. It needs to be a short shaft.
I replaced most of the hoses. A few for the fishbox, bait box and forward bildge were in great shape. All others were replaced.

I sealed them all with Butyl rubber instead of 4200. plans are to paint the boat next year. I wanted them as easy to remove as possible but still providing a great watertight seal. Except the scuppers, they got 4200

Reactions: Miflinite

Chessie246G

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
Finally a good pic. Stripes deleted, white bottom.

Attachments

• 20220605_072511.jpg
    20220605_072511.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 21
Reactions: BobH1