New to me 265 Express, looking for some owner feedback

SeaVee

Reaction score
Hi All,

Finally pulled the trigger on a 2001 265 with 200 HPDI's with about 490 hrs on the entire rig.Needs some love and some updates so I'll be posting looking for answers, advice ,etc., so thanks in advance for any feedback.

Couple of things need to be addressed before we splash her:

transom bang plate: hoping I can grab to engine hoists and unbolt the engines and get to the cap without disconnecting the controls to do the fiberglass work, any input on that strategy?

Need a stereo, it's got a lame one, love to hear how you guys set yours up.

Needs a good compound/wax.

Curtains aren't great, may need to get some estimates,anyone replaced them? do you mind sharing a figure you think I need to budget for?

Looks like I can't use the microwave, and hot water while off the shore power? Any work around there?

Thanks,

SeaVee

Fishtales

Reaction score
You potentially could do the plate, but it is harder with twins. You may have to do some work as well, so it may not be as quick as you think.
You could cut dupont#7 50/50 with water and then wax,
Best place for the enclosure is AJ Canvas in Vanceboro NC. Have your serial number ready off the hull. They may have the patterns if they did them in 2001.

eppem

Reaction score
Great boat and lots of loyal 265 owners on this page....

transom bang plate: hoping I can grab to engine hoists and unbolt the engines and get to the cap without disconnecting the controls to do the fiberglass work, any input on that strategy? (no comment, ours have had some corrosion over time from saltwater, we caulk the crap out of em)

Need a stereo, it's got a lame one, love to hear how you guys set yours up. (picked up a Sony one at west marine last summer, I'd have to look up the model #, Bluetooth and sat radio ready, took awhile to figure out the controls but we like it)

Needs a good compound/wax. ) If hull looks good, we have had great success with the simple 3M two in one wax - if not, compound first, we use the No 7 compound, ez on and off, and its very inexpensive at the auto parts store). I think you will get a lot of opinions about wax products, to me its preference.

Curtains aren't great, may need to get some estimates,anyone replaced them? do you mind sharing a figure you think I need to budget for? (I think we paid 1,000 to 1,200 but it was maybe 5 seasons ago, that was for the plastic, the reused the fabric. I really don't remember. )

Looks like I can't use the microwave, and hot water while off the shore power? Any work around there? (we have a small Honda 2,000 genny, works great for overnites and offshore canyon trips. We fire up as needed)

Feel free to email me at mike@diversemm.com if you have more questions and I can send back any pictures of how our rig is set up. Its in the water already.

EPPE
265 Express - 2003

bac0701

Reaction score
i was planning on doing mine this spring before she goes in but i think Its going to happen next winter or possibly in the middle of the summer. My buddy has a shop and we plan on doing it. he said the hpdi's are pretty easy to take down. so I'm planning on two hoist while its on a trailer or on dolls and we can move it to make some space. the glass job doesn't seem to complicated. I'm still learning the boat but all the compliments and what I've read online its worth the frustration... +1 on the small gen honda if your overnighting and need that stuff

bbattista44

Reaction score
Good buddy has the same boat , year and motors w 1100 hours and I recently sold a 2002 282 Sailfish that was in the family for 12 yrs

1)Boat Bow Steers, takes a little getting used to but in 4'-6' ers , once you find your angle , she settles in nicely with little to no pounding.

Compond - I start with a Aqua Buff 2000 /Dawn wash down this slury will remove surfce oxidation and any dirt or Jet Fuel if your near a base or airport. From there the 3m restorer wax 2 in one is great on Hull and smooth surfaces , tough grit , w great shine and color restoration. On non skid I have had great success with Aqua Buff 2000 no wax in it so it will not turn your non skid into an ice skating rink , its water based , very easy to use and cheap it's well under $100 for 2 gallons. After that any quality Polymer based wax , I prefer McGuires in Black bottle seems to have the longest legs. If your chalked up unfortunately your going to have to go through the full process of straight compunding through the grits and then wax. The 3m won't take the Haze out if your to far gone , the 3m 2in one also doesn't get better the more time you go over same section .

Generator - the Honda EU 2000 is top choice , works great . Honda makes an aluminum tube that connects to the exhaust via the clamp thats already on the end of exhausted . On my 282 we just set it behind the bench , on the 265 we put it on the pulpit and ran the tube down to the water line to keep exhaust fumes out of cockpit. FYI the Genarak from Home Depot is disposable, used it twice and it shit the bed. Can't handle the moisture , the Honda has at least 20 canyon trips on it. The Honda cannot power both micro wave and HW at same time , need to turn HW off to use Micro.
Check that your cabin hatches arnt leaking under the headliner both my 282 and the 265 had small leaks that would never make out from under headliner , the water would just feed the black mold farm under the headliner

JulCat
06 33 Express

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I'm also new to a 265. got it in Oct17. One canyon trip and a fall striper season under the belt....big smiles....awesome design.

transom cap is ok on mine but if I had to do it I would remove it and glass it over.

Stereo...Sony in a "marine case"... ripped it out of the hardtop, it pissed me off.. long story....but I am going with a simple bluetooth portable connected to Accessory 12V plug and iPhone. I like to hear the fish bite....

removed Fridge and microwave for tackle storage.
No water heater. I need to fix macerator and level sense on head
Portable gen is a good thought, :hmm maybe I'll reconsider the amenities...FRESH Hot coffee would be nice.....

I've always used the 3m cleaner wax on my old boat so I'll stick with it. Ryobi 18V waxer to put on, towels to rub off.

My enclosure is ok. some loose stitching on some zippers. rear doesn't quite close... That'll hold for a few seasons. My old V20 the 3 sided enclosure was $1800 all new and it was smaller. Hate to think of the $$$ of a new full enclosure.
The zipper on the life jacket mesh is trashed ( why do they use those metal zippers on boats?). Going to try to get some velcro to replace zipper and re-use the existing mesh.

Added more LED spreader lights to hardtop and under anchor pulpit. Underwater LED light in garboard drain.

Going to reconfigure the battery setup. I will post a full process. 2 separate starting batteries, a double house bank. Switches OUTSIDE the cubbies, under the gunnel, so I don't have to break the plastic bins trying to get at them.

Need new fire extinguishers. Got LED strobes for the life jackets. Got a fancy new LED "electronic flare" that replaces handhelds and doesn't expire. Will keep 4 expired flares onboard also. Got new 12 gauge arial flares and keeping the newest expired 4.... Just shot off 8 old expired ones. All fired but only 2 out of 8 lit up.

My VHF won't take a new MMSI number. Have to send it back to Standard Horizon for reset. Will use as a backup with a SS whip antenna. Going to buy another one with built in GPS and AIS receiver( Standard Horizon GX2200 looks good). An EPIRB is on the list as well. I have a PLB.

Added Garmin echo94sv in hardtop to compliment the 4208 and black box Sonar in the dash.

Added four 0degree rod holders to the tailgate. Going to replace the plastic cupholders with SS rod holder/cupholders. Added a 30 degree rod holder straight out each gunnel (mounted near the step so it fit) Going to put a really good 0 degree swivel rod holder in each gunnel for bent butt rods.

Need to figure a clean way of adding rod storage in cabin along the berth bulkheads with butts extending into anchor locker????

Another thread suggested adding a fuel switch/plug-in connection for running from portable tanks for that extra canyon fuel. Might do that....

The sealed access deck to the rear bilge is BS. Have considered different options and think maybe cut in a 11" x 23" hinged hatch for easy access. Tempress has a nice one and you can drop a bin in it for added storage.
Need an additional way of securing the tailgate in up position...considering rubber T handle latch, SS hooks or drop-in pins...

Wish list is a Captains chair that has that fold-up bolster so you can stand and lean or fold down and sit....that would be sweet....

Sorry if I rambled on....

tilewave

Reaction score
re- microwave, i completely removed mine as well . im unwrapping the boat this week and will take some pics how i finished the area off. i also removed the fridge and that area goes deep, i was able to make a nice size storage locker . i will post pics of that as well. good luck with her !

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Had a 02 for ten seasons before I sold her last spring to upgrade. She was an awesome boat and treated us well. I had F225's so I really have no comment on the HPDI's. There are a bunch of knowledgeable owners on the site, so don't be afraid to ask.

transom bang plate: I just caulked the crap out of it.

My boat came with a Sony stereo which was a POS and never constantly worked. Replaced it with a clarion and JL speakers (in the helm and next to the spreader lights). Radio was mounted in the hardtop Ebox, so wiring was super simple. eventually added Sirius Sat. radio via a Simrad chartplotter. Which was a nice upgrade. I did have an issue with the main power supply wire feeding the Ebox, which I did end up having to replace, along with upgrading the fuse box.

Everyone has an opinion on wax, I use 3M and starbrite products. Imar for the enclosure.

My curtains started falling apart after the first season, I ended up replacing the original blue with white stamoid and stratglass, which looked really nice. If memory serves probably was around $2600, but that was a while ago, so I could be a little off on that figure. A few years later I re-upholstered the seats/coming pads and recovered the cabin cushions. I used a local shop for all of this, I didn't want to deal with searching online. Plus they guaranteed the stitching, zippers and snaps and would replace as needed N/C.

For anything AC powered you will need a genny or large inverter if not on shore power. I had a small Generac 2000, worked twice, then failed during Sandy and gave it away. I did think it was much loader then the Honda. I thought of putting an inverter in but never did.

I put underwater lights on. Initially started with 2 outboard of the engines , then later added a third between the engines. I used coastal night lights.

Removing and replacing batteries is a knuckle bleeder, be careful with the pull out plastic trays above the batteries, as they are tough to replace. 2 engine batteries and 1 house.

Replaced all the fuel lines, no problems at the time, just wanted to replace.

Replaced all the raw water hoses, as both hoses developed 2 separate leaks(hose was ~ 13 years old at the time). Also added high water alarm at this time , as the ruptured hose filled the bilge.

Changed out all the lights to LEDs as I got tired of dealing with changing bulbs. I also added a pair of spot lights in addition to spreader lights. and another light on the bow.

Added additional gunnel rod holders.

Mounted large cutting board on transom gate, really nice central location, more stable then the rod holder mounted board, and frees up the gunnel holders.

Changed out all locks, cup holders etc. to stainless.

Probably did other things to her too, but this is just off the top of my head.

I liked the boat so much I ended up buying her big sister.

SeaVee

Reaction score
Skunkboat, Changing to LED Nav and Spreader lights is high on my list, as well as swapping all locks, drawer hardware to stainless, love to find out where you got those. We have a plan to change out the fuel lines, basically need to bring it to my neighbors dock for a weekend to knock this out.Trying to figure out how many feet of fuel line I need to order beforehand. Any idea how much I need to order?
TIA

barclayrl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I did the cap on my 268 Islander. I chose to unrig and pull them both..

I filled the area with 3m vinylester to build up the area for the glass, then I put 3 layers of 1708 mat over a nice radius

20170612_230743696_iOS.jpg

20170617_162443067_iOS.jpg

20170629_224657376_iOS.jpg

20170818_234026695_iOS.jpg

max366

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
SeeVee- I have a 2004 265 and am looking at replacing the fuel lines and asked the same question a while back. I went and measured my hoses and found that it's all 3/8" ID hose, with the following rough measurements
Forward tank - 2 pieces ea 8 ft long to get to the fuel valves
Stern tank - 2 pieces ea 6 ft long to get to the fuel valves
Around the filters - 2 x 2 ft
To the engines - 2 x 3.5 ft

Total of about 39 ft, going to order 50 ft. Please check your boat since the routing might be different than mine, but this will give you an idea.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Fishtales said:
Best place for the enclosure is AJ Canvas in Vanceboro NC. Have your serial number ready off the hull. They may have the patterns if they did them in 2001.

I'll second A&J Canvas, great folks to deal with. Had a complete new enclosure done for my 228, also had a new storage net for under the hard top done by them as well.