New to me 272 Sailfish

G-Force2

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Hi my name is Mike and last season I sold my 1975 Grady white 204 Hatteras and bought a 1996 272 Sailfish. What a big difference! I used the 204 for 23 years and loved it! The family and I used the Sailfish a ton last summer.
I have a few questions that I can’t seem to find using the search.
First the small “toggle” or catch on the plexiglass cover the gauges broke and I don’t even know how to start to find a new one.
Secondly anyone have good pictures or plans for a rocket launcher for the back of the hardtop?

I love working on the boat and have rewired the top box replaced the gps with a simrad go9 and a new vhf. With the covid quarantine I have buffed and waxed the hull and painted the bottom. I ready for good weather!

Thanks for any help!
622B4989-17D1-49C8-9057-C3B99846A620.jpeg

Late Again Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Website
www.littleriversportfishing.com
Model
Sailfish
Congratulations on the new to you ride. I have a 94 model and yes I too have one of those little boggers broken. Don't miss it much to you start running into a head sea and you pound a time or two. They at least keep the switch covers from flapping. I'll be following to see if anyone might have a source. Tight lines.

oasis04

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
those can be sourced at lowes or home depot or any other hardware store. They are used to hold glass panels in cabinet doors.
My '00 272 doesn't have them or evidence of them ever being there.

ScottyCee

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Interesting. Mine (1998 272) has no sign of them where yours are, OP, but has them on the port cover to the anchor locker. Need to replace one as well. Interesting that they are an OTS item...

G-Force2

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I
Interesting. Mine (1998 272) has no sign of them where yours are, OP, but has them on the port cover to the anchor locker. Need to replace one as well. Interesting that they are an OTS item...
Interesting the 1998 doesn’t I think I may used the ones from the anchor locker if I can’t find any. I will buy black knobs for the anchor locker.
Do you have rod holders on the back of hard top?

ScottyCee

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
No. That may have been an option mine doesn’t have. But I’m in the process of making one out of a handful of stainless poles holders on my workbench.

on mine those covers are gravitationally fed LOL.Unless they start making noises or doing something odd in chop, I’ll probably never think about them again.

OK. Hang on. I wonder if those were some of the hundreds of holes that I patched doing gelcoat work. Guess I’ll have to take a look tomorrow...

G-Force2

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
No. That may have been an option mine doesn’t have. But I’m in the process of making one out of a handful of stainless poles holders on my workbench.

on mine those covers are gravitationally fed LOL.Unless they start making noises or doing something odd in chop, I’ll probably never think about them again.

OK. Hang on. I wonder if those were some of the hundreds of holes that I patched doing gelcoat work. Guess I’ll have to take a look tomorrow...
Cool. Thanks!
I’d love to see pictures of the rod holders when done.

ScottyCee

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Me too! That is medium-low on the priority list (since we are only going to have a couple days of fishing this year it sounds like), but I love to weld and greatly look forwards to building it. You can bet that I'll post pics. I have a loooong list of the work on this boat, so once I finish the canvas and can take pictures I'll post-a-boast about that too!

ScottyCee

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Thank you captain. That’s identical fabrication to the one that was on my 226 with four holders. I’m going to fab something just like that out of stainless. Thanks again for posting!

ScottyCee

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I posted this in a different thread but here's how I decided to do it.

Attachments

• IMG_20200531_112148.jpg
    IMG_20200531_112148.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 15