New (to me) Grady 268. What's the hatch for?

Cadeco

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I just got a 268 Islander and noticed that most GW have a (looks like) hatch in front of the cabin and that hatch has two hinges; Question : What is that for? and Ho is it open?

Thanks for the help.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I just got a 268 Islander and noticed that most GW have a (looks like) hatch in front of the cabin and that hatch has two hinges; Question : What is that for? and Ho is it open?

Thanks for the help.
Ummm... open it up and look? :)

Joking aside, are you talking about the anchor hatch?

But, no, I'm not going to explain how to open a hatch. Do you need help on how to open your car door, too? ;)

Reactions: wspitler

seasick

Reaction score
it's scary at times:)

Seriously though, post a picture of that hatch

Uncle Joe

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
On my 24 Offshore that hatch allows access and egress from the cabin. If it is the same hatch you must open it from inside the cabin.
Good luck with your new Grady!

Reactions: Cadeco

Cadeco

Reaction score
Model
Islander
No it's not the anchor hatch. It's the one across from it as i said it's in front/top of the cabin, has two hinges / I was trying to find out what is it for and how to open (Something inside of the cabin). Uncle Joe , I guess we are talking about the same hatch. Tomorrow i will go inside of the cabin and check if there is any lock. Thanks

Reactions: Uncle Joe

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
No it's not the anchor hatch. It's the one across from it as i said it's in front/top of the cabin, has two hinges / I was trying to find out what is it for and how to open (Something inside of the cabin). Uncle Joe , I guess we are talking about the same hatch. Tomorrow i will go inside of the cabin and check if there is any lock. Thanks
Just to be clear, you said "in front of the cabin" which can be read as the "anchor hatch". When dealing with words only, you have to be very descriptive. For example, in your next post you said it's "across from the anchor hatch"... "Across" means to the left or right. But obviously we now know what you mean. Yes, it's the cabin hatch - you won't need any instructions for this once you look at it.

Uncle Joe

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
You will find it Cadeco.....mins has 2 locks.....one is a knob you turn and then there is rod with a wing nut that allows you to secure it in different positions......for access or just a little for ventilation.

SouthFork

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I’m guessing vent hatch for the cabin based on my old 268. A pic would clear this up

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'm guessing he means this hatch on the front of his boat? I believe that Uncle Joe is correct and that it is an egress hatch from the inside of the cabin area as is also shown in this interior cabin picture.

Grady White 268.pngGrady White 268 cabin.png

Reactions: Cadeco

Cadeco

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Thanks to you all : and , Yes Mustang65fbk That's the one . I will look inside next time I go to the marina. ( Got the boat and have not even used it yet). Again, Thanks to you all :)

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

Uncle Joe

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Guys.....I thought this site was established for Grady Owners to help other Grady owners. Here we have a new owner who needs help and you guys are discouraging him from coming back. Not cool. When I think of some of the stupid, even dangerous.... stuff I did when I was a new owner, it makes me cringe.

Cadeco.......there are no stupid questions.....please don't be afraid to come back.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
When I purchased a Seafarer many moons ago, I convinced my wife it was the perfect boat for us because we could use the cabin hatch to pass our infant daughter from cabin to bow LOL.

Cadeco

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Guys.....I thought this site was established for Grady Owners to help other Grady owners. Here we have a new owner who needs help and you guys are discouraging him from coming back. Not cool. When I think of some of the stupid, even dangerous.... stuff I did when I was a new owner, it makes me cringe.

Cadeco.......there are no stupid questions.....please don't be afraid to come back.
Thanks for your post. I have a thick skin. Yes, I will be back many many times because people like you are part of the board.

Uncle Joe

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Thanks for your post. I have a thick skin. Yes, I will be back many many times because people like you are part of the board.
Thanks CADECO.....there are lots of great folks here and I lean on them all the time. Best of luck with your new Grady.

efx

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I’d suggest taking a boating safety course.