New to me Grady Overnighter

yooperdad

Reaction score
Website
www.eyeflies.com
Just picked up an old Grady in very good shape. I am a Great Lakes salmon fisherman and now need to transfer my downriggers, rod holders, etc., to this boat. Any suggestions, and/or links to other Grady's set up for this kind of fishing would be most appreciated. I especially need to know more about mounting the riggers as the gunnels are not very wide and access to the underside is limited, at best.

Mike

1400.JPG

1600.JPG

2400-1.JPG

derx2

Reaction score
Access to the underside is very limited on these hulls. Can you can get behind the gunnels behind the aft flip up seating? When I had to get behind the gunnels on my 1989 Overnighter to install a Crab Davit (mid deck port side) , I cut in a 4" inspection port below the location that I was working on. There is really no other way to do it. Maybe you could combine it with installing a recessed Fresh/salt water wash down or I have seen recessed fire extinguisher mounts that would work as well.

phila

Reaction score
Yooperdad,

As in the previous post I also put in access ports in order to mount downriggers on my Overnighter 20.

Regarding the hardware installation, access ports enabled through-bolting of Scotty 1025 side gunnel mounts for a more solid installation. Scotty 1026 pedestal swivel mounts were then SS bolted on top of the gunnel mounts. The swivel mounts enable me to swing the 60" booms forward or aft and troll with with booms extended to the side (normal operation). Also adjustable to different angles which can be useful when in tricky currents. Swivel mounts allow you to swing the downrigger gear out of the way when landing larger fish.

For the electrical side of the installation the access ports provide quick and easy access to the fuse holders. Marinco SS electrical connectors are flush mounted adjacent to the access ports. Much less corrosion & maintenance with SS connectors than previous brass connectors. I used sealed waterproof "blade" type fuse holders for the past 5 years with no problems. I found these to be less subject to corrosion and failure than in-line spring loaded fuse holders.

This particular installation has worked well for me over the past 5 seasons - salmon fishing on the "wet coast". Previous installation was a painted aluminum bracket bolted to the hull inside the gunnel of an aluminum boat. Not as clean an installation - not something you want to bump into, flaking paint etc.

Having some difficulty uploading a photo-have posted in album - Overnighter 20, Reel Adventure.

Hope this is useful to you.

Phil a