New to my Grady... I've had it 4 days now.

onnoff

Reaction score
Hey all,

New member and new to my Grady 1999 226 Seafarer (200 HP Yamaha). She's got a hard top and a few other amenities, I can post a picture later. I have a few questions though and I'm hoping that some of y'all might be able to help me.

1) I'm pretty sure the boat has two livewells, or at least one livewell and one icebox (having a time differentiating between which is which). Both obviously have a drain, and one has a clear plastic cover that lays over it. I don't have a 'livewell' switch, but I have 5 or 6 extra accessories where I believe one might be linked. There are also bow and stern bilge switches too but I think those are unrelated. I can't figure out how to get water into the well, or circulate this at all. It's possible these might not even be livewells, but I'm looking for someone to point me in the right direction.
2) Does anyone know where I can find a parts catalogue? I was cleaning her the other day (specifically the fold down motorwell bulkhead) and may have scrubbed a little too hard and snapped one of the little plastic bulbs that holds it in place. Simple piece, simple screw in job, just don't know where to find one.
3) Same thing goes for my cabin light. I think the bulb is burnt out, but I wouldn't know the first place to go to order a new one of those (and I'll be in the market for a new rubrail soon).

I appreciate your help in advance! I hear this a great place to go to get questions answered.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
First - welcome aboard....I owned a 2001 226 with a 200 HPDI...was a great boat.

The livewell, if your boat has one, will be the port side box...the box is split into two and the one on the right is a cooler. The one closest to the gunwale is the livewell. Look underneath in the stern (next to your batteries and/or oil tank) and see if you have a water pickup and a seacock. If you have a seacock that leads to a hose which disappears toward the livewell, that's the livewell pump. Make sure the seacock is open (up and down) and start flipping switches until the livewell begins to fill.

If you have a seacock with a hose that leads to a black pump mounted on the transom wall, then on to a hose fitting, that is the raw water washdown.

I'd recommend you go to http://www.gradywhite.com and register/download the owners manual.

Many of the parts you need (like bulbs) can be purchased from any marine supply outfit....take the old one out and bring it to the store. For factory GW parts (striping for example) any GW dealer can help. I'm partial to Vero Marine in FL, but others use Taylor Marine, Cannons, etc....

onnoff

Reaction score
Great - thanks very much. I'm thinking that I don't have a livewell, as I've tried all the switches (my owners manual is pretty generic I think and doesn't cover each individual model). I definitely found my fresh water washdown, the tank is on the port side below the passenger cockpit chair. I made solid use of the cooler weekend!

I'll keep that in mind about the parts too. There are a few things I need to do... a little TLC, so that's good to know.

Thanks again!

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Pretty sure you don't have one either....just found my PDF of the owners manual for my 226 and - if you had the livewell - you would have 3 thru hull fittings amidships port side -- one each for the two compartments and a third one for the overflow. The picture you posted only shows 2 thru-hulls.

onnoff

Reaction score
Bummer. I for sure thought that would be something (stock)? Oh well, back to the old cooler method. I suppose I could put one in over the winter too if I was ambitious.

pfd161

Reaction score
you can make a homemade one for cheap $ with a plastic barrell...
I would use your raw water washdown hooked up to it...
and an overflow hose to the scupper or engine well.... it will circulate water and keep the liveies alive.
tons of ideas online.... don't have to buy a 300$ made livewell.
D.

seasick

Reaction score
onnoff said:
Great - thanks very much. I'm thinking that I don't have a livewell, as I've tried all the switches (my owners manual is pretty generic I think and doesn't cover each individual model). I definitely found my fresh water washdown, the tank is on the port side below the passenger cockpit chair. I made solid use of the cooler weekend!

I'll keep that in mind about the parts too. There are a few things I need to do... a little TLC, so that's good to know.

Thanks again!
I think that there is a thru hull regardless of the livewell option since the thru hull is for the locker drain.

gwwannabe

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I've never owned a 226 but my '93 Gulfstream (232G) only has 1 pump that serves both the wash down and the live well. There is a diverter valve back on the port side above the battery that directs the water. Hose runs from the pump to the valve and has hoses that run to the wash down and the live well.

Gary 93 Gulfstream w/ T/140 Suzuki's (going up for sale soon)

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
I had a closed transom, but this is what I did for a livewell. The one that was OEM really sucked, and I just plugged that sucker and used it for storage ..

DSC00205Small_zps042d36f6.jpg

Sharkbait282

Reaction score
Based on what we found on our new to us 2002 Sailfish, I'd recommend fresh O-rings on your fuel filler caps. Other than that enjoy and get some owners manuals!

Bob.