New to the Grady White family

tapupo

Reaction score
Hello everyone. Just wanted to introduce myself to this site as I just purchased my first GW. I was in the market for a convertible type boat for a while and then stumbled on a real gem of a hull, the Atlantic 260. It really suited what I was looking for especially the fact that it can still be towed instead of remaining in the water. Just enough cabin space to keep the Mrs. happy and still have a good walk around fishing boat. After I make a list of upgrades needed/wanted, I will be reaching out to you experienced GW owners to help me with advice on future projects. I have to say these are great quality boats as this 25 year old lady still looks very sharp and is in solid shape. After I purchased it, I found out it is 1 of only 61 Atlantic 260 manufactured in 1991-1992, that explains why this is the first time I ever saw this model. I'm having the bottom painted as it needed it and when I do use it, I plan to keep it in the water for extended periods of time. Once I get her back, I'l post some pictures to introduce her to this site. Looking forward to sharing some positive conversations together.

Tom

"Follow me," he told them, "and I will make you fishers of people!"

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Welcome to the forum, Tom! Certainly a rare boat you have. I recall seeing one at a boat show when we boat our first Grady in 1992. Pictures would be a real treat when you get some.

Rob

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Congrats on your boat purchase and welcome to the family as it were. So I went to the gallery and noticed one of the boats there seems to almost a pilot house kind of style. Is it a typical walk around style like my boat or a Marlin or does it have a pilothouse looking configuration?

tapupo

Reaction score
Bob, I didn't see one in the Gallery even though one picture is listed as an Atlantic. The boat looks like a Marlin except it has a mini flybridge raised above the cabin and it is a full walkaround. I have yet to sea trial it and can't wait to see how she rides the waves with that added flybridge cap.

I plan to play it safe and have both Yamaha 225 4 stroke engines undergo a routine service before putting her in the water. Since this is my first experience with outboards (I've always had inboards before this boat) I have no idea what that might entail or cost. I assume changing everything from the top down includes, spark plugs, coils, oil and filter, have injectors removed and cleaned, Fuel pumps, gas filters, impeller, lower unit oil, water pumps . I'm not too familiar with electronic ignition so I may be missing a few parts. What is the average price I should pay to have this all serviced/replaced for each engine? Any input would be greatly appreciated while I adjust to this learning curve.
Thank you for the help,
Tom

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Tom,
Overall, the reliability of 4 strokes is almost to that of automotive engines. There is a timing belt that should be changed at 10 years or 1,000 hours. There are two VST filters that should be changed . I don't know Yamaha's hour recommendations for that one. I did mine at 750 hours.

Now here is the atom bomb of sorts. The first gen F225 was plagued with a dry exhaust corrosion problem. That issue from what I have read here on and other boating forums is about $4k fix. Out of everything you mentioned , the dry exhaust issue is really the one you need to check out in my opinion.

I am regular user of Yamaha Ring Free. It is from what I have read here essentially Chevron's techron in a pure form in a bottle. It ain't cheap and it is supposed to keep the fuel system cleaner and improve combustion thus fuel economy. I bought the hype but others here may say different (lol).

Enjoy your new to you Grady.

tapupo

Reaction score
Bob,
Thanks for the tip on ring free, seems like many agree this is the stuff to help avoid issues. That atom bomb was a shocker. Wasn't aware of that issue which has obviously affected many Yammie owners. Not sure if I even want to look or just use them until the problem presents itself. At least I'm aware of it now, thanks to you. This is why I'm glad I found this site, lots of experience to share with us newbies.
Hope to get more feedback from others to make a decision if its worth dumping any kind of money in these engines or just bite the bullet and repower with newer ones.
Thanks,
Tom

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Tom,
I am not a type A guy for most things in my life. I bought a Grady because they are over built. When I am 30 miles offshore my life and my crew's life are floating in my hands and on our Grady. If one or both of those F225s fails in the river or at the dock no harm no foul. Now if you are 30 off and it fails , well your day just got longer at best or you got bigger problems if the seas get nasty.

I am not one to tell others what to do. It is your boat, your dollar and your life. If it were me I would have them scoped by a certified Yamaha guy or gal. I would not run offshore hoping my motor is fine.

tapupo

Reaction score
Bob,
I do most of my boating in the Florida Keys in close proximity to much boat traffic where even in the reefs there are always commercial vessels around. But your right, I would not take a long trip out, completely isolated by myself without the assurance of a dependable boat and crew. Point well taken Bob.
Thanks for the input,
Tom

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Tom,
I will be in the Keys from July 20 to July 31. We will heading to the Dry Tortuga's the 22nd to the 24th and then head back to Pennekamp for that week. We bring the camper. My kids love that place. Maybe if you are in the area we can say hello and I can check out the Atlantic.