New Trailer

dale1

Reaction score
Hey, where is the best place to get a new trailer? I want to talk with someone who knows which trailer is needed for a particular model grady. I'm down to two boats to purchase and neither have trailers. I would like to show up with a new trailer, pick up the boat and come home safely. thanks
dale

ReelJoy2

Reaction score
Sport Trail in MS makes the best trailers by far. I had them custom build one for my Grady 300 Marlin. I store the boat indoors and pull to and from on every trip. See the pics attached. Let me know if you want Kevin's contact information. It will be worth your time just to talk to him.

Attachments

• Boat on Trailer.jpg
    Boat on Trailer.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 2,714

dale1

Reaction score
Man, that's a good looking trailer. that is exactly what I would like. same wheels, etc. How much was it? Is your truck a duelee? I'll be using a tuned up f-250 single rear axle making 1200 ft lb of torque. Not worried about the power, just the handling, and stopping. does that set up push your truck around much? the boat i'm picking up is around 9000lb :hmm

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Dale, I'm not sure where you are located, but there are actually quite a lot of excellent trailer companies around the States and so far (I've been in the marine industry for over 25 years) I have yet to find one that is "the best". Some are not so good at all, but there are plenty of great ones. My suggestion would be to start with a local marine store and see what they offer. Setting the trailer up ahead of time can be done, but you'll need measurements from the boat. Even then, you'll probably be making some adjustments.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Dale,

Call Jeff at Owens and Sons (727-323-1088). Regardless of whether you buy from him or not, he is a fountain of knowledge regarding trailer design. My last 3 Gradys have had Owens and Sons/Slide On underneath them. He is a pleasure to deal with.

Good luck.

Pez Vela

Reaction score
dale1 said:
I'm down to two boats to purchase and neither have trailers.

Describe boat #1 and where it is located. Do the same for boat #2. Recommendations should be forthcoming. I recommend welded, custom made bunk trailers. There may be a builder in the vicinity who already has the hull dimensions on file, if not, he'll have to come to the boat and do his own measuring. Whether that would cost extra is always negotiable. The boat should fit the trailer perfectly upon delivery.

ReelJoy2

Reaction score
dale1 said:
Man, that's a good looking trailer. that is exactly what I would like. same wheels, etc. How much was it? Is your truck a duelee? I'll be using a tuned up f-250 single rear axle making 1200 ft lb of torque. Not worried about the power, just the handling, and stopping. does that set up push your truck around much? the boat i'm picking up is around 9000lb :hmm

Sorry for the late post. You will need to call Kevin at Sport Trail for a quote 228 467 1885. I have just about every option available on mine, including SS brakes on all (3) axles. I paid just south of $10K. My truck is a short bed F250 4X4. It pulls the boat just fine, but as I told another GW owner, the trailer is a big part of that. Kevin designed the trailer around my boat. The Marlin loads/launches with ease. It also pulls like a dream, because of a few things - the axles are under the belly of the boat as opposed to being further back towards the transom; and despite the weight of my Marlin (wet, engines and gear - around 12K), the bow is positioned perfectly minimizing tongue weight and preventing "bounce" as we head down the road. I'm not breaking speed records, but the truck pulls the boat at 60-65 all day long and I average about 12mpg.

The only time I get a little nervous pulling the rig is when a semi passes me doing about 90 or when there is a cross wind over 20mph. Other than that, I have zero complaints.

ReelJoy2

Reaction score
dale1 said:
Is it all bunks or any rollers?

all bunks and they are welded on. I shopped Owens and Sons too, but they do use bolting. I have a friend with a 38 Fountain and bolted on bunks. He has had major problems with the weight of the Fountain resting on the bunks and the vibration and bouncing that takes place going down the highway. They had to replace his bunks twice due to bolts shearing. He also got a free fiberglass repair job because on one of the adventures, his hull slammed down on bare steel (the bunk broke in half during transit, and rolled down the highway) while he was doing 55. My 2-cents, stay away from bolt on bunks when hauling boats in the 30' + class.