New (used) Gulfsteam owner

robcar

Reaction score
After selling my 96 Seafarer228 3 years ago, I'm back with a 2001 Gulfstream and very excited. Very low hours, and the hull never sat in the water over night. A few questions.

- Rocket launchers - I've seen a few posts here. The dealer(who is very fair) quoted me about $650 pre install. I see them out there for $300-400, and they look like they are good quality. Any suggestions for a good fit on Gulfstream? I'm generally shy of doing any modifications myself, but this looks easy.

- Head - I have a porta potty, which I hate dealing with. I read that some owners have upgraded to a macerator and pump out. The dealer indicated that this can be difficult, if at all. Any suggestions, costs, or guidance?

- Handling - My 228 had a 225Yama 2 stroke carb. Good, solid, and slightly over powered. 232 has Yami 250 Salt 2, OX66, which I assume is slightly under powered. I have read some comments about optimal speed for fuel(37RPM), but dealer said its happiest around 41RPM, which should give me 26MPH vs 31 for 229. I'm also hoping its not more difficult to dock, but the extended bracket always makes it a challenge. Any other notable handling differences I should know? My first trip will be 80 miles in LI Sound(Niantic - Stamford), but weather looks like 2 footers or less.

I'll have more questions, but any responses or guidance appreciated.

tks
Rob

cgmiller

Reaction score
How often do you use the head? Installing a head with a water supply and holding tank will be a major ordeal..I have used my boat 3 full seasons and I have not used the portapottie 1 time...the 5 gallon bucket gets used instead..much easier to clean..what type of rocket launchers are you talking about? You can get clamp on ones for 100 bucks or so unless you need them welded on..then 650 bucks each is probably close...you will get used to the handling of the boat with practice...good luck with her..they are big roomy boats..feel much bigger than 23 feet..

onoahimahi

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Congrats on your new Gulfstream...!

Depending on where and how you use your boat, you might be able to get away with a "direct discharge" marine head installation which is very easy to do and legal if you are three miles from shore. It is not legal if you are closer then 3 miles from shore so you will have to tell your crew to pee over the gunnel in that case 8)

It and other options are described here:
http://www.westmarine.com/WestAdvisor/S ... ion-System

Folks I know who have done this save their Portapotties and bring them along for cases where they are overnighting in an area where they don't want to do the direct discharge.

onoahimahi

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My first trip will be 80 miles in LI Sound(Niantic - Stamford), but weather looks like 2 footers or less.

I would make sure your marine towing insurance it up to date before making a first trip like that with a "new-to-you" boat. Things could show up in the 80-mile run that did not show up in the sea trial, like water in the gas or other fuel problems, engine overheating problems, etc.

Good luck,
-Scott

robcar

Reaction score
Head - with family and friends-when someone forgets to take care of business at the marina. Never with the guys. So, 25% of time.
Rocket launchers - 4-5 holders attaches to hard top. I'll add the individual clamp on to the railings as well.

Will look into that link, but I'm in LI Sound. Never 3 miles from anywhere.

Towing - Yes, got it, and almost needed it. Went 80 miles. Handled and performed BEAUTIFULLY, then died 1 mile from dock. I think the oil ran low, but then the gas line from main tank seemed to stop drawing gas. Pumped the bulb, with no luck. Switched to AUX, and finally got pressure in the bulb and gas to tank. Could be bad gas, but both tanks refilled recently. Could be left over water, ethanol, or junk that clogged the line....

Very impressed with the boat so far. More stable at rest and in motion. In 1-2 foot seas, was going 27mph at 40rpm. 23mph with 2-3 footers and headwind...

thanks for responses..

Jas

Reaction score
I put a four blade prop on my ’97 Gulfstream with Yam 250 and have gotten very good results. Really like it a lot and recommend it highly. Also when backing into my slip, I find if I tilt the engine up a tad the stern will respond better, but otherwise the Gulfstream is a tricky boat to manage with a single engine. If it is very windy I will open all the eisenglass I have, because yes I am a sailboat, and so are you it’s just a question of degree. Good luck.