New Windshield - Ideas for frame???

UCPA111

Reaction score
Hi all. I am looking to redo the windshield on my 1984 Seafarer. I don't have broken glass or otherwise....but the top of the window frame is directly in my line of site when running. So, I was thinking of fabricating a totally new windshield assembly (sides and fronts) with TALLER windows. I'd like to go higher so A.) the glass is what I'm looking through and B.) the wind is pushed even higher.

What I really need is a source for marine window framing. I can build the unit and have a local glass supplier who can get the proper glass.

This is probably an off the wall request, but figured I'd throw it out there!

Thanks!

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I don't think it's an off the wall question... but I do think it's going to be a lot of work and possibly a good deal of money. Have you thought about adding a simple t-top or hardtop (or just a bimini) and just using good quality clear vinyl for clarity? The cheap stuff is often wrinkly, but the better stuff is pretty much as clear as glass.

As mentioned, Taylor is a windshield manufacturer and they do make a really nice product... although they are VERY proud of their stuff! I've had Taylor windshields on all of my Sea Ray's and they are very well built. Check the the glass on your existing - there are other companies and their name is sometimes stamped there.

suzukidave

Reaction score
i looked into this before for a small boat. if you are looking for aluminum extrusion pieces that you can cut and fit together into a windshield yourself, there does not seem to be an online marine supplier catering to that. the custom windshield places are super pricey and maybe for good reason. you could talk to a local glazing shop or machine shop/fabricator that will have extrusion supplier catalogs. or maybe take your existing windshield apart and look online for the profiles.

https://www.hitechglazing.com/ca/en/category/moldings-and-aluminum-extrusions/1195520

Fishtales

Reaction score
Thoughts on doing it...
- The hull is 34 years old. Why do this now? How many years can you honestly expect to get out of it.
- Your looking at a custom job or a hack job. One will cost you money and the other tears and the butt of jokes.
- You could take the money and start your next boat fund.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Another thought... lower or raise the seat. Or replace the seat with a padded seat that has a flip-up bolster to allow to sit normal, or sit on the flipped up portion, which is usually somewhere around 6", give or take.

SeaVee

Reaction score
I am going thru something similar with my 265 Express. Starboard side vent window fell out. Easy to source the glass, impossible to find the extrusion piece that allows the window to open. Spoke to GW, who referred me to TaylorMade, who bought Water Bonnet, the OEM windshield mfr. They couldn’t help, referred me to a guy in FL. Never got a call back.
Now, I am trying to source something from Shower door Mfrs!
Any ideas on where to get a Marine grade extrusion component would be appreciated.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I am going thru something similar with my 265 Express. Starboard side vent window fell out. Easy to source the glass, impossible to find the extrusion piece that allows the window to open. Spoke to GW, who referred me to TaylorMade, who bought Water Bonnet, the OEM windshield mfr. They couldn’t help, referred me to a guy in FL. Never got a call back.
Now, I am trying to source something from Shower door Mfrs!
Any ideas on where to get a Marine grade extrusion component would be appreciated.
Search marine salvage yards.

suzukidave

Reaction score
this subject is interesting to me. there must be companies out there fabricating inexpensive windshields for boat makers using off the shelf extrusions and there must be insurers out there fixing windshields plus some consumer demand. the actual cut and fitment of a non curved windshield does not look terribly complex. yet there is almost nothing on the web.

Fishtales

Reaction score
use the net and look for a boat graveyard??

UCPA111

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. I'll share some of my thoughts:
- Why do this to a 34 year old boat? I recently restored it. All new everything essentially. I love the design and it's solid (new transom, new wiring, new plumbing, new motor, etc.). I don't think there's a boat out there made today with the same amount of cockpit space that is within 5-7 feet in length of it with workability around the transom to run downriggers and troll 10-12 lines.
I also have some other videos on my Youtube page: Shawn Gross
- I saw the Water Bonnet logo on the window and saw that Taylor Made purchased them. I haven't gone to Taylor Made yet.
- I stand when I run normally. So, the seating height is not a solution. I also don't want to just put a spacer under the existing. Not yet at least.
- I have a hard top and the goal is to minimize the distance between it and the top of the windshield. I do have canvas and isinglass, but I normally don't have it in position. And, I don't like looking through it.
- There won't be a hack job done on this. The frame today is basic geometric shapes. We have a shop and do all sorts of projects. This one doesn't seem difficult and we can make a nice template. I could actually draw it up in cad if I wanted as well. I want to fit with the lines of the existing boat.

I feel if I can find the components of the frame....buy stock lengths...and cut to fit...then it would be fantastic. I'll have to work with a glass supplier, but everything else is doable for me.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
"I do have canvas and isinglass, but I normally don't have it in position. And, I don't like looking through it."

I'm only reiterating what I said above because you may have missed my point. The better "versions" of isinglass are not isinglass. They are as clear as, or clearer, than regular glass. Of course, you would still have the windshield frame - and possibly that's more of the issue? But it seems that if you're standing most, or all of the time, then the frame wouldn't be anywhere near in your way?

On the flip side, if you have the ability/shop to do this yourself, then that certainly cuts down on the expense... and absolutely would be a neat project.

I did one quick google search and got some info, although dated. I didn't look any further, though: https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/6203-custom-aluminum-windshield-frame-manufacturer.html

suzukidave

Reaction score
if you stand, try building a plywood platform where you stand to test and mess with the height. you can add something more permanent if that works.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I don't think that he wants to look over it. Like a lot of us, he would like to stand, look thru a clear windshield, with a good wiper, and not have his face in a 40 mph wind for hours at a time. Not something many builders offer in the under 30 size of boat.

Having the ability to fabricate a new frame also means you have the ability to cut down a larger frame, which opens up a lot of possibilities in the salvage area.

Last edited:

suzukidave

Reaction score
fair enough. i prefer to stand and look over the windshield and sit down and use the windshield if it's raining or windy. possible a bad assumption he does too.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Another company you might check into is Pompanette. They probably will be happy to sell you a complete unit, but they also might be more agreeable to work with you on parts. I "think" they make their own extrusions, like Taylor Made - but I'm not sure. That's going to be the kicker - whether they make their own and will sell just parts at a reasonable cost, or if they can direct you to who makes the extrusions.

UCPA111

Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback.
I want the glass higher and frame out of view when standing. I don't tend to sit down that much when running. I like better angle to look at the water.
I have seen the heavier versions of isinglass. It's worth considering, but doesn't address the frame in my view. I also don't want to stand on a platform. That and the fact my dad is 6'3 and has the same issue (I am 6').
I will check out the items you suggested. If I can get something going, I'll share pictures.

Thanks!

Fishtales

Reaction score
Maybe a lower frame out of stock metal? 80/20 comes in many configurations, not sure how it would hold up in the salt environment though.