New Yamaha 200 vs E-tech 200

gradydriver

Reaction score
Scott....the fact that State government agencies use them is no selling point for me....typically they buy the cheapest thing available.....said e-tec.

onoahimahi

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Scott....the fact that State government agencies use them is no selling point for me....typically they buy the cheapest thing available.....said e-tec.

Government buyers are supposed to be doing the right thing by the American taxpayers. They are supposed to do the research necessary to make the informed decision that results in the best use of the taxpayers money. Based on my informal engine count, at the moment they seem to be transitioning from Hondas to E-TECs. Incidentally, speaking of American taxpayers, E-TECs, like Gradys, are built by them.

V/r,
-Scott

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I repowered my 1998 192 in 2004 with a F150. It was the first model year of that motor. Best money I have ever spent and when I sold the boat in 2009 it had almost 700 hours on that motor. I took care of it with annual oil changes and so forth. So, if you are thinking it being a new model or first year model, based on my experience it likely does not make a huge difference.

There are two ways at looking how to best spend tax payer dollars. You can go the cheapest route and spend more on maintenance and down time and so forth, or you can pay little more and get reliability and higher resale value down the road. Short sighted thinking has got us into this mess we are in today. I dont have an ax to grind on etecs or any other motor. Buy what you want. Prior to owning a Yammaha I was a fan of OMC products which includes Evinrude. Our family boat waaaay back in the early 1970s was a Thunderbird powered by a 85 hp Evinrude. My brothers 190 was powered by an Evinrude. I am sold on Yammaha after owning the F150 and I currently own a 25hp FS and a 250 FS.

I will say this, if you were in Florida, and you had any aspirations taking your boat to the Bahamas, Yamahas are like roaches over there and nearly every marine place I have stopped in has parts and somebody on the island who knows how to work on the Yammy. Heck I was down at Stainel Cay a few years ago in the Exumas and the one marine repair guy on the island was a yammy guy. With that said, I suspect he could tear appart any outboard, but he clearly had parts in stock for yammaha.

If anybody wants to know about a qood quality home theater reciever, the Yammaha Aventage series is awesome!!! I love mine. Honestly if Yammaha made cars I would likely buy one or if they made lawn mowers too. I drink the grey Kool aid all day long and listen to it too - lol.

CatTwentyTwo

Reaction score
gradydriver said:

I'm not sure that argument holds water.... this is from the FAQ section of Yamaha's website....

Does Yamaha offer sales incentives for government agencies purchasing outboard motors?
Yes. A sales program is available for all federal, state, and local government agencies. Benefits include cost incentives and a three (3) year Yamaha Limited Warranty for all four-stroke engine purchases. Government agencies should contact a local Yamaha dealer for further details.

Grouper Duper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
onoahimahi said:
1) 28-foot Dusky 278T with twin 200HOs: Troll 10MPG, Cruise 1.7 MPG at 46.3 MPH and a top speed 56.6 MPH.
2) 32'7" Andros Offshore 32 with twin 300s: Troll 7MPG, Cruise 1.6 MPG at 26.5 MPH through 1.5 MPG at 40.2 MPH. Top speed 52.6 MPH.

I'm actually surprised at the fuel burns on the Dusky. My Chase has similar dimensions and weight, but I get better mileage than that with my HPDIs (in "ideal" conditions 2.2 - 2.4 mpg). On a heavily-loaded trip to the Bahamas (200 gallons fuel, full water tank, five adults, one child, clothes and gear for a week), I was still able to get 2mpg at just over 30mph cruise. This was in nice sea conditions of course.

If they ever die, new F200s look great to me if I could stomach the price (I never buy new stuff!).

mboyatt

Reaction score
Let's not get Dan/Southeast started. All these facts are killing me. I may purchase a Yamaha again someday. Only problem is my 94 Evinrude Ocean Pro won't die. :eek: