New Yamaha 200

Capt. Ed

Reaction score
It's a lot lighter than old 200 and about the same weight as the current 150. Mercury Verado weights about the same, Evinrude E-tec is lighter by a little and Suzuki 200 is a whole lot heavier.

Not trying to sell this motor, just wanted to point out that if you are in the market for 150-200 HP Yamaha, this could be a very good choice. If you're anti-Yamaha, no problem, Grady's look good with anything hanging off the transom.

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
This motor will be the nail in the coffin on yamaha's high HP 2 stokes - bye bye 200 HPDI

Tim

Lucky13

Reaction score
fishingFINattic said:
This motor will be the nail in the coffin on yamaha's high HP 2 stokes - bye bye 200 HPDI

Tim

Could not agree more

Grady_Crazy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
With only 4 cyl and knowing how sluggish the old f200 was I can't help but think the hpdi will still run circles around this model. It can't have the torque and hole shot of the hpdi. I have owned the old F200 and now a Z200.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Is this motor definitely coming to the USA?

Miami Boat Show intro, perhaps?

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I authored this on another subject, I think more suitable here.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New or to be repowered Islanders and the others on same hull will now get the twin treatment of the new F200 4 cylinder Yamahas, seems to me.
Not likely to see the 6 cylinder V6s, but perhaps as a single - the F300 V6.

Same goes for the 20 foot models and Gulfstream, never see an F150 again on them new or repowers. Maybe even the 22 footers as well - as economic choice over V6 F.

Just maybe the 18 footer gets the F150, see no other use for F150s on gradys, IMHO.

Lets see if Yamaha figured out how to make a reliable balance shaft for its newest in line 4 cylinder, they blew it the first time on the F150 even thought the technology goes back to the 80s on inline 4 cylinder car motors.
Anyone buys the newest F200, get the 6 yr warranty even if you have to buy it.

I read it comes either with electronic controls or mechanicals to retrofit at a cost savings, nice idea !
Ironically what is mentioned is same transom drillings and centerlines as 2 stroke.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
The F150s are really nice on our Islander.

But the new 200s would be great to have.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
'I'm sure and being that they are basically one not two heads full of valve gear much more economic to manufactuer and price up. For a few years in a row when I was attending the NYC Boat Show, I would always ask the Yamaha factory guy when Yamaha is going to answer the call for a 175 like Suzie did to compete, same block as their 150. They said have no intention.

Was surprised to hear they went all the way to a I4 (Inline 4) 200. Now Suzie has to step it up. I recalled Verado had a supercharged 200 thought was an I4 but memory is what it is. Yamaha website has full product specs on I4 200.

I expect the I4 200 to be closer in price to the I4 F150, but we will see. It has to be a lot cheaper than any V6 4 stroke except leftover / excess inventory etc deals, simply because the extra 100 lbs plus for V6 is all intricate machinery.

The dual connectivity may jack it up.

I'm sure ETEC will show up with their next video boat pull stern to stern where they showed their V6 150 pulling an F150 equal boat backwards underwater on a hole shot, presuming all things are equal. I like the effects of competitition. Yamaha Fs were the only 4 stroke V6s that can't retrofit to same centerlines as any V6 twin 2 stroke did. Basically too fat, a lot more expense to seal (properly) and rebore 8 transom holes on repowers. Of course I expect to see others have done it but they don't mind their engines contacting eachother, but yamaha does, added 3 more inches to spec.

Engines are a big bart of our boats, little I see anymore here motor tech stuff. i.e. what ever happended to the F400 V8?, Yamaha factory rep said it was designed for that nameplate.

You use your motors many hours, I see a repower again one day for the Islander. Great resale on the F150s. Now you have another choice, perhaps a close enough price adder. Same goes for me on the Sailfish, but little use relatively speaking. I suffer from the have-to-work-too-many-hour-syndrome!