New Yamaha 4 strokes

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I'm reading the current F220, 225 and F250 are over, replaced by this new motor which adds a 300 to the mix.

Very interesting, can't wait to see at NY show, hope they are there.

The F350 show display has tired.

And probably some good deals on leftover V6 Fs to move them out.

I'll be asking yamaha rep what they did to improve the VST design to eliminate current issues and be more like 3 yr no maintenance etecs.

SoutheastFL

Reaction score
BobP said:
I'm reading the current F220, 225 and F250 are over, replaced by this new motor which adds a 300 to the mix.

Very interesting, can't wait to see at NY show, hope they are there.

The F350 show display has tired.

And probably some good deals on leftover V6 Fs to move them out.

I'll be asking yamaha rep what they did to improve the VST design to eliminate current issues and be more like 3 yr no maintenance etecs.

Seeing how these new motors are alot lighter and will have as good or even better torque than 2Ss they'll drive the Etecs right out of business. Older boats can use them without the worry of added weight on the transom now and the bass boat crowd will love the better torque and speed. The Etecs are dead.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The ETEC and HPDI will still have more torque down low and have a better hole shot. Now with the weights being about equal and the fuel consumption about the same at cruise, you can go either way. Now at idle and trolling the Yami 4S will blow the the ETEC and HPDI away so I can see this hurting the sales of 2 srokes.

I'm not sure I'd want to be the first one hanging a pair on my boat but if I were to buy new motors they'd probably be at the top of my list.

Grady_Crazy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I think this may have been mentioned before but it looks like the Yamaha website indicates that the engines are geared for the bass boat go fast crowd. What applications were these engines designed for? Bass fishing or trolling in a 23ft for Kings?

pros.png

GulfGrady

Reaction score
BobP said:
The 330 and it's CC counterpart would be ripping hot with F350s, F440, or even F450s. Too bad.
The 336 has F350's on it. They were even putting F350's on the 306.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
That's the newer models, older models had lower hull HP ratings.

bc282

Reaction score
The new yami engine is good news to the saltwater fisher-crowd and progress forward, but for the bass crowd it's definitely closer to it's name as the Game Changer. Yamaha dominates the salt water scene, but on the Bass scene the 4s engines are near non-existent (various good reasons, and the 250/300 HPDI 2s haven't done so well in the freshwater). The new engine will allow yamaha to effectively compete with other manufacturers in the bass scene and gain a whole new market for their product. So, it's a big move for yamaha and the biggest gains will be in the freshwater scene.

Grady_Crazy said:
I think this may have been mentioned before but it
looks like the Yamaha website indicates that the engines are geared for the bass boat go fast crowd. What applications were these engines designed for? Bass fishing or trolling in a 23ft for Kings?

pros.png

Bama96

Reaction score
There are two sets of new Yamaha motors.F200,F225,F250 in a 20" Shaft for Bass Boats called the VMAX SHO. 4.2L. There are also F225,F250, F300 all V6 4.2L for saltwater applications. Same block as the SHO with 25" Shaft and fly by wire controls. Yamaha is also reintroducing the old F250 3.3L with standard controls for use on re powers. Will help keep cost down in changing controls.

SoutheastFL

Reaction score
Grog said:
The ETEC and HPDI will still have more torque down low and have a better hole shot.

Not true, Yamaha's own testing has proven their new 4S's outperformed even their own brand of 2S's in all areas.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
SoutheastFL said:
Grog said:
The ETEC and HPDI will still have more torque down low and have a better hole shot.

Not true, Yamaha's own testing has proven their new 4S's outperformed even their own brand of 2S's in all areas.

Sorry but I don't believe it. Above 3K sure, from 2.5K to 3K the curves will be converging, but below 2.5K no. It's the nature of the beast with 2 strokes (and diesels) and 4 strokes. You want to have a smooth idle and peak power at 5500, well the bottom torque curve will pay for it. Tighten up the lobe separation for more low end and the idle sucks or use less cam then the upper end runs out of breath.

Did they test the 250 HPDI and the new F250 on a bass boat? You can put the right props on to make the results say what you want. Don't get me wrong, these motors are a HUGE step forward in outboard technology but marketing hype tends to overstep reality.

SoutheastFL

Reaction score
Grog said:
SoutheastFL said:
Grog said:

Sorry but I don't believe it. Above 3K sure, from 2.5K to 3K the curves will be converging, but below 2.5K no. It's the nature of the beast with 2 strokes (and diesels) and 4 strokes. You want to have a smooth idle and peak power at 5500, well the bottom torque curve will pay for it. Tighten up the lobe separation for more low end and the idle sucks or use less cam then the upper end runs out of breath.

Did they test the 250 HPDI and the new F250 on a bass boat? You can put the right props on to make the results say what you want. Don't get me wrong, these motors are a HUGE step forward in outboard technology but marketing hype tends to overstep reality.

You've already formed an opinion without having even tried the new 4Ss yourself yet and are claiming Yamaha's most troublesome engine, the 250 HPDI, will perform better - just incredible.

Fortunately your thinking is in the minority and Yamaha realized what junk the HPDI was and dumped them in favor of 4Ss years ago.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Yamaha never dumped 2 strokes, they have today the same lineup as 10 yrs ago including the 2nd generation HPDI - you can see them all in the latest catalog.

For if they didn't, no Yamaha product would ever be bolted to a bass boat.

We will see what the new saltwater 4S versions are, I just can't see how they trimmed that much weight.
2 heads worth of valvetrain weight can't be made to dissappear !

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
HPDI's are junk?

The 250's and 300's had "issues" that may or may not have been solved but that has nothing to do with performance tests. A non forced induction 4 stroke motor is not going to have the same power off idle as a 2 stroke motor with the same HP rating.

If you read all the posts you would (should) have noticed that I really like these new motors and if I were to repower with new motors they would probably be the ones hanging on the transom. Manufacturers are going to hype up their new offerings to entice people to buy them and in doing so they will make their product look like the best ever. In doing so they will feed us a little crap and I'm not biting the crap.

SoutheastFL

Reaction score
Grog said:
HPDI's are junk?

The 250's and 300's had "issues" that may or may not have been solved but that has nothing to do with performance tests. A non forced induction 4 stroke motor is not going to have the same power off idle as a 2 stroke motor with the same HP rating.

Yes, HPDI's ABSOLUTELY are junk. Its been well know in the boating community that Yamaha's 250 HPDI had alot of problems and is nowhere near as reliable as the first generation 4Ss. If the HPDI's do everything you claim and are so superior than 4Ss then why did Yamaha spend all that money to make 4Ss in the first place ? Because their HPDI's were a failure and boaters and even Yamaha know it. Fortunately they realized their mistake and went an entirely new and better direction instead of forcing their HPDI junk on all of us.

Look at how sellers of saltwater fishing boats with 250 and 300 HPDI's have to drastically reduce their selling price just to get rid of the boat, the engines are a total liability no matter the condition of the boat.

It truly amazes me you already claim Yamaha's new 4Ss have less power than their older 2Ss even after Yamahas own testing has proven otherwise. Unless you've been one of the privileged very few who've actually tested these engines already you most likely haven't even been on a boat with one yet - but are already certain their performance is inferior to 2Ss.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Grog said:
A non forced induction 4 stroke motor is not going to have the same power off idle as a 2 stroke motor with the same HP rating.

at 1500 RPM the ranking of power of typical marine motors (with similar rated power)
1. Diesels
2. 2 stroke gas
3. 4 stroke gas

Now why do you think the lower units of 2 strokes and 4 strokes have different ratios? The 200 HPDI is one of the best motors Yamaha has put out, ever.

Now can you get off the soap box and read my posts.

Desperado

Reaction score
I have to agree on the 3.1L big block (250 & 300) HPDIs. Too bad of a reputation. I would be warrry of buying a boat equiped with them. That being said the 2.6l block (150 & 200hp) are very solid motors, and the 200 is still manufactured by Yamaha. I do agree that 4 strokes are the wave of the future. If the new Yamahas fit the old 2 stroke layout for width, they will be a blessing to people repowering old 2 stroke boats.

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outboard/pr ... /home.aspx

bhemi

Reaction score
What is the new engines designation?

With Yamaha doing away with model years it's really hard to keep up with the model designations. Some are "drive by wire" but aren't they still selling ones with old style mechanical controls? Also, what is the diiference bewteen a 250BTXR and a 250BTUR.

As the new four strokes get lighter it opens up alternatives for repowers on older boats where the amount of weight hanging off the transom makes a difference.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If that F300 V6 is as reliable as the other four strokes from Yamaha that thing will be a beast!! It has the right weight and power and has some awesome performance numbers. Would be a great engine for a 330 Express or even a 30 express or marlin.

232 GULF

Reaction score
I'm strongly considering repowering my 2000 232 Gulstream with the new 300hp V6. My GW dealer has approved it, saying that the hull/transom can definitely handle the torque. Should be a perfect fit in my opinion......