New Yamaha outboards

TunaT

Reaction score
I saw the article on Boat tests.com on the new 4-strokes from yamaha. Anyone here heard anything on them yet? They are supposed to be available to general public first of year, but some dealers have then now. They are built on the 4.2 ltr block while the old ones are on the 3.3 ltr block, they are targeting the bass fishing market, but it should yield us some nice benefits. Lighter to start with and with options on horsepower we didn't have before. Just checking to see if anyone knows any dealers that have the new ones and if they are as good as they say they are going to be.

bc282

Reaction score
these new engines will not be for just the bass market.
with 4.2L large displacement and less weight, it gives the engines phenomenal hole shot and speed which is touted to even out perform 2-stroke engines which still dominate the bass scene and so may be the most significant move for yamaha to gain in that area where they have been lagging in performance behind ETEC and Merc.

The new engines will also benefit the saltwater scene too (yamaha already dominates here) with digital controls (a beautiful thing for twins and trips), lighter weight, better torque for reduced hole shots and better capability to stay on plane in the slop or low speeds, better fuel economy and a light weight 300hp option.

I like my twin F225's or F208's as some say and can only imagine what my 282 would be like with the newer F225's or even F250's and saving about 100# off the transom.

Ed Bukala

Reaction score
We are located in Ontario Canada and have ordered a new Tournament 225 for spring 2010 delivery. Our Grady dealer Desmasdons Boat Works(great guys) worked very closly with me on the engine choice. At first it was thought that the new 250 would have minimal changes and would not be available till July. So we ordered the boat with the "old" 250. Well when we found out how significant the changes were, Desmasdons ordered a "new" model 250 and we are expecting delivery in early April, not July. We are real excited about the many changes, 51 pounds lighter, potentially less fuel consumption, better acceleration, faster cruising speed without loss of fuel efficiency etc.etc. The new 300 hp is 246 pounds lighter! These new engines should be a real positive change but of course only time will tell. What would be interesting is new owners like us once we commision "Bukster" next spring , should write periodic comments/reviews of our "real" world experiences with these motors. It's going to be a long winter !
Bukster

bc282

Reaction score
Ed, i think you're going to be very pleased with the new engine.
let us know how they work out for you.

GWcpa

Reaction score
Ed,

Did you have a 185 that you sold or traded? Edit: See that you traded it.

Congrats on the new 225 and Yamaha. That should be a very nice package and move up.

Barbender

Reaction score
We are located in Ontario Canada

Nice to see another fellow Canadian on the site. Where do you do most of your boating Ed? I grew up in Ontario boating as a young boy and teenager, first in the Gananoque area then Georgian Bay. Moved west for the fishing. Good luck on this new boat. Sounds like a sweet ride.

Ed Bukala

Reaction score
Hi Barbender
We do most of our boating at this time in Lake St Clair. This upcoming season will be our second out of Mitchells Bay and with the new boat we plan on boating into the Detroit river, then on to Lake Erie for a few day/overnite trips. Fishing and boating in Lake St Clair is great, world class bass, walleye(little tougher to catch), jumbo perch, Crappie, Muskee etc. If the lake is rough we cut up into the rivers and still have lots of fun. You mention Gergion Bay so you are probably aware of Desmasdon's Boat Works then, in Pointe Au Baril. They are our Grady dealer and top notch. When we pick up "Bukster" in the spring we will stay up in the area fishing for spring Walleye. They will then bring her down to Mitchells'Bay for us and launch. We lucked out and have one of only 4 slips at our Marina that has the lift out system so Bukster stays high and dry when not in use, love that. Will post some pictures in the spring.
Bukster

Barbender

Reaction score
When I was young my dad bought a boat from the Windsor Yacht Club. It was a old wooden 40ft Pacemaker that was a nightmare in upkeep (but it was cheap and dad could not pass up a deal). It had new twin 350 chrysler inboards (the previous owner pumped diesel gas into it by accident hence new motors) but everything else was rotten or rotting. I spent a whole summer in that area fixing her up for the run to Penetanguishene so I know Point Au Baril well. We used to spend our summers at Bay Moorings Yacht club next to Dutchman's Cove, not sure if your familiar with that area. Regards.