New years day traditions

RAINMAKER

Reaction score
We always have pork , greens , black-eyed peas, and cornbread. Supposedly that brings good luck and prosperity. I don't know but it sure does taste good. :D

GW VOYAGER

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Same meal here Rainmaker.
Green for money
Black eyed peas for luck
Pork I guess is for a big waistline.
I don't know but I sure like it.

Grady_Crazy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Same here, I have had this every new Year's day all my life. The only exception, being in SC I like my peas over rice. Sorta like Hoppin John. Gotta have cornbread and the greens must be collards, fresh out of the ground! I had to give up the fried pork chops though, grill them now.

newyeardin5.jpg

When I was a newly married lad I heard you could clean your turnip greens by putting them in the clothes washer. I tried it and the spin cycle did a number on the greens. What a mess!

1st grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Up here in the PA dutch region, pork signifies good luck because pigs root forward for food, (looking ahead into the new year), chickens scratch backward (going back to the old ways).

sickday

Reaction score
Our New Years Day tradition starts tomorow; headed to my Marlin for an overnighter with my two boys, Sturgeon and Striper fishing in the Bay/Delta. :D ,,,wish I could bring that hot meal with me!

hotajax

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
NY Day

Ya gotta stop with the talk of the South - makes me wish I was back living in Georgia.

Grady_Crazy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The boss had to go see her Dad today so I am in charge of the dinner. Black eyed peas in the crock pot, collards boiling on the fish cooker and the 1" thick pork chops waiting to go on the grill. Watching football and having a Yuengling. It just don't get any better, unless you are on the water!

alantani

Reaction score
when i was a kid, my parents and grandparents were always stressed around this time of year. my grandmother explained that it was japanese custom to tidy things up before the end of the year. she and my aunts would scrub and sweep and toss out trash cans filled with junk. these were all things that would not be carried through to the next year. then they'd start to cook. that would start 2 days before new year's day and continue through the new year's eve poker game.

on new year's day, we'd all show up at my grandparent's farm and have "ozoni," a traditional japanese new year's day soup. you had to eat that first before you had anything else. then we'd pig out on all the other traditional japanese foods that i'm sure all of you are familiar with. us guys would watch a little football, the girls would clean up, and then we'd have our traditional family soccer game. my father would be the goalie on one end and my eldest aunt would be the goalie on the other. it was great fun. those were our family new year's traditions.

there was one more thing that my grandmother had spoken of only once, yet it's always stuck with me. she said that, before new year's day, you had to pay all of your debts, you had to return all those things that you had borrowed, and you had to apologize to all those that you had offended. this last one was particularly important to her, because she said that an offense carried into the new year could stay with you forever. just as importantly, if someone offered you an apology, you were obliged to accept it. it was important to her that no ill will be carried into the new year.

so to all of you, i wish a safe new year's eve and a happy, peaceful and properous 2010. alan

1_30_12_09_4_41_56_0.jpeg

RAINMAKER

Reaction score
Nice looking family Alan, also nice traditions also. Your Grandmother is wise. :D

Bob Coco

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Pork on New Years Day in Romania

I was in Romania for the new year and they too eat pork on New Years day. It's a little different there though. At 8 AM they started with "The traditional cutting of the Pig". They then cook it on a huge bbq. I guess it would have been a pit but the hotel used a grill. They served pork and Pilenta and pickled vegetables. All while drinking a hot wine? I had never seen or heard of any tradition at all. Up here in New York it's just a relaxing day to recover after a late night. It's good to know that there's still tradition carried out in America. :)