Newbie...advice needed

green159

Reaction score
Hi everyone, new to the forum, just came across it in the last week or so.

Seriously beginning to get into the Market for a boat (live in NC). Looking between 23 and 30 feet (would love the 26 express just off looks). Looking for advice as I truly don't know what "type" of boat would be a good fit.

I want something that I can tow (chevy 2500 4x4) first, pull up on the sandbar/cruise with the wife or run offshore and have a stable sturdy platform, that will be safe and can handle the rough weather if I ever get stuck in it.

Have experience fishing, but never had my "own" boat. What would be a good "beginner" boat, as far as handeling?

Budgett is tight, not looking to go over 50K would prefer to stay below 30 to 35 (including new truck I just got for 4K).

Any advice from model, lenders, insurance, gear, etc... is more than welcome. Don't know a lick about buying a boat, just know that I want a Grady!

Thanks in advance

Travis

SwampGrizz

Reaction score
Start by looking for a Seafarer 228G. They have been described as kind of the SUV of boats. All Gradys are well made, quality boats, and the customer support is second to none. The 228G may not be exactly what you are looking for, but it's a good place to start. Good luck with your search.

SwampGrizz
Savannah, Ga.

NikM820

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I second the seafarer. Also on your list should be the gulf steam. It's a wider boat requires more HP but is a big 23ft boat. For your budget I would say look for an older hull with newer power. Get a real marine survey and be cautious of pre 2004 225 yamaha 4 strokes. If you're unaware of what I'm talking about do a Google search. anything bigger though you're gonna end up with much more cost in the long run, not to mention older power.
Good luck
Nick

Capt. Ed

Reaction score
228G is a great choice if you need cabin. However, don't overlook the 225 Freedom. Does everything you want it to do and offers tremendous versatility.