Newbie here advise needed

Pillguy

Reaction score
Hi all,
Grew up sailing as a family and had a sailboat for a few years in the 1990s and then just sailed on friends boats. Fast forward to last yeas as I got boating fever and bought a chaparral 260 signature and have spent too much time fixing up and realizing I should have gotten something different and planning to sell.
I like the 26-28 foot boat as I want to overnight with wife on occasion and use it mostly as a family boating, some fishing on inland lakes and coastal Florida. Has to have a cabin, and bathroom. I like the sailfish 282 with dual outboards. Budget less than $60K.
Please let me know your thoughts, insight and advise.
Thank you

Attachments

• 20190629_154130.jpg
    20190629_154130.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 5

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I am careful to expound on just what I am familiar with, so I'll cover what I can.

A Sailfish 282 will do what you want. Since you mentioned inland lakes, you'll have to trailer it. Whatever vehicle you use to pull your Chap should jerk the 282. Ideally, a 3/4 or 1-ton diesel is best, but that's negotiable. Technically you'll need overwide permits, the beam on the 282 is 9' 6" I believe. (Not sure.) 8' 6" is the max width you can pull without needing permits. Watch your height as well, I think a 282 will come in under 13' 6" on the trailer, but it's essential that you know.

This is a pet peeve of mine. I consider it of utmost importance that you make sure the trailer is overbuilt. A marginal trailer close to being maxed out will do you no favors in the long run. Bearings will blow, brakes go bad and welds break. On any of my boats that I trailered, I made sure to have a 3-4K cushion built in. Ex; My Marlin 300 had a trailer that was 18K Cap, 3 7000Lb axles and Electric Over Hydraulic brakes. Pulled like a dream.

A 282 will be a great coastal boat. It will be comfortable in reasonable conditions, anything over 15kts and 2-3 footers in open water will make you want to go back home, but if you need to slog thru it, the boat won't let you down. I've never been below on one, but it'll be enough room for two.

As to potential problems with a used boat, I will leave off and let the experts here expound on those.

Pillguy..Are you a Doctor? Pharmacist?

I was a drummer/singer. Much less important in the scheme of things, but a fun gig....

Pillguy

Reaction score
I am careful to expound on just what I am familiar with, so I'll cover what I can.

A Sailfish 282 will do what you want. Since you mentioned inland lakes, you'll have to trailer it. Whatever vehicle you use to pull your Chap should jerk the 282. Ideally, a 3/4 or 1-ton diesel is best, but that's negotiable. Technically you'll need overwide permits, the beam on the 282 is 9' 6" I believe. (Not sure.) 8' 6" is the max width you can pull without needing permits. Watch your height as well, I think a 282 will come in under 13' 6" on the trailer, but it's essential that you know.

This is a pet peeve of mine. I consider it of utmost importance that you make sure the trailer is overbuilt. A marginal trailer close to being maxed out will do you no favors in the long run. Bearings will blow, brakes go bad and welds break. On any of my boats that I trailered, I made sure to have a 3-4K cushion built in. Ex; My Marlin 300 had a trailer that was 18K Cap, 3 7000Lb axles and Electric Over Hydraulic brakes. Pulled like a dream.

A 282 will be a great coastal boat. It will be comfortable in reasonable conditions, anything over 15kts and 2-3 footers in open water will make you want to go back home, but if you need to slog thru it, the boat won't let you down. I've never been below on one, but it'll be enough room for two.

As to potential problems with a used boat, I will leave off and let the experts here expound on those.

I was a drummer/singer. Much less important in the scheme of things, but a fun gig....
Thanks for response, I have learned the hard way about pickup trucks as i started with a tundra and now have a diesel truck, feels better towing I wou,d say.

Yes, pharmacist by trade after many years in school. LOL!
Appreciate the insights esp. on size and heights, and on trailer mine is giving me fits with stuck calipers (new) and would agree electric over hydraulic seems to be a good safety factor.

capeguy

Reaction score
A Sailfish 282 in the 2004-2006 vintage years should be right around the $60K mark depending on engines and options. I had an 06 with F225s for about 7 years and loved it. Happy to answer any questions.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Thanks for response, I have learned the hard way about pickup trucks as i started with a tundra and now have a diesel truck, feels better towing I wou,d say.

Yes, pharmacist by trade after many years in school. LOL!
Appreciate the insights esp. on size and heights, and on trailer mine is giving me fits with stuck calipers (new) and would agree electric over hydraulic seems to be a good safety factor.

I used to be an errand boy for a pharmacy in 1980. I got fired when I overheated their VW Beetle. The fan belt broke, disabling the fan and I didn't realize they were air cooled in those days.

At that point, I started performing full-time. I made more money playing Lynyrd Skynyrd and making girls dance than I ever did delivering pharmaceuticals anyway.

Good luck with your search!

Kizuna

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
You could also look at the Islander as well. Not as big as the sailfish, but just over 26' and a 8'6" beam makes it more trailer friendly.