Newbie needs help please_FIRST boat- new vs. used GW?

jep1

Reaction score
I've been researching top tier dual console 20-25 foot boats for the past 6 months and have decided that hands down GW is the best quality boat for my money. Ideally, I am looking for a well-maintained, 5-10 year old Freedom 215 or 225 (lowest tide at my dock is 22 inches), with a 200 HP yamaha with low hours. It is impossible to find at any local Florida dealers because there is such high demand for center consoles. Because of that I am feeling forced to look at new but my budget would have to expand into my discretionary travel budget and I don't want to do that since I worked like a dog my whole life and now want to fish and travel.

I found this website by accident when trying to expand my search outside of Florida for used boats. I looked nationally and there are some on Boattrader.com and others but how do you know you can trust these websites?

Also, all the "advice" on various websites and youtubes tell novices like me to buy from your local dealers so your can bring back to the service dept. (unless you know how to do the work yourself of course).

How important is this for someone without experience?

Thanks in advance for any/all help!

JJF

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
Hi,

IMO, if you buy a GW from out of state, but you have good local GW dealer, you should be fine. If you are buying from a GW dealer, that's even better.

Don't be afraid to travel to find the right/good boat.

Whatever you buy, get a survey.

here is a 20' at my local dealer. They are good people and I can't imagine them steering you wrong.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
If you are buying new you are better off with a local dealer. Warranty service can be done there easier. But make sure the dealer has a good service reputation. I'm sure a member here can validate the dealer. Beyond warranty it's less important. You need to line up someone for engine service and maybe misc. boat work.

Hopefully you are a somewhat handy guy. It's really difficult to find guys that will take small jobs on.

Best advise is talk to neighbors and friends with boats. Have them help you with finding a clean boat.

Where in FL are you? Add it to your Member profile.

Rustygaff

Reaction score
Keep your eyes open for a newly used low hour Freedom 235 on the east coast. They are out there but you cannot be afraid to travel if the deal is right.

jep1

Reaction score
Hi,

IMO, if you buy a GW from out of state, but you have good local GW dealer, you should be fine. If you are buying from a GW dealer, that's even better.

Don't be afraid to travel to find the right/good boat.

Whatever you buy, get a survey.

here is a 20' at my local dealer. They are good people and I can't imagine them steering you wrong.

Thanks JJF, I'll check it out!

jep1

Reaction score
Keep your eyes open for a newly used low hour Freedom 235 on the east coast. They are out there but you cannot be afraid to travel if the deal is right.

Definitely not afraid to travel. I would love to see the east coast or anywhere in the USA! Do you know of any reputable local (regional) northeastern websites I could use?
Thanks!

igblack87

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 222
craigs list is a great place to start.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
A Grady White freedom is not a center console.
On any craigslist page, click the CL in the little circle in the upper left-hand corner, to go to the homepage. There you can search by state and city in the right hand column. Or, once you are on the boats for sale page, you can select search options in the left-hand column, such as 300 miles from a particular ZIP Code. Or you can search by expanding the circle in the center of the map, to search within that circle. You can then drag that circle around the map to change your search area. The circle on the map may only be an option on your mobile devices, rather than your desktop, not sure about that offhand.

Last edited:
Reactions: igblack87

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
When I looked for our boat I came across a number of scammers on craigslist, but there were plenty of legit boats there too.
In my experience Boat trader was safe, but often boats posted there were tough to sell because of condition or the owner was asking too much.
Seems like most of the best boats start in Facebook marketplace. For the record, I don't use Facebook, but my wife does. If they don't sell there, then they will pop up other places in time.
A great analogy for you to keep in mind is that a boat is not like a car. Car owners are spoiled by the reliability and very low maintenance of very complex modern vehicles. The quality controls in boat building is light years behind cars. Component failures on boats isn't uncommon even if they are new.
Most members on this site are fairly handy. If your favorite tool in your toolbox is your credit card, make certain you have a reputable surveyor look over the boat end engine thoroughly.
Happy hunting!

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

seasick

Reaction score
What is your tidal swing ( low to high)
The 225 with the motor down will not clear the bottom at low tide. Granted you would tie off the boat with the motor up but you have to have it down for the approach and departure.

jep1

Reaction score
If you are buying new you are better off with a local dealer. Warranty service can be done there easier. But make sure the dealer has a good service reputation. I'm sure a member here can validate the dealer. Beyond warranty it's less important. You need to line up someone for engine service and maybe misc. boat work.

Hopefully you are a somewhat handy guy. It's really difficult to find guys that will take small jobs on.

Best advise is talk to neighbors and friends with boats. Have them help you with finding a clean boat.

Where in FL are you? Add it to your Member profile.

Sorry, Somehow I missed your advice which is really great. No, I'm not handy at all but I don't mind assisting my "handyman" who has some boating knowledge.

I also have a couple of friends and I'm meeting new neighbors here on Choctawhatchee Bay in Santa Rosa Beach, Fl. However, none of them know the Grady White brand or much about dual consoles so I reached out to this community. Everyone here has Center Consoles- I see a lot of Pathfinder CC 20-25'.

I've spoken to the GW salesperson in Panama City Beach, Fl (about 30 miles fr me) and they didn't seem too interested in helping me ( I think it's my budget of 50K)-they mostly had new boats or much higher priced used boats. They said they would call but it's been 3 months...

Thanks for your advice

jep1

Reaction score
On any craigslist page, click the CL in the little circle in the upper left-hand corner, to go to the homepage. There you can search by state and city in the right hand column. Or, once you are on the boats for sale page, you can select search options in the left-hand column, such as 300 miles from a particular ZIP Code. Or you can search by expanding the circle in the center of the map, to search within that circle. You can then drag that circle around the map to change your search area. The circle on the map may only be an option on your mobile devices, rather than your desktop, not sure about that offhand.

I am looking to buy a dual console. Sorry if that was confusing.
Great help about craigslist, thanks.

JJF

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
Here you go:

jep1

Reaction score
When I looked for our boat I came across a number of scammers on craigslist, but there were plenty of legit boats there too.
In my experience Boat trader was safe, but often boats posted there were tough to sell because of condition or the owner was asking too much.
Seems like most of the best boats start in Facebook marketplace. For the record, I don't use Facebook, but my wife does. If they don't sell there, then they will pop up other places in time.
A great analogy for you to keep in mind is that a boat is not like a car. Car owners are spoiled by the reliability and very low maintenance of very complex modern vehicles. The quality controls in boat building is light years behind cars. Component failures on boats isn't uncommon even if they are new.
Most members on this site are fairly handy. If your favorite tool in your toolbox is your credit card, make certain you have a reputable surveyor look over the boat end engine thoroughly.
Happy hunting!
Thanks so much- I am afraid of craigslist for that reason!

jep1

Reaction score
What is your tidal swing ( low to high)
The 225 with the motor down will not clear the bottom at low tide. Granted you would tie off the boat with the motor up but you have to have it down for the approach and departure.
I have only checked lowest tide which is 22 inches at the end of my dock. I was told I could trim the motor up as I dock the boat. I'm not sure about "tidal swing" but I'll Google it and figure it out. Thank you!

seasick

Reaction score
Yes you can trim up the motor but at some point you will lose some control. That may or may not be an issue depending on things like wind and current.
There is also a limit to how much you can trim up before the prop ventilates and/or the motor starts sucking air instead of cooling water

JJF

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
I have only checked lowest tide which is 22 inches at the end of my dock. I was told I could trim the motor up as I dock the boat. I'm not sure about "tidal swing" but I'll Google it and figure it out. Thank you!
Keep in mind that if you frequently operate in low water, you should change the water pump/impeller more often...just sayin' ;)

Fishtales

Reaction score
Either way will work for you. Some things likely most repeats - get a good survey, check for water intrusion, check general conditions of gelcoat, hull (any damage or signs of repair), upholstery, any upgrades done, maintenance, how was it prepped and cared for prior to and during layup and finally maintenance records? You can tell a lot about the boat based on how it was maintained and looks.