newbie needs some help with the head on a Freedom 307?

Neeen

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 307
Trying to get my head discharge working on a freedom 307

pumpout at dock works but discharge doesn't.

open the sea cock, jabsco control panel - hit level then hold empty down for 3 secs ... pump runs for 20sec and shuts off.
no discharge. then red light on panel pump picture comes on and panel flashes.

so wondering is there a 'Y' valve somewhere on this?

there is one more thing going on - seems I am getting a leak back into bowl from tank - I figure this would be the duck valve - is the duck valve a 'standard' size for all marine heads?
where in the line would I find these - obviously want to take off as little as possible!

any help / advice would be sincerely appreciated!!

thanks

JJF

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
I can help with the duck valve. It's actually called a joker valve. There are different sizes.

Neeen

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 307
Any help would be welcome ... I bought used (2016) and there are no manuals for the head itself. Grady manual showed me where the tank is but no detail on parts or line details.

I think it is a 10gal tank, boats a 307 ... what size joker valve or part number, would I need, how many and where are they located.

Convinced I can do this, good access and the tank was just replaced so shouldnt be too bad.

Thanks for the help.

JJF

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
Hi,

The joker valve part number is dependent on the brand/model/type of head.

On my boat, which has a JABSCO electric head, the joker valve is just after the macerator assemble found on page 5 at the following link.

The joker valve is part of pump cylinder (part #28) on Page 8 at the following link for the manual pump.

Neeen

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 307
really appreciate the links!! thank you

JJF

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
it seems really off that it doesn't discharge via the pump when the seacock is open.

You said the tank was just replaced. Who replaced it? I would suggest calling them.

Neeen

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 307
grady dealer - swears it worked when replaced - I asked them to test it again when I bought the boat and they told me they couldn't actually test it because there was no way to test it and be environmentally correct. losers. tank looks brand new - at least I know they didn't lie about that.

the electric head link was perfect - exactly what I have. thank you so much for that.

I was thinking maybe a suction problem? because I am desperate now ..
- definitely getting waste creeping back into the toilet ...
will order the joker valve and get it in. see what happens.

JJF

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
ok...

On my boat, behind a hatch in the console, there is an upside "U" with hoses running to it & a small vent cap on top of the "U". When I use my pump-out, I can hear a whistle/whine coming from the vent.

to see if there is a vacuum lock or something, you can try the following...at your own risk (lol)

Try removing the waste cap on the gunnel and then try using the JABSCO pump-out switch. I am suggesting this as a test to see if it is vacuum locked. I don't know if it is ok to do this, but I can't see it harming the system.

Neeen

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 307
at least it is something to try! all in - will be down at the boat tomorrow. sincere thank you for all the advice

seasick

Reaction score
If your MSD is electric flush, There may be two macerator pumps depending on your system model. On is at the head and it macerates and pumps waste from the bowl to the holding tank. That pump operates when the flush function is enabled (switched on). The second macerator pump would be near the holding tank and is used to pump out the waste tank to the overboard discharge thru hull ( The overboard discharge function.
If you have a separate switch for overboard discharge, that switch powers the second macerator.
See if you have the second pump and see if the pump is operational.
Check your waste tank vent. There will be that vents through the hull. If blocked that could explain a lot of the issues.

You also may have that loop mentioned above
The little cap on the top has a one way rubber valve that can go bad and that can cause vacuum to be lost and make the pump unable to suck out waste from the tank.

Neeen

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 307
excellent info - thank you !!

seasick

Reaction score
I forgot to point out that the little valve on that tube if bad can cause the pumpout to not work BUT the pump will still run and if nearby you should be able to hear it run

Neeen

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 307
lots of good information - I am sure I can track this down now -

yes, pump is running, can hear it - just not enough vacuum to pick up and empty tank.

just got my joker valves will try that first and hope for the best!

will let you know if it has a happy ending

JJF

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
OP...

any resolution to your issue? (just curious)

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
If you ran the discharge while the valve was closed, you could have reversed the duckbill. I just went through this on my 330. The duckbill was sucked backwards and prevented any pump out while at sea. Replaced it and now works fine. Also May want to check the bellow in case it’s cracked.

Neeen

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 307
Thanks for asking - I did replace one duck valve at the base of the electric flush gizmo - that stopped the back flow - thank god. At this point I just declared a victory and went out.
but alas, it is still weighing heavy on me for phase II. Just havent had the time to get in there and do anymore. getting higher on the list. I am going after the vented loop next.
there is only one joker valve on this - right? or is there another near the tank pumpout macerator?

JJF

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
I believe there is only one joker valve, but I could be wrong (don't think so, though).

Neeen

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 307
its gotta be that vented loop - going to get it done this week end - I hate having it hanging over me. will let you know how it goes.

JJF

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
BTW..

I wrote up instructions for guests for how to use the head. If you send me your email address, I will send them to you. If they match how your head is used; great. If they don't match; then you will have a good example to work from.

I laminated the instructions and have them posted above the head.