Newbie Purchasing a new Gulfstream 232

Joseph3663

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Hi everyone, my wife and I might be buying a new 232 Gulfstream. We were able to board one that was tied up to the dock but weren’t able to get a ride in it. The boat feels solid and the stability was pretty good at rest In a mariner. Can anyone tell me what their experience is with Grady White, like customer service, product quality? I’m kind of hesitant on pulling the trigger, one reason is due to the note it’ll cost. Aside from my house this would be the second largest purchase. So I’m really nervous about that. Are the re-sale values good on these boats? Any insight that could help would be greatly appreciated.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I was looking for my 228 Seafarer for just over a year before finally finding my boat and in that time, I stepped foot on a 232 Gulfstream and realized that it wasn't the boat for me for a couple of different reasons. That being said, I've never been one to buy something brand new as the boat is going to depreciate tremendously over the next several years. I have to imagine a brand new moderately loaded 232 Gulfstream is going to likely be around $225k? Of which I'd personally buy something used and spend less than half that price and get essentially the same boat for considerably less money. I believe all of the new 232 Gulfstream's come with twin motors and I'm assuming you're wanting to go that route? For a bit of a comparison, there are used 232 Gulfstream's on Boat Trader from anywhere in the high $20k range on up to the low $100k's. I'd say the $100k or more and buy something lightly used and definitely make sure you take it out for a test drive first before purchasing. Just my thoughts of course, I'm sure someone will come along shortly here and tell me that I'm wrong, but oh well.

SeanC

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The first question is have you had boats before, because the idea of owning a boat and the reality can quite different. They are quite expensive to run and maintain. Usage is weather dependent and always seems to be, that when you have the time to use it the weather is crap and when the weather is great you are tied up with other things. You will usually use it far less that you thought you would. I am talking about saltwater offshore use. I know quite a few people who have paid a lot for a boat only to sell it within a couple of years due to lack of use. Of course if you have owned a boat before you will know all of this.

Do not buy without taking it for a on water test, preferably when the conditions aren't perfect. It's a big purchase so you want to be sure it suits your needs. I would rate Grady Whites as a second tier boat. They are solidly built generally using good quality hardware but lacking some of the refinements of a top tier boat but this isn't really going to impact your enjoyment. Customer service is good and Gradys generally have a good reputation. But in the end it is a boat and not an investment. Boats in general depreciate fast so resale value wouldn't be something I would use to determine which boat make to purchase.

Having said that I love my 228 even with everything I have just written. And yes I don't get to use it anywhere near as much as I would like.

Reactions: DogBone and mjm1957

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Both Mustang and SeanC have given good advice here.

I owned a 232 Gulfstream for 10 years and trailered it everywhere. Pros/Con's below:

Pros:
They are a roomy, safe platform with a "widebody" beam-to-length ratio. They are stable and really safe, given reasonable sea conditions and an experienced hand at the helm.

They have been built by Grady for many years and all the bugs have been worked out.

Grady has incredible customer service. Great front office. I have written many articles for Anchorline and Docklines and they are great to work with on all levels.

They just look cool. I realize this is a matter of personal taste.

The sightlines are excellent around the helm.

it is truly the Biggest 23 footer on the Market. It really is a great boat.

Cons:

Beam is 9' 3" amidships just aft of the helm area. This makes it illegal to trailer in most, if not all, states. Some get permits, some say screw it...Your call.

Speaking of trailering, if you plan on jerking it around, you will need a 3/4 or a full-ton truck. A gasser will do it, but you'll live Life under 10MPG. Diesel is the way here.
It will be 12' 2" to 12' 6" with a hardtop, maybe higher. Have a heightened sense of awareness regarding low hanging tree limbs, gas station awnings, etc.
DO NOT SKIMP on your trailer! Mine was 14K cap with twin 7K axles. I would do that again tomorrow if outfitting another trailer for it. The result of an under rated trailer or one close to cap is blown bearings, premature brake failures, and stress on components.

The Gulfstream has a cabin, but poorly designed, in my view. It has a beyond-useless stove & sink on the port side, which no one I know has EVER used. It takes up valuable sleeping & storage space. It has a "Top Bunk" that folds out, but only young children can sleep up there comfortably. You and your Wife can sleep in the lower area. It has a filler cushion designed for the purpose, and a head below the cushions on the starboard side. I never used mine. Sleeping that close to...well.... never appealed to me.

It is rock-solid, as mentioned, but it pounds in a head or quartering sea unless you really put lots of tab in it. This is due to the hull slap caused by the wide beam-to-length ratio. Safe as can be, but a bit bumpy in anything over a 2 ft wind-driven chop. It'll go up-and-down 4-6 ft swells all day.

Now, My Opinions, since I'm writing this:

The only viable power options are twins. Does it come with a single? Yes. Is it cheaper? Yes. Is it a good idea? NO.

Because of the weight and the extra beam and the fact that the engines are removed from the running surface being mounted on a bracket, it's hard to horse it around a dock in windy conditions or with a current running.

The twins are a game-changer with regard to close quarter maneuvering IF you know how to do it. If not, they will do you no more good than a single.
The Gulfstream needs twins for the reasons I outlined above. if you are not familiar with the nuances of prop thrust, inertia and the other factors that go into operating twin engines, pay a Captain to teach you if you buy a Gulfstream. You'll catch onto it by the end of the season with practice, and your gelcoat will thank you.

I personally prefer twin V6 200's for this hull. My cyber-friend Fishtales on here likes the 150's. Nowadays the Yamaha 200 i4's might be an option, although you'll lose torque and planing power without those 2 extra cylinders.

I would also encourage you to follow up on Mustang's advice by finding a good used model and save big. In case the boats not for you, you could potentially unload it for little or no loss if you keep it up during your ownership period. Let someone else eat that depreciation.

SeacC has good points as well. A Sea Trail is mandatory to make sure you bond with the rig and are comfortable with it. Also, be Real and make sure you'll really use it before sinking that kind of Jack into one. So many have sold them prematurely after purchasing with the best intentions.

These are good problems to have. Good luck!

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I’d recommend spending a bit more time on different models before pulling the trigger. As other mentioned each GW model has a slightly different purpose, ideal conditions, usability and features. What works well for one is not always best for others. You will want to see some of these differences in person and assess the right fit for you. As mentioned, Gulf Stream is typically a twin motor setup. If you are not experienced with twins, then perhaps a single engine setup might be easier to get familiar with. GWs hold resale value better than most boat makers. Agree that you might benefit from looking at a gently used boat to manage costs

Joseph3663

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
The first question is have you had boats before, because the idea of owning a boat and the reality can quite different. They are quite expensive to run and maintain. Usage is weather dependent and always seems to be, that when you have the time to use it the weather is crap and when the weather is great you are tied up with other things. You will usually use it far less that you thought you would. I am talking about saltwater offshore use. I know quite a few people who have paid a lot for a boat only to sell it within a couple of years due to lack of use. Of course if you have owned a boat before you will know all of this.

Do not buy without taking it for a on water test, preferably when the conditions aren't perfect. It's a big purchase so you want to be sure it suits your needs. I would rate Grady Whites as a second tier boat. They are solidly built generally using good quality hardware but lacking some of the refinements of a top tier boat but this isn't really going to impact your enjoyment. Customer service is good and Gradys generally have a good reputation. But in the end it is a boat and not an investment. Boats in general depreciate fast so resale value wouldn't be something I would use to determine which boat make to purchase.

Having said that I love my 228 even with everything I have just written. And yes I don't get to use it anywhere near as much as I would like.

Joseph3663

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Thank you wholeheartedly for replying and giving me your feedback. The problem with trying to get a sea trial is that no one has boats to sea trial. We had to use a personal boat to look at, not even a sea trial. The dealer is great, nice guy and definitely no pressure. I put myself in a pickle, I guess. I just cannot believe how expensive boats are. And the marinas are full, what recession? I’ve been on a few different boats, even at rest and us walking around the gulfstream was stable and the hardware showed no signs of being cheap, it was a 2018 Gulfstream. I do own a f250 so towing is not a problem. I don’t know, maybe I’m fantasizing out of my league.

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Thank you wholeheartedly for replying and giving me your feedback. The problem with trying to get a sea trial is that no one has boats to sea trial. We had to use a personal boat to look at, not even a sea trial. The dealer is great, nice guy and definitely no pressure. I put myself in a pickle, I guess. I just cannot believe how expensive boats are. And the marinas are full, what recession? I’ve been on a few different boats, even at rest and us walking around the gulfstream was stable and the hardware showed no signs of being cheap, it was a 2018 Gulfstream. I do own a f250 so towing is not a problem. I don’t know, maybe I’m fantasizing out of my league.
The issue with the gulf stream is the need for permits towing, and twin engines. Any GW model is a safe, stable build that is seaworthy. Find out the next boat show GW will be at and take a quick trip to see the different models in person