Newbie Question - 272 w/ Hondas

ljcrain

Reaction score
Hi, I just sold my 34' Hatteras and am looking to buy a Grady White for my next boat. There is a 1999 272 with 2005 Honda 225 Four Strokes on it near me.

Of all of the Grady's I've looked at online and all of the discussions I've read so far, this is the only one I've seen with these engines.

My questions are - Are these engines too heavy for this boat? And, is this a good match?

Thanks for the input..

cdwood

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Is that hull rated for that much power and how does she sit in the water? Sunken scuppers are the first warning that she might stern heavy.

capt chris

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ohio River Louisville, Ky./Lake Cumberland, Ky
ljcrain said:
Hi, I just sold my 34' Hatteras and am looking to buy a Grady White for my next boat. There is a 1999 272 with 2005 Honda 225 Four Strokes on it near me.

Of all of the Grady's I've looked at online and all of the discussions I've read so far, this is the only one I've seen with these engines.

My questions are - Are these engines too heavy for this boat? And, is this a good match?

Thanks for the input..
Your best bet would be to call Grady White customer service @ 252-752-2111. They would be happy to tell you anything you would like to know. They are extrmely helpful and can provide you with a wealth of technical information.

Gmanoffshore

Reaction score
If that hull has the extended running surface it will certainly do better than the older hull where the running surface stopped short / app.18 inches.

I think the Honda's are the lightest wt. in that HR rating and the wide beam of the 272 will help. Grady customer service can help out as the post above mentioned.

JUST-IN-TIME

Reaction score
better make sure those motors have the updated exhaust manifolds are your going to be replacing them for hydro-lock

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Actually they're one of the heaviest 4 strokes at 225HP.

I'd probably pass on it but see in person. It it doesn't sit that bad take a ride.

ljcrain

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I think I'm leaning more towards a Sailfish 25 or Gulfstream 23 which leads me to another question.

I like the Gulfstream 23 or Sailfish 25 with the 9'6" beam but would like to trailer occasionally.

The Offshore 24 with the 8'3" beam looks very similar.

Is there a lot of difference in the ride and useable deck space between the two?

I'm probably looking for a pre SV2 due to price.

Also, what are the issues with local trailering the wide boats? (I live in Texas). I've read threads about getting permits for trailering long distances, but what if I just want to go from a lot to the water?

It's getting a little confusing with all of the different models Grady has made.

Tommyboy

Reaction score
Newbie question ...

ljcrain ..... Like you I stepped down from a 'bigger' inboard boat (36' Pace) //// we bought a 92' 25 Saifish this time last year ... I LOVE IT .... I can't speak to the Gulfstream or Offshore ... but the Sailfish is alot of boat for 25ft ...... I dont trailer it myself ... but I do know that here in NJ 8ft is the width (beam) limit without a special licence ......

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The Honda four strokes have been out for a while and are very proven. As mentioned above, some did have hydro lock issues so get the serial numbers and call a Honda tech to check on them and see if they will be effected. As for the power of that boat, twin 200's is plenty so 225's will be enough. The power of a 225 honda and a 225 Yamaha will be different due to the honda's extra weight. The boat might be more sluggish compared to others with differnt power but in reality it is all realtive to what your looking for. Coming from a hatt the ride will be way different. Honda makes a great engine and it is decent on fuel, not a huge difference between the Yamaha and Honda. As for speeds, top end might be slightly different but should not be significant. My advice is check the scuppers and how the boat sits first. If that is good, check the engines to see if they will need updates before even sea trialing it. If both issues are ok, sea trial it and se eif you like how it rides. If you feel it rides nice then go for it, if it is sluggish to you and you feel it should have more pep, maybe look into one with Yamaha's to compare, it may not be much different, honestly I am unsure I have not ridden on a Honda powered Grady, I'm pretty sure most of us have not. I do not think there is anything big to fear with that boat as long as the engines check out and the boat is not sitting heavy in the stern.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
A Sailfish is pretty wide but unless the DOT has a calibrated eye, or knows the model they might let you slide. Every place is different in the way they control oversize loads. Florida seems pretty lax but NC has been cracking down. Does Texas have a yearly pass? If it's a short ride that's not in a busy area, they probably have better things to do then bust your stones.

Don't rule out SV2 hulls, prices are WAAAY down. Whatever you choose, get a survey and a ride.

jimfish

Reaction score
225 OB weights...

I have never grasped the debates on comparitive engine weights when folks are faced with questions like the one posed here. Here are the facts: Honda 225 - 588 lbs. Suzuki 225 - 580 lbs. Yamaha 225 - 583 lbs. Models with XL and XXL shafts may weigh 10-20 lbs. more than the lightest weight listed for the models. The 4-stroke models weigh roughly 80-100 lbs. more than comparable 2-stroke models. When considering hulls in the 23 ft. and up range - and especially in the 25 ft. and up range - to worry about 100 or 200 pounds is not productive. SOME hulls may perform poorly with an additional 100 pounds on the transom, but I would suggest that with those hulls, fuel, persons on board, and even ICE would be larger factors effecting performance. Essentially, there is NO difference between hanging a 4-stroke Honda, Yamaha, or Suzuki of comparable horsepower on a transom - at least not as much as weight is concerned.

glemboh

Reaction score
I agree with jimfish, the weights are comparable. I have twin 2005 135`s on my Gulfstream. Like the 225`s you are looking at, these are the latest style in the Honda line. I can`t believe how well they run and how quiet they are. My wife likes the fact that there is absolutely no smell from the exhaust. I have used the boat in 20 degree weather and am amazed at how well they start. I also agree that you need to get the motor serial numbers and call Honda or a local Honda dealer to check and make sure the modifications were done. I also do the motor maintenance myself and it`s quite simple. Happy Hunting.

B-Faithful

Reaction score
While I only have 90 hours on my Honda, i am VERY impressed by it. It is quiet, silky smooth and very fuel efficient. As a matter of my builder and another Judge Yachts owner shared with me that the Honda burns about 1 gph less at the same cruise speeds as the same hull with a zuke 250. Of cours the zuke 250 does have a faster top end though but about 3-4mph. The motor fires right up everytime and she trolls at idle smoothly all day. The motor even fired up without and labor when the temps were 21 degrees upon leaving the dock one morning.

ahill

Reaction score
I have a 1998 272 with twin 225s. There has been conversation on this site that the full running bottom 272 has too much stern bouyancy driving the bow down & creating handling problems. I fully agree.
Any 30' owners have the same issue?. .
I doubt that the heavier Hondas will do anything to improve the condition.

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Re: 225 OB weights...

jimfish said:
I have never grasped the debates on comparitive engine weights when folks are faced with questions like the one posed here. Here are the facts: Honda 225 - 588 lbs. Suzuki 225 - 580 lbs. Yamaha 225 - 583 lbs. Models with XL and XXL shafts may weigh 10-20 lbs. more than the lightest weight listed for the models. The 4-stroke models weigh roughly 80-100 lbs. more than comparable 2-stroke models. When considering hulls in the 23 ft. and up range - and especially in the 25 ft. and up range - to worry about 100 or 200 pounds is not productive. SOME hulls may perform poorly with an additional 100 pounds on the transom, but I would suggest that with those hulls, fuel, persons on board, and even ICE would be larger factors effecting performance. Essentially, there is NO difference between hanging a 4-stroke Honda, Yamaha, or Suzuki of comparable horsepower on a transom - at least not as much as weight is concerned.

Exactly. As long as the drain scuppers are above water when full of fuel there should be no issue. Those boats had enough reserve bouyancy with the original engines to have a big fat cooler sitting back there. You may not be able to get away with that with the newer and heavier 4-stroke motors. There's nothing inherently wrong with Hondas, lot of guys like them.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
CJ, my scuppers are below the waterline when loaded up, never get a drop on the deck.
Others with different models reported getting water on their feet, scuppers above the water line.

The height of the deck drains relative to the water height is what matters for keeping feet dry and allowing water entering the deck to drain off rapidly, not the height where the scupper is set into the transom. However, in my 252G case, the scuppers could have been cut higher into the transom, and work the same.

For anyone who's concerned, do a test at sea, stand in the stern in one corner for a while, you and your buddy, and see what happens.

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
BobP said:
CJ, my scuppers are below the waterline when loaded up, never get a drop on the deck.
Others with different models reported getting water on their feet, scuppers above the water line.

The height of the deck drains relative to the water height is what matters for keeping feet dry and allowing water entering the deck to drain off rapidly, not the height where the scupper is set into the transom. However, in my 252G case, the scuppers could have been cut higher into the transom, and work the same.

For anyone who's concerned, do a test at sea, stand in the stern in one corner for a while, you and your buddy, and see what happens.

That would make me nervous.
When we have the bait tank in, if two of us stand in the stern netting a fish or something, we can get water on deck. If it sat any lower I would be inclined to do something about it ;)
The 208 is rated for the 225/250 (i forget which) and they're another 80-100 lbs more than the F150. Yikes!

jimfish

Reaction score
Stern issues

OK, I'm baffled again. To paraphrase, "The 272 has excessive bouyancy in the stern which pushes the bow down, causing handling problems... I doubt that 4-stroke engines would help..." IF a hull WERE to be 'excessively bouyant' to the stern, adding weight - the 160 lbs. or so of 4-stroke engines (twins) - could only HELP alleviate the perceived problem. That said, I know many, many owners of the 272 / 282 hulls
and have NEVER heard anyone complain that the sterns on these hulls are 'excessively bouyant' causing handling problems by 'pushing the bow down..' Quite the contrary, the Sailfish hulls seem to be one of the best handling hulls - in all sea conditions - out there, regardless of how they are powered. Mis-use of tabs is commonly seen as a cause of bow down wallow and resultant poor handling. Of course, packing a half ton of "necessary" stuff into the cabin would likely cause about any hull in that size range to wallow, and it is VERY easy to do this - speaking as the voice of experience.

ljcrain

Reaction score
I've never been on one of these boats in the water but I don't understand how a boat could possibly be overly boyant in the stern with a full length hull. How can the stern be more boyant than another part of the hull? Especially with the engine weight in the back.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I never heard such a complaint about the Sailfish nor Gulfstream, either. Perhaps someone trying to get the boat up to 60 knots? I can see it then.

To lift the bow, trim the motors up, boat tabs nulled.

The boat rides differently with empty fuel tanks, better ride and balance with the weight of fuel in tanks - on my 252G

CJ, my 20 footer 204C had some water come in under same conditions with two guys but the boat is much smaller and is keeling over more so, not much one can do about it since the deck can't be raised. I think some people put cork or rubber stoppers in the deck drains while out on the water, just don't forget to take them out at the dock.

And remember, the extra motor weight is amplified by the lever arm effect since the center of gravity is well aft of the transom vs. where one stands at the stern. Depends too just how many crew you have routinely.

I have suggested before to use 50% more weight than motor weight difference, in sand bags on the centerline, as a trail, 3 bucks per at the Depot, when done take them back for a refund or cut open and over the side !