newbie question on SeaV2 hulls

ovidgsd

Reaction score
here's your chance to either dispel my belief, or reaffirm......I'm under the belief that if Grady white has the reputation of quality in the SeaV2 hull that they have been building for 20 or so years, then if the hull appears to be in good shape with no visible damage (out of the water) or history of repairs to the hull, then this fiberglass hull should last.....forever. When I say forever, yes it will need a new gel coat, paint, rigging repairs, interior repairs and replacements etc (not even discussing engines) - but the seaworthiness and continuous usability of the hull should be many decades - easily 5-6 decades.

So, how am I wrong - or right?

Thanks for your thoughts,
Looking to get my first Grady (26, 27 or 28 )
Ovid

VeroWing

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
It all depends on how well the hull will be cared for. If it is abused, and not kept in A1 condition, then its lifespan will be shortened. Many boat owners shorten the life of their boats by drilling holes for accessories and not sealing them properly, allowing water intrusion. Some run boat up onto beach sanding gelcoat, bump docks without fenders chipping and stressing gelcoat, run boat too hard on and off waves stressing hull, etc., etc..
Similar to a Corvette, if you take care of it, it will last. JMO, Mike.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
My first GW was a 1985 22 ft Seafarer. I sold it in 2004 whe I purchased a Gulfstream. I recall in 2002 I was launching for the season and someone asked at the ramp if it was a new boat!. Per the previous post it takes a lot of care and maintenance to keep them looking good but if you do they should last a long time

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
easily 5-6 decades?

I don't think that is realistic. The fiberglass may last that long, but I could not expect the structural components to last that long - at least not typically. That is a long time for the stringers, transom and under-deck plywood to last. I have two friends with 1985 and 1987 Gradys and I can't imagine those boats going another 20-30 years without some structural refurbishing.

ovidgsd

Reaction score
structural refurbishing?

thanks all -

any other options on "structural refurbishing" - what exactly are we talking about on a SeaV2 Hull that can be done to structurally refurbish? or needs to be done?

I'm still learning about this hull, but my understanding is it is fiberglass - is it all fiberglass? - I'm thinking about year 1992 and beyond boats like the 26 islander, 27 and 28 walkaround cabins (still learning the model names ;) )

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The SeaV is the contour of the hull not how it's made.

If the wood stays dry 40 years is not a problem but there are many holes which if not sealed properly will let water in and will require repair. The basic "hull" will be OK but the strength comes from the sringers and bulheads.

Go looking and see what suits you (of the boats you mentioned, the Sailfish is 9'6" beam and Islander is 8'6"). Make a purchase conditional, it has to pass the sea trial and survey.

ovidgsd

Reaction score
:D

the learning curve is steep, but well worth it ;) Thx!

so can damaged stringers and bulkheads be identified and repaired? (at least some times?)

billydoos fishing always

Reaction score
cv 2 hual

Hi I have a 93 voyager my freind who owns 4 grady white 24 ft voyager sailfish,23 gulfstream,and another model told me that when I was looking to buy a grady he informed me that the cv2 hual was manufactured first in 1992 and still to this day,so I would recommened after being on his 1986 seaferer and then riding on his 1992 voyager there is a big difference in the ride.The 1992 cv2 hual is much more superior in cutting through the big water and has a lot less drag in the water compared to the older model so I made sure that I bought a 1992 or newer hual,I recommemed the same.

tight lines

Brad1

Reaction score
Don't over think it.

Nothing lasts forever, including us.

I just sold my first ever Grady White (an '03 226) and I can honestly say Grady builds a damn fine boat ! ! !

Regardless of construction (and I think Grady's are top notch in that regard), the areas that Grady blows away the competition is in layout and ride. At least in the 22 ft cuddy class. Pretty hard to change those two things.

Find your self a beautiful condition used Grady (like the one I just sold) and go have fun with the boat ! ! !

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Re: structural refurbishing?

ovidgsd said:
I'm still learning about this hull, but my understanding is it is fiberglass - is it all fiberglass? - I'm thinking about year 1992 and beyond boats like the 26 islander, 27 and 28 walkaround cabins (still learning the model names ;) )

Yes, the hull is all fiberglass. Inside the hull and beneath the deck are wood stringers which reinforce the hull and help maintain it's shape.

Wood is a strong material for it's weight, so it does a good job reinforcing the hull so we can go bashing through big seas in our search for big fish. But wood doesn't hold up for decades if it gets wet.

So Grady encapsulates this wood in fiberglass resin, making it impermeable to water. So if Grady misses a spot, or more likely as someone has already said, an owner drills into the hull and doesn't seal it properly, there is potential for a weak spot to develop over time. It may take 10 years or more for that weak spot to show itself.

But yes, any such weak spots are fixable. Search some of the posts on this forum and you'll see several who have replaced the wood beneath the deck or in the transom.

Best bet is, once you found your boat, have a marine surveyor look it over for any problem spots.

Good luck.