Newbie to Site

CharlesM

Reaction score
Model
Voyager
I am looking at a Voyager that is not currently equipped with a hardtop. Is there a source for aftermarket hardtops that are comparable to Factory. I have looked at Atlantic Towers, Dolphin, and a couple others but still not quite what I am looking for. I am in Maryland, but I am open to suggestions......... I just want a quality hardtop that is sturdy enough to stand up to the rigors as I plan on adding enclosure. Wife is needing protection fron sun and the wind so I am unsure the aftermarket versions will do the job.

Thanks

Jargon

Reaction score
RussGW270 did just what you’re asking. His source was somewhere between you and NC.
PM him, or wait until he sees this.

You can also look up his post under his name.

Good luck!

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Hi Charles,

I looked at every option in the book, as Jargon says. It was actually cheaper to get the people that make the OEM hard top to make one. Let me give you an example:

I had two places here in Texas that said they could make one "just like the OEM"... and they were like 9k-ish to start.

I wanted:

5 - rockets along back
4 rockets down the back side (2 right and 2 left)
Electrical box
Spreader lights (LED)
Dome light (led)
Pre-wired (lord, you do NOT want to try to wire it all after the fact)
Anchor light
Future mounts for possible outriggers
Get the enclosure channels done now.. they cannot add it easy afterwards.. and it will COST later, now, it is almost nothing.

So, in Texas.. call it 9k... sounds good? Well, then add in taxes... and add in they always charge more when you walk in to "do it".. and it turned into 13-15k at the only two places I could locate.

So, WMW Marine in NC....they charge cash up front for all of it. I sent them a 9800 check. It took 4-5 months, but they shipped it to my house.

600 was just for the crate to ship it in. Another $1600 was the shipping only.

Now, giving you the numbers, this is my cost.. and costs change.. don't use it to debate the costs with them.. heh, they will quote what they can do.. but, here is the breakdown of the stuff I got.. and understand, they make the canvas bag and enclosure to fir the boat and the top.

NC did not charge taxes... in hind-sight.. I should have driven my trailer to SC.. let them deliver it across the NC state line, loaded it on MY trailer, and hauled it back. Would have easily saved 1000 bucks more lol.

1) 2004 Grady White 270 Hardtop Frame/Fiberglass Top $4353.00
2) Hardtop Electronics Box $ 785.00
3) 5 Hole Rod Holder $ 780.00
4) Electronics Box Dome Light $ 160.00
5) LED Spreader Lights $ 365.00
6) Navigation/Anchor Light $ 160.00
7) Electronics Box Fuse Panel/Wiring Harness $ 410.00
8) Installation Package (IF SHIPPED) $ 160.00
9) Full Enclosure $1521.00
10) Storage Bag $ 450.00
11) Crate for Motor Freight Delivery $ 600.00

Add in shipping of like $1,600 and you can see what I got and such. I did NOT get the enclosure, but they added the channels for later install.....make sure they add that.

So, you will not get a better price.

Also, you MUST have a tractor or a big forklift available where it is shipped to get it off the truck... the truck will NOT unload it for you. It is a requirement.

So, WMW is the single best place to get one if you want to install yourself.. and we did it ourselves. If you can ship or take your boat to them.. they can install it for like $600-$700 according to them and it takes a few days.. so nice vacation...

Russ

Attachments

• 270 HTF2.jpg
    270 HTF2.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 17
Reactions: Ky Grady

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Nice rundown Russ. Very helpful for the guys hunting a factory top.

UCPA111

Reaction score
I purchased my trailer from S&S Marine in Norfolk VA. I took a tour of their shop and saw some of the towers/tops they were making and they looked great to me. Gary is the contact. I believe his son Mike builds the tops.