Newbie washdown question

Shot-Sea

Reaction score
Hello all. Just bought my first boat (Grady White Adventure 208). Onboard Fresh water wash down hose is not functioning. Tank is full, motor is going on when I turn the switch but no water comes out of spray head when you press button. Don't mean to sound stupid but is there a petcock somewhere that I am missing and not turning on to access the water?

Thanks for you assistance.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The lines may be clogged. Disconnect them at the pump and blow them out.

jbrinch88

Reaction score
remove the hose from the outgoing side of the pump and turn it on. If water comes out you know the problem is in the hose/fittings after the outgoing side of the pump. Also sometimes there are little screen/filters on the incoming side of the pumps than can get clogged. Usually they are used in larger boats with fresh water systems. But just check to make sure.

seasick

Reaction score
Shot-Sea said:
Hello all. Just bought my first boat (Grady White Adventure 208). Onboard Fresh water wash down hose is not functioning. Tank is full, motor is going on when I turn the switch but no water comes out of spray head when you press button. Don't mean to sound stupid but is there a petcock somewhere that I am missing and not turning on to access the water?

No petcock but they should be a filter between the tank and the pump. The filter may be screwed into the inlet of the pump. If so, remove it, open it up and it will most likely be clogged with growth. It should have a metal screen in it.
After that, you should also flush the tank. Put a garden hoes into the filler cap hole and run water into it a hard as you can. That will stir up the sludge on the tank bottom and will cause it to flow out the fill hole.
If you use plain water in the tank, in warm weather it will grow algae. To slow down that growth, add 1/2 ounce of bleach to a tank (10 gallons) of water. The best option is to flush the tank as mentioned above, every now and then and add a little bleach

steveditt

Reaction score
Just changed my pump and added a filter, my old pump would work occasionally even with my head in the compartment could never tell if it was on or off,I tap it with a screw driver it would work that lasted a few time prior to not working at all. Easy to change less than $100

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
seasick said:
Shot-Sea said:

No petcock but they should be a filter between the tank and the pump. The filter may be screwed into the inlet of the pump. If so, remove it, open it up and it will most likely be clogged with growth. It should have a metal screen in it.
After that, you should also flush the tank. Put a garden hoes into the filler cap hole and run water into it a hard as you can. That will stir up the sludge on the tank bottom and will cause it to flow out the fill hole.
If you use plain water in the tank, in warm weather it will grow algae. To slow down that growth, add 1/2 ounce of bleach to a tank (10 gallons) of water. The best option is to flush the tank as mentioned above, every now and then and add a little bleach

Good advise. Most likely it is the filter/screen that's clogged. Happened to me before I started routinely adding small amount of bleach to the tank. You may also want to add a higher concentration of bleach to the tank(shock treatment), let it sit overnight then flush out all the lines the next day.
also check that the spray head itself is not clogged.

Shot-Sea

Reaction score
Thanks to all for the advice. I will be working on the tank this weekend.

eppem

Reaction score
9 times out of 10 its a clogged filter - good luck and let us know how you make out?

Shot-Sea

Reaction score
OK. Checked the boat yesterday. There is NO filter of any kind from water holding tank to inlet of pump. Pump is a Shurflo Blaster 3901-2214. I removed the pump and ran it in a tank of water. Water is just trickling out of the outlet side of the pump. So I believe the problem is internal with the pump. I see that there are 4 different rebuild kits for this pump. (Impeller, switch, and 2 diaphragm)

Has anyone rebuilt their Shurflo before? How do you determine which part of the pump is bad? Looks like it might just be easier to bite the bullet and replace the pump.

Duirios

Reaction score
Hi...I'm a Newbie also to my '95 208 Adventure...I redid the entire boat stem to stern and though I hooked up my livewell and saltwater washdown (they operate on the same pump through a "Y" valve) I was never able to find a fresh water tank...there is a freshwater feed cap connected to a hose that seems to be disconnected...any help on locating a fresh water tank or where one is supposed to be??? Thanks

seasick

Reaction score
Duirios said:
Hi...I'm a Newbie also to my '95 208 Adventure...I redid the entire boat stem to stern and though I hooked up my livewell and saltwater washdown (they operate on the same pump through a "Y" valve) I was never able to find a fresh water tank...there is a freshwater feed cap connected to a hose that seems to be disconnected...any help on locating a fresh water tank or where one is supposed to be??? Thanks
If the vessel did not have the factory fresh water option, there is no tank installed. The tank would be just in front of the transom well. It later models ( I am not sue about yours) there is a caulked in access cover.
I would expect that since you have the fill, you probably had the option.

seasick

Reaction score
Shot-Sea said:
OK. Checked the boat yesterday. There is NO filter of any kind from water holding tank to inlet of pump. Pump is a Shurflo Blaster 3901-2214. I removed the pump and ran it in a tank of water. Water is just trickling out of the outlet side of the pump. So I believe the problem is internal with the pump. I see that there are 4 different rebuild kits for this pump. (Impeller, switch, and 2 diaphragm)

Has anyone rebuilt their Shurflo before? How do you determine which part of the pump is bad? Looks like it might just be easier to bite the bullet and replace the pump.
Just to be precise, the filter is often screwed into the inlet side of the pump and if so, you should see it. If you get a new pump and that is probably the best way to go especially if the old one is several years old. you should install a filter since the tanks do tend to grow algae.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I'd replace the pump...by the time you get the parts and throw in your time (labor), you could be finished with the job.

Replacement pumps are between $100-$125

Bob's Cay

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I would replace the pump and buy a rebuild kit to try rebuilding the old one. If you are successful, save it as a spare or sell it. In either event you will have learned something. I my experience, I cannot get the rebuilds to work properly but that just maybe the "Mechanic's" fault...