Newer power

mountngrady

Reaction score
Hi guys,I'm new here but have been on the Bertram site for years lurking. I have a couple of 20' bertrams(moppies),a '79 15 'whaler and for about 6 or 7 years a 84' - 19' Grady White Tarpon(also known as a tournament).I probably use the Grady more than any of my boats and really love it. I've taken it to the Keys a few times, ,fished the jetties at Fernandina, fish quite often off the Jekyll and St.Simons coast,but I mostly use it deep trolling mountain riverine type lakes for big brown trout.It still has the original Evinrude 115.My fishing buddy is a Yacht broker in Hilton Head and has found a slightly used 150 Johnson 4 stroke that he thinks we should get for my Grady.I am always inclined to go with his recommendation but thought I would come to the experts to ask advice.The 115 runs good and has been great but who knows when she is gonna crap out and it could be in the middle of a snowstorm in the Smoky mountains .I understand the 4 strokes are better for the slow trolling we do.Could I get some thoughts and opinions.Thanks in advance

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Hey Man..
I haven't seen many Moppies..Those are some of the real performance/offshore boats of the late 60's early 70's. My son and I have a 66 and a 67 Donzi 16 that we restored..Great boats from that era..

But to the question at hand...

My only concern switching to a 4-stroke from an 80's 115 would be the extra weight aft that you would gain. On a 19' it may not be as big an issue, but you'll notice it.
I would also have a detailed inspection of the transom on that old a boat to make sure it's structurally sound enough to support the extra weight.

Power-wise and performance-wise, you'll love it. Outboards have come light years from the old days.
There are pretty knowledgeable dudes on this site that could chime in also.
You certainly have a great boating plan..Keys, East Coast..Smokies..Cool..

mountngrady

Reaction score
Magicabill,Thanks for you response..I will definetly check the transom ,but over all I think she is pretty sound. I really wouldn't mind having a newer seavee hull but having the moopies fills that need.I bought my boat from a widow of a gentleman who cared for this boat very well,as I said original motor that is still running fine.This boat has proved to be a great platform for deep trolling with four to six rods and comfortably fishes three people.I took all of the teak off numbered it, stripped it, sanded it and applied five coats of Flagship varnish. Replaced some minimal wood damage around the fuel tank with fir. Original top(Sun Bonnet,I think) ,upholstery except for the jump seats that I had redone. Any idea what the weight difference would be?

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Not really..I can make a guess that it would be 75-100lbs. You've got the extra 35 HP and the added weight of the 4-stroke VS. 2-stroke. You can probably get specs of the 150 at the manufacturers website. You may have to research to find the weight of your 115.

We need BobP, Gradyfish, NEM, Striped Bass,..Fishermanabb... some of the guys who know more than I do to add to this..

I'd be willing to bet that you'll get as good or better fuel economy with a 150.

striped bass

Reaction score
mountngrady

There will be new instrument changes with the Johnson four stroke. That entails new wiring and a possible reconfig of the instrument panel to accommodate the Johnson instrumentation. Not cheap.
The transom is also an issue because of the added thrust which can defeat the structural integrity of the transom. Be sure to check this out with Grady customer service at corporate in Greenville, N.C.

mountngrady

Reaction score
Thanks Striped,sorry I didn't get a notification of your post.I will check with Grady White in G-ville.I have spoken with them before. The transom check will be the most important issue at hand and we will address it .If it's weak what are your suggestions.Trade up?Thanks for your response

striped bass

Reaction score
Two thoughts.
If Grady does not endorse the engine change I would definitely recommend a move to a GW 185, 195 or a 225. Terrific boats and very versatile.
Before you make any move you might think about running the Evinrude until it gives up the last gasp. The older outboards were built pretty strongly so there be more life in the engine than you realize. The investment you will have to make for the change out to the Johnson may not be worth the cost in the older hull.

mountngrady

Reaction score
Thanks,that kinda what I was expecting to hear.I bought this boat to use while restoring my Bertram and fell in love with it.I've been running 1oz of Seafoam per gal of gas in her since the beginning ,don't know if that has had any thing to do with long life of this motor or not .Thanks again for your help.

gw204

Reaction score
mountngrady said:
My fishing buddy is a Yacht broker in Hilton Head and has found a slightly used 150 Johnson 4 stroke that he thinks we should get for my Grady.

Johnson never made a 150 4-stroke.

striped bass

Reaction score
If you do move up, there is one other benefit. The newer model GW Tournaments have a full transom with a Gil bracket for the outboard engine which is a much safer hull. Check out David Pascoe's review of notched transoms where he tells it like it is. My neighbor had a close tragic accident last month because of his notched transom boat and he is moving over to a full transom ASAP. Just a thought.

LarryO

Reaction score
Not a motorman but is the engine a Johnson 4 stroke ? I think that's a first . Did Suzuki make a 4 stroke for Johnson with a Johnson hood ? Never heard of this . thanks

mountngrady

Reaction score
Larry,This is what I was told,but I have yet to see the motor.My buddy is a yacht broker in Hilton Head and he has a friend with the motor.Through all of the parties involved there may have been some miscommunication.I

gw204

Reaction score
Yes, the Johnson 4-strokes (at least the higher HP ones) are Suzukis painted white.

LarryO

Reaction score
Good luck , sounds like you would want a good motorman to check it out . Never heard of a Johnson 4 stroke , high or low . Isn't that why they're where they are today ?

mountngrady

Reaction score
Thanks Richie.112 lb difference in motor size. Doesn't seem like that much although adding that much pushing and tugging on an old transom,I can see the concern.

LarryO

Reaction score
Where can I buy a Johnson 4 stroke ? I don't believe anywhere no matter who owns them . Thanks