Newly Inherited Marlin

newboater

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Hi there. My family's trying to get our grandpas 300 Marlin out on the water, but we are complete newbies to actually driving a boat. Where can we find some good resources to get more comfortable with the idea? I'm talking basic boating...we currently don't know how to even turn it on. We are also looking for locals to help us out but figured posting here wouldn't hurt. Thanks!

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Well, if I were you...in Texas, they have boater safety courses. I have boated for years and still enjoyed going there when I took the kids to get certified, they were 12 and 9. Start with the state boater registration place and see if they have courses.

Then, like you did here, join the Grady FB page and see if any of them live close to you. I bet they would get a kick out of helping a new owner understand their boat.

Lastly find a grady dealership by you and ask them who takes the new owners out for a test run etc. In Houston, they have a guy and he can be hired for lessons with the boat as well.

Also, post lots of pictures;)

Late Again Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Website
www.littleriversportfishing.com
Model
Sailfish
First and foremost...let's find out where you are located. As mentioned, most every state has some sort of safe boating course. Most of which are on-line. Also, there are many, many folks on here that would probably be willing to offer a hand if you are local to them. Good luck and happy boating.

Reactions: newboater

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Congrats: The Marlin is a great boat.

It is also a boat you should not attempt to drive right off the bat. I will explain.

For beginners, a Marlin is a lot of boat not only to pilot but to understand. There are way too many variables that will make your first few trips stressful without an experienced person on board with you. Wind, currents, navigational aids and how to read them, docking, the list goes on. Then there are the onboard systems, AC shorepower, head, galley components, etc.

A safe boating course will not show you how to drive that boat. It is a big help, for sure, but a day, or several, on your Grandpa's Marlin with an experienced Captain is the only way to start out. A real Captain on his game will teach you how to dock with twin engines, read channel markers and educate you on all the components aboard. He (or SHE..don't want to get into trouble here...) will help you learn how to trim your boat, use tabs effectively, and teach you how to run the boat in rough conditions.

Once you get the basics, then you can go from there. Your local Grady-White dealer or marina should be able to put you in touch with a Captain for hire as Russ mentioned above. It's worth the money, believe me.

Enjoy!

TortugaBob

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I am a little over 1-Year Marlin owner, in Texas. As many said, a lot of boat, and you do not want to turn on the key without understanding or getting some basics. Safety first. Many glad to help, but nothing like experience. This forum has helped me tremendously. Good advice from M.Bill.

jigstrike

Reaction score
I have owned boats for 35 years. When I got my Marlin, I hired a captain for a lesson. Money well spent!!
You are getting in a terrific boat!

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Another, important thing I forgot to touch on.

If you hire a Captain, you'll never remember everything he/she tells you; there is just too much info to take in the first day, and if you don't record it, it'll blow by you and you won't remember half of it. Video the whole day and take notes, if that works better for you.

When my instructor showed me the ropes on my Marlin, I wrote a book about what he said, then organized it later.

newboater

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Thank you for all the replies!

My mom and I were able to take a boater safety class this summer and the rest of the family is in one for the fall. After taking the course, I feel like I know the stop signs of the water but nothing about operating a boat, so I appreciate the advice to find a captain who can teach us the ropes. We've been asking the dealer/boat storage company if they had anyone, unfortunately, Covid has been a bit of an obstacle.

The boat's in the upper-middle Maryland Chesapeake region. The whole family is very excited for eventual fishing trips, but first, we need some confident captains! Again, I appreciate the advice!

TortugaBob

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Contact TriState Marine in Deale, MD, they are the Grady Dealer where I ended up purchasing my vessel, then shipped to TX. They are great people and they can surely put you in touch with someone, also did my sea trial there. One of their mechanics was a Capt.

Fowl Hooked

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
I'm in southern Maryland, down near Point Lookout, but would be happy to travel up and provide some hands on education and practical training (particularly as my boat is out of the water right now). You can message me here or on my cell at 757-636-5280 if you'd like to discuss further. In any case, congratulations on a great boat and good luck! -Brett

Bloodweiser

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I’d take
I'm in southern Maryland, down near Point Lookout, but would be happy to travel up and provide some hands on education and practical training (particularly as my boat is out of the water right now). You can message me here or on my cell at 757-636-5280 if you'd like to discuss further. In any case, congratulations on a great boat and good luck! -Brett
id take fowl hook up on his offer .

OBX Sailfish

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Contact TriState Marine in Deale, MD, they are the Grady Dealer where I ended up purchasing my vessel, then shipped to TX. They are great people and they can surely put you in touch with someone, also did my sea trial there. One of their mechanics was a Capt.
Yes I bought a new Marlin from Tristate in Deale...great dealership. Many Bay savy captains to be found around there to hire aboard for some training as well. Good Luck!!

Dennis K

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I’ll agree with a couple others. Tristate marine is your first step. They have captains on staff that take out each new owner They also have top notch service techs that can help with any issues. Call them 410-867-1447.

newboater

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Thanks again! We found a friend who's excited to have a project that can help us out. The boat was stored at Tristate for these past few years. We tried getting someone to help teach us, but covid was creating some personal problems for them so we didn't push for lessons too hard. If anyone has the time/energy to let me in on their boating checklist (i.e. the steps that happen to get you from on the dock to unmooring) I'd appreciate it!