Newport Boat Show - Prices, wow

tellch00

Reaction score
Certainly not news but wow, boat prices are nuts. Guess it really hits you at a place where you can see so many boats. The prices are just insane. Many exhibitors also had to borrow existing customers boats to display. Currently have a '18 Freedom 235 and looking to get into the 32-37 foot range. Will also stick with DC so looking at the usual suspects: GW, Pursuit, WorldCat etc. Went primarily to see the Southport 33 and it's a really nice boat and very well put together.

The shocker was the the BW Realm 350. $750K!! for a 35 foot boat. Actually really liked the boat but that's insane. A 40 foot world cat for $1M. Pursuits for over 700 and they also have a $1M boat. My dream boat is any of the MJM Yachts lineup and the new 3z DC is beautiful. 38 LOA and a bargain at 700 lol.

Was planning on early retirement in a few years but looks like I may need to go a bit longer. oh well.

sailUSVI

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
That’s one of the reasons we stepped down from a 41ft trawler to a trailerable Grady 282. Year round boat use/storage (6 months in the water and 6 months on land) was going nowhere but up, that, on top of the possibility of the Marina ( any Marina for that matter) getting sold and changing how they do business was a driving force to make a change. Now the off season storage fee is gone, it’s stays at the house for the winter.

one Man’s way of dealing with it….

Reactions: Randy Clement

nuclear

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Same with dockage. In a few years many will be priced out.
At least you can get dock space. Around here the waiting list is ~30 years. Looking forward to getting mine in 20 years!

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I was there and noticed a lot of boat inflation - both from a size perspective, and from a pricing perspective. I'm apparently turning into my father, as there seems to be no end to the bells and whistles installed on boats that either are not needed, or will cause a whole lot of headache and maintenance nightmares in some number of years. The positive I guess is that it makes me a lot happier with my 2003 than I perhaps should be, and the thought of a 60k repower is much less distasteful than is a new boat.

For me, the favorite was the viking billfisher, as it was quite spartan for a yacht, but was well laid out. Did not get price, but had to be 1.5 or more.

Reactions: PointedRose

SCW

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 275
yes boat prices are crazy, I was there as well and saw the same. That BW Realm was loaded though, lots of boat and extras. I have a 275 love to go up to a 307. That southport was nice! I think I will wait for a gently used 307 instead of used. .

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
It's absolutely crazy. With those type of numbers I want diesels!

tellch00

Reaction score
yes boat prices are crazy, I was there as well and saw the same. That BW Realm was loaded though, lots of boat and extras. I have a 275 love to go up to a 307. That southport was nice! I think I will wait for a gently used 307 instead of used. .
The BW was really nice, and I liked the layout. I'm liking the side walk way to the bow you're starting to see on some boats. Again, we don't fish so doesn't matter if that would hinder fishing.

GW and pursuit's are very popular around here and not a ton of BW. Anyone know what kind of ride they have? i've heard some not great things on build quality - the kind of stuff you have to look around for, not just on the surface.

I think the Southport is the prettiest DC out there but gets very pricey once you start specin'g it out. also supposed to have an amazing hull. They do seem to lack a bit in the seating comfort/luxury compared to some of the others. not surprising as they are considered a pretty hard core fishing boat before coming out with the DC. Wife noticed the seats were much more "plush" on the GW/pursuit/etc.