NJ fishing reports

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Decent forecast for Sat thru Monday, at least inshore/midrange. Unfortunately I can't do a full day except maybe Monday.

Charter guys at my dock are crushing YFT "40 to 60miles east(out of Manaquan inlet)- across Mud hole"... "you gotta find the whales" . Popping and jigging.
40 is a gamble on a late day run. Done it many times. Hero or Zero....

Might get out Sat afternoon. The squid/BFT thing is still happening off Seaside Heights, but its a pick. But its a short run....easy, lazy trip....

Fingers crossed I can do a full trip Monday.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
We were out Monday at the spot off Seaside Heights. Jigging squid and putting them out live. We got about a 60 pound bluefin to the boat and broke off the leader.
Quite a few fish were caught. One boat fought and boated a 67 incher after 2+ hours on the wrong rod...

We had him on the the heaviest rod. Penn two speed 80w on a bent butt in a swivel rodholder. Cranked him in fast after two runs. With the swivel near the rod tip, I told my buddy, "pick up the rod and walk it back so I can gaff him". He said " I'll just leader him" and I said "we always lose when we do that".
So he takes up the leader, taking tension off the main line and the main line and swivel immediately flip over the rod tip.The fish dives and 'click'... leader breaks...

We stopped at a wreck on the way home and got our seabass limit and a keeper fluke to add to a gallon of fresh squid.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Went looking for yellowfins out near Texas Tower. Nothing.

Passing through Glory pots on the way out at first light. I had to try one pot... got this bull & cow while holding two rods as we passed the first pot!
Ended up becoming a canyon Mahi/Tilefish trip...as many of our tuna dreams become....

ZIQxIRsl.jpg

wLclC8Sl.jpg

ft2NOnYl.jpg

Saltyone

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
Doesn't look like they'll be much fishing on the east coast this next week. Hopefully Lee doesn't come close.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Got out Tuesday to the Triple Wrecks area. The fleet was 10 miles past the Haskell. We got there late 8 am. Chunked one nice yellowfin quick and then we sucked the rest of the day. Many boats had 3,5,10....

The mahi pots in the Chicken were barren. The Glory pots were not very good but we did get a few small ones and one nice cow.

Fantastic weather. Long 13 sec swell. Thats all going to crap the rest of the week.

F7EFB9A4-ECD0-44A9-A8DB-FDF9D92ABF84.jpeg

Frame-13-09-2023-09-41-51 copy.jpg

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
So after 3 weeks of wind, waves, and rain, I got out solo Tuesday morning for look for some seabass. Got 9 keepers, nothing really big.
Disappointed with the size. I thought they would be jumbos. Going to have to look farther off.
Also lots of chub mackeral and bonito and 10" bluefish on the wreck.

Reactions: Peter A

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
My brother went overnight to Hudson canyon Tuesday to Wed on a dock neighbor's boat. they got 5 YFT, 20 mahi, tilefish and a 350 blue marlin release

Reactions: Peter A

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
There has been a striper blitz on bunker outside Manasquan Inlet yesterday and today.

We passed right by it and went seabassing Thursday. Got some nice ones but 5 of us could not limit out.

Reactions: Seafarer_Bob

Father's Day

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
There has been a striper blitz on bunker outside Manasquan Inlet yesterday and today.

We passed right by it and went seabassing Thursday. Got some nice ones but 5 of us could not limit out.
Stripers are everywhere, the Raritan is on fire

Reactions: SkunkBoat

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Monster bass just outside Manasquan Inlet this morning.

Solo fishing...got four bass 45" or greater. All releases. One was probably the biggest bass I've ever caught, probably 48". Only measured the first one. Missed 2 more runnoffs. All on bottom rod in 25-30 ft. Flat line never got touched.

Snag bunker, put on circle hook, 3 ft leader, with a 1 oz egg sinker above the swivel.

EVgzkczl.jpg

7pZkRy3l.jpg

Grabbed a screenshot of my Grady 265 on the Surfer's View webcam...
hmXqBUxl.jpg

Reactions: blynch

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
We got nine bass over 40" before 9 am yesterday. Just north of the Manasquan Inlet, off the radio tower in 30 ft.
All bites were on the bottom. All of these bass are too big to keep.
I see A LOT of guys still fishing their snagged bunker instead of putting them on circle hooks(ITS THE LAW NOW!). They are gut hooking bass with trebles and throwing them back floating.:mad:

PeDefvdl.jpg

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Got out yesterday. Plan was to try a last Seabass trip. Early morning there was a large fleet off the beach in Bay Head. Giant schools of bunker. Humpback feasting on them.
So we stopped in there and snagged a couple bunker and sent them out. No striper bites, nobody near us catching. So we moved on out to seabass spots.
( word at dock later was there was a good bite down in Seaside Park)

Tried a few spots out near Manasquan Ridge. Tiny seabass and plenty of spiny dogfish. Moved out to the Dave Moran wreck near Humpty...same.
Moved to Shark River reef. Three party boats were all on wrecks not rockpiles. So we anchored on the Martin. A slow pick of tiny seabass, nice porgies, bluefish, and spiny and smooth dogfish.
Looks like the big seabass are all far offshore already.
Tried the Arundo hoping to find Ling...nope!

I'm done. Maybe try stripers along beach Sunday morning and then get boat ready for the haulout next week.

Peter A

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Got out yesterday. Plan was to try a last Seabass trip. Early morning there was a large fleet off the beach in Bay Head. Giant schools of bunker. Humpback feasting on them.
So we stopped in there and snagged a couple bunker and sent them out. No striper bites, nobody near us catching. So we moved on out to seabass spots.
( word at dock later was there was a good bite down in Seaside Park)

Tried a few spots out near Manasquan Ridge. Tiny seabass and plenty of spiny dogfish. Moved out to the Dave Moran wreck near Humpty...same.
Moved to Shark River reef. Three party boats were all on wrecks not rockpiles. So we anchored on the Martin. A slow pick of tiny seabass, nice porgies, bluefish, and spiny and smooth dogfish.
Looks like the big seabass are all far offshore already.
Tried the Arundo hoping to find Ling...nope!

I'm done. Maybe try stripers along beach Sunday morning and then get boat ready for the haulout next week.
Thanks for all the cool reports this year!

Reactions: SkunkBoat