NJ fluke

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
i'm interested in how people are doing with the 18" reg. i haven't brought home any yet. i was out yesterday and tuesday. the bite was constant and we pulled up "tons" of fish; all shorts, but big shorts. how's everybody doing with the legals (and i do mean legals; i threw back a 17.75" yesterday)?

ron

ps: ny flukers have to be sucking wind at 20.5" !!

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Haven't been fluking that much but have the big 0 in the box for fluke.

Gman25

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
ElyseM said:
ps: ny flukers have to be sucking wind at 20.5" !!

The group who set the NY regs should be sent to prison...And then to close it Sept 1st?....It is hurting more people in the industry who's livelyhood depends on the fluke fishery... and to make matters worse its all based on JUNK science. :evil: :evil:

2005 300 Marlin w/F250's

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Fish the channels, Sandy Hook and more so Ambrose, both are holding many keepers and we have been doing very well. The E part of Ambrose is NJ waters, not many know that but it is. In Sandy Hook and Ambrose, the Red side always produce better, work the slope coming into the channel and the red half. The fish will be moving out shortly, they first visit the beaches in the shallows, then from there they exit through the channels in a big mass, unfortunetley our season ends right as this all occurs so we may or may not see it but from here on out, I'd recommend sticking to deep water. We have been pulling decent numbers of keepers, maybe 2-4 keepers per guy on my boat. All our fish have come from waters deeper then 45ft, most from 70ft or more in the past few weeks. I'd call you over this weekend but I am in the Keyport Tourney and will be fishing some wrecks hopefully pulling a doormat sat and sunday I will be trolling bluefin tuna. Good luck!!!

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
thx. figured you would have some good insight. i've been in Sandy Hook, but not over to Ambrose. i'll head there next. good luck in the tourney. ron

catch22

Reaction score
ElyseM said:
i'm interested in how people are doing with the 18" reg. i haven't brought home any yet. i was out yesterday and tuesday. the bite was constant and we pulled up "tons" of fish; all shorts, but big shorts. how's everybody doing with the legals (and i do mean legals; i threw back a 17.75" yesterday)?

ron

Same situation in the delaware bay. Lots of fish, (especially upper bay) but the ratio is about 20 to 1. :x Lots of fish are close, (17 - 17 1/2). No other way to put it, except the 18" reg sux.... :shock:

okletsfish

Reaction score
My problem with the regs all along the eastern seaboard is that the through back ratio is extremly high and how many of these fish will live to fight on another day,there has to be a better way of doing this.Also it seem crazy that the creel limit is different from state to state,after all these fish are comming from the same body of water the "Atlantic Ocean".It all boils down to politics and who can lobby the hardest or has the most cash on hand.An anology is 5 brothers fighting over the "old mans" money after his demise.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Be careful if you fish by the NY waters, if you catch a legal fish in NJ the travel in NY waters, people have been busted for short fish.