NJ re Fishing Line

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Redid two rods this weekend and the Albright is a much tighter knot than using a double uni to join two lines. The Albright knot joining the mono to fluoro on one rod was about half the size and looks like it has nothing to catch on when passing through the guides. Now, I’m going to redo the knots on all my reels as the Albright is much better.

As for the braided reel, I did all of the math to figure out how much mono before the braid based on line diameter and line retrieve. It was way off after doing the “30” rotations/ retrieves so I just estimated 150 yards braid. The modified Albright with the braid/ mono was much harder than the fluoro/ mono combo.

Is there a preference between which line to loop and which to wrap around when doing the Albright? I ended up creating the loop with the thicker line and wrapping with the thinner but not sure what you are supposed to do.
yes that'll do. Another way to say it is Main line around the Leader.

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Bringing this back up based on a recent FB post....

What is your go to braid lb test for bay fishing? Inshore?

I just got another Penn Battle 4000 reel and was debating on what to line it with. I have 1 with 30lb braid and another with 12lb mono. The way I see it, why not go heavy and still have the diameter of 10lb mono. However, folks are saying they go with 12lb braid for fluke in the bay.

I prefer light tackle fishing but braid throws a curve onto it bc it feels light but is stronger

hooked on Grady

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
how deep do you fish. we use 20 lb maxquatro mostly. no more than 30 power pro. we fish to 50' or more and 8oz's or more on 30lb for fluke and sea bass.

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
It depends...most of the spots in the bay are 8-15ft deep with the occasional 20-30ft if I hit the channel

When I head out front I haven’t ventured too far and stick within 50ft

Mostly Fluke fishing but I want to get into sea bass as well

hooked on Grady

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
20 or 30 no more. the thinner the better. you are not fishing for fish that are going to test your tackle so the thinnest line you can will bring more strikes, I M O. out front sea bass are moving in, we caught them real good in around 40' currents not bad we used 4,5 and 6 oz's all day

Reactions: Blaugrana

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Its not just the line...you have to consider the rod & reel you are putting it on.

In the bay I used a light 6' spinning rod with 6 # braid to cast 1/4 to 1/2 oz jigheads. If you put 20# line on that you would lose distance and probably break the rod or reel trying to get unstuck.
There is really nothing in the bay that can't handle...even a 10 bluefish...but that is fun ride...

Next size up is a 7' medium/light spinning with 12#. That lets you use heavier lures and fish deeper. You could substitute with a baitcasting with 20#.

Next up is a 7' medium conventional like a Penn Squall or a shimano tld 15 with 30# braid. That is the go-to all around outfit for bottom fishing, drifting fluke deep on reefs, livelining bunker, trolling plugs & mojos, and jigging diamond jigs from 4 to 12 oz

The only time I go overweight on the braid is that I have 65# on a Penn International 50W for tuna fishing

hooked on Grady

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I agree 100% with all that, those set ups will cover just about everything jersey has to offer bay to inshore IMO. Our tuna jigging reels are Avets Lx's G2's loaded with depth hunter 65lb braid.