No Boating

SeanC

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
So with the new corona virus restrictions, recreational boating has been placed on the banned list in Queensland Australia.
Predicting virus cases may not peak until September, it could be more than six months until I can take the boat out again. So weekend plan is to add fuel stabilizer run the motor and try to forget about it for six months. One of the reasons was that the Voluntary Marine Rescue has a high proportion of elderly members so they don't want to expose them in case they have to rescue someone. We moved house early February so put fishing on hold while we sorted out the house. Plenty of time to go fishing after that. Oh how wrong I was.

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Hi Sean,

This is all about managing expectations moving forward for everybody.
Main thing is getting to the other side in one piece. Not all will be able to do that.
Good plan on getting the fuel additive in.
Hang in there, good fishing this fall or next small sacrifice compared to the alternative.
Hopefully you have your boat near so you can at least upgrade things while this is ongoing.

Stay healthy, and keep a good perspective when possible. Wish you the best!!

Lee

Graybeard

Reaction score
Here in Maryland, USA we are under a Stay Home Order except for going to the grocery store, doctor, drug store. All non-essential travel and boating are prohibited and all non essential businesses are closed. Schools are closed too. But fishing or crabbing from a boat is OK if it’s to put food on the table and the Social Distancing rules aren’t followed. The gray areas are travel to a boat ramp or marina to go fishing. Some say it’s not allowed and some say it is allowed.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'm still under wraps... No sympathy here!

seasick

Reaction score
At my yard, we are under a no boating order. No launching and NO use of vessels that were wet slipped. That is going to be tough to enforce since the yard itself is accessible. I have the feeling that I probably won't be launching this season. Maybe that's not a terrible thing all things considered. I am lucky to have the option to do some surf casting or pier fishing. I kind of miss those days.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
She is parked, hard for me to see her sitting there! One can only hope this will blow over soon !!
1585994843947.png

Bloodweiser

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Maybe we should start a thread with pictures of our gradys parked and tarped.. I agree awful hard to have her sit.

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Just a little twisted plagiarism .....
Memories are all I have to cling to (cling to)
And fishers are the friends I'm talkin' to (talkin' to)
When I'm not thinkin' of-a just how much miss it
Well, I'm-a thinkin' 'bout the fishing we will do.

SirGrady226

Reaction score
I'm hating to see mine sitting while the weather and conditions are so good here. Just have to hold on to the memories and hope it all goes away soon.

1543278299108.jpgGrady.jpg

Reactions: Zebulon

Vince

Reaction score
Up here in cold country, Massachusetts USA, we are under stay at home to self quarantine. We can still pretty much go any where. All non essential business are closed. Grocery is open but it's a real strange place to be. Seems like everybody is sizing the next guy.

In spent today under the shrink wrap compounding my boat that I have yet to launch in my home town waters. I bought her in Georgia in December, had her delivered in January.20200404_164151.jpg

I here towns in the states closing state and private ramps to boating. I'm confused to why. If I'm out on the water with my family, who am I putting at risk?

I'm afraid I also will be looking at my grady all summer, brand new boat to me that I cant use. Nobody wants to die from this, but how do we live?

Are we left to wait to die or should we enjoy life until we die.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Just continue to prep. When we turn the corner, things will open up.

Reactions: Zebulon

Willy-C

Reaction score
Yeeowser, I’m feeling a little guilty as our NH Governor has said he allows all outdoor activities (crossing fingers while knocking on wood) including hiking and hunting as long as the social distancing is met. Lots of pics locally of fish being caught as our Salmon/Lake trout season just opened up Apr 1st. Though my boat is still inside under cover I hope to get it out of cobwebs for next weekend. I’m not so secure on the saltwater fishing though, cuz most times I launch in MA and that may be a game changer for my sought after haddock fishing 30 miles offshore. If I had to chose between sweetwater vs saltwater I’d choose the ocean, but time will tell. Truth be told I’m ready for a little slow down cuz at work we are considered essential and my fingers have been worked to the bone. But really I can’t complain, glad to be still here on the right side of the grass.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Up here in cold country, Massachusetts USA, we are under stay at home to self quarantine. We can still pretty much go any where. All non essential business are closed.

I here towns in the states closing state and private ramps to boating. I'm confused to why. If I'm out on the water with my family, who am I putting at risk?
Same in Ohio. We got out today and the weather was perfect.
I'm glad we got out, but can understand why some states aren't allowing boating at all. I witnessed today and last week several boats being loaded up with adults from different vehicles. They weren't family. It really chaps me to see a couple inconsiderate a-holes potentially ruining it for everyone else. The "its everyone else's problem and not mine" mentality is unfortunate but a reality that other states have accounted for. That's why some of you can't run your boats. Too bad.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Traditionlly my shrink wrap comes off April 1, and I launch May 1. This year shrink is staying on until I'm sure there will be a season. hopefully by June.

seasick

Reaction score
"I here towns in the states closing state and private ramps to boating. I'm confused to why. If I'm out on the water with my family, who am I putting at risk? "

Unfortunately you are paring the price for those who are acting irresponsible or living in la la land.

I have spoken to friends who have gone out boating with other, non family and not living in the same residence passengers. When I asked if that was smart, I was told they tried to stay separated until the seas got mean and they had to huddle under the hard top!

People in general are just plain dumb at times, some more than others.

Reactions: family affair

Vince

Reaction score
Ya I guess. I was talking about my immediate family, the ones I'm living with. I forget about the people with no common sense.

Family Tradition Fishing

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I guess I should clarify a little in case the last 2 comments were caused by my post. The 2 people I took offshore work with me every day. We are essential employees and often work closely together because the job requires more than 2 hands to fix the problem. We had better separation while offshore than while doing many jobs at work.

Reactions: Timbo

Lsquared

Reaction score
Up here in cold country, Massachusetts USA, we are under stay at home to self quarantine. We can still pretty much go any where. All non essential business are closed. Grocery is open but it's a real strange place to be. Seems like everybody is sizing the next guy.

In spent today under the shrink wrap compounding my boat that I have yet to launch in my home town waters. I bought her in Georgia in December, had her delivered in January.View attachment 12026

I'm afraid I also will be looking at my grady all summer, brand new boat to me that I cant use. Nobody wants to die from this, but how do we live?

Are we left to wait to die or should we enjoy life until we die.
because, especially in FL, they were going to the sandbar and rafting up. hence ramps closed and other states followed suit.

no boating, well we all stand in solidarity for Russ!