No Boating

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I guess I should clarify a little in case the last 2 comments were caused by my post. The 2 people I took offshore work with me every day. We are essential employees and often work closely together because the job requires more than 2 hands to fix the problem. We had better separation while offshore than while doing many jobs at work.
Glad to see you are taking the issue seriously. Unfortunately some aren't. Congrats on a successful, safe trip!

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I'm hopeful that NJ doesn't do draconian things just to cover their bases.
I'm impressed with them so far.
They closed the right businesses/schools/gatherings and allow other businesses to serve the needs of the community with delivery and minimal contact pickup.
I think the point is to dramatically reduce close contact between people not to quarantine the entire state to their homes.

So far they are not banning fishing, in fact they did trout stocking early and opened up trout fishing early. Normally "stocking days" bring big crowds to the stocking points.
They put out a rule to stay 6 feet or "one fishing rod minimum" but suggest spreading out and finding your own quiet place.
Now, I haven't done trout fishing in years but its encouraging that they are going ahead with it.

My boat is floating and hopefully I will pick it up this week with new motors. I hope to be self isolating with a rod in my hand.
Gas docks are open. Bait needs to be ordered by phone for "no contact" pickup at the gas dock.

seasick

Reaction score
I guess I should clarify a little in case the last 2 comments were caused by my post. The 2 people I took offshore work with me every day. We are essential employees and often work closely together because the job requires more than 2 hands to fix the problem. We had better separation while offshore than while doing many jobs at work.
Interesting . I am not sure how I would feel or act in a similar situation.
Suppose for example you worked in a hospital and a fellow worker said "hey a few of us are going out for a few drinks after our shift". What would you say?

Family Tradition Fishing

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Interesting . I am not sure how I would feel or act in a similar situation.
Suppose for example you worked in a hospital and a fellow worker said "hey a few of us are going out for a few drinks after our shift". What would you say?
A few drinks out would imply a public bar/restaurant, which are closed in our area to begin with. Second a public bar is a completely different scenario than my private vessel with the same people who work closely together on a day to day basis. So to answer, with the threat of the virus, I wouldn't go to any public gathering currently because it would potentially expose me, my family, who knows whom else and the same people I went fishing with when I returned to work.

seasick

Reaction score
I see your point. I guess the issue is the depth or extent of the socializing.

The challenge is that with close friends, you probably have a better chance of getting timely info(hopefully) if one of them is at risk and that you could also be at risk and what yo do with that knowledge.
In your example, would you feel as comfortable as you do fishing if instead you and your fellow workers decided to go to one's house and have a beer and a pizza.( Sitting at a long table:) My concerns and they may not be valid, is that not only are the folks you interact with a factor but so might be the number of interactions with the the same people. I am not trying to start an argument, I just don't really know what the best policy is.

On a separate note, is your work place taking extra precautions and if so, does that make you feel safer?

Family Tradition Fishing

Reaction score
Model
Marlin

The challenge is that with close friends, you probably have a better chance of getting timely info(hopefully) if one of them is at risk and that you could also be at risk and what yo do with that knowledge.
In your example, would you feel as comfortable as you do fishing if instead you and your fellow workers decided to go to one's house and have a beer and a pizza.( Sitting at a long table:) My concerns and they may not be valid, is that not only are the folks you interact with a factor but so might be the number of interactions with the the same people. I am not trying to start an argument, I just don't really know what the best policy is.

On a separate note, is your work place taking extra precautions and if so, does that make you feel safer?
I'm not trying to argue either, I felt my post may have solicited those comments and wanted to offer a clear picture of the entire situation.

They are taking precautions, however the nature of many of the tasks we are responsible for put us in close proximity to one another. My comfort in fishing with these people is that I'm closer to them at work than I was on my vessel. So, am I heading to the sandbars to raft up and drink with a bunch of strangers... not for some time after this all passes. Am I going offshore with people I don't interact with closely on a daily basis, no, as it would be an unnecessary risk to all involved. Will I continue to go with those I interact with on a daily basis, yes.

Lite Tackle

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer

Some common sense questions (kinda feels like passing judgement more than questions, perhaps the reason for the incorrect punctuation). But then again, if we had common sense we wouldn’t need the government to tell us how to live our life. I see you are in New York City. According to the numbers, many more are infected there per capita compared to say SF Bay Area ( or anywhere else in US). Why do you think that is? The virus is not being spread world wide by two buddies going fishing in the largest body on earth as much as the 400 people camped out in front of Costco waiting to buy toilet paper.;)

dainlaroche

Reaction score
Yeeowser, I’m feeling a little guilty as our NH Governor has said he allows all outdoor activities (crossing fingers while knocking on wood) including hiking and hunting as long as the social distancing is met. Lots of pics locally of fish being caught as our Salmon/Lake trout season just opened up Apr 1st. Though my boat is still inside under cover I hope to get it out of cobwebs for next weekend. I’m not so secure on the saltwater fishing though, cuz most times I launch in MA and that may be a game changer for my sought after haddock fishing 30 miles offshore. If I had to chose between sweetwater vs saltwater I’d choose the ocean, but time will tell. Truth be told I’m ready for a little slow down cuz at work we are considered essential and my fingers have been worked to the bone. But really I can’t complain, glad to be still here on the right side of the grass.

I’m here in N.H. too still grinding away on the winter boat project. Should all be done in a few weeks and hoping to run her around and maybe catch some flounder. If I could get in the water early May I’d be happy. Hoping for the best for everybody.

seasick

Reaction score
Some common sense questions (kinda feels like passing judgement more than questions, perhaps the reason for the incorrect punctuation). But then again, if we had common sense we wouldn’t need the government to tell us how to live our life. I see you are in New York City. According to the numbers, many more are infected there per capita compared to say SF Bay Area ( or anywhere else in US). Why do you think that is? The virus is not being spread world wide by two buddies going fishing in the largest body on earth as much as the 400 people camped out in front of Costco waiting to buy toilet paper.;)

I feel compelled to remind you that the virus originated in 1 person. Nuf said

Last edited:
Reactions: HTHM

g0tagrip

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Our marina at Port Canaveral, Blue Points Marina, is opening back up tomorrow, with new guidelines of course. At least we will be able to get our boats out and either work on them or go fishing......

seasick

Reaction score
Our marina at Port Canaveral, Blue Points Marina, is opening back up tomorrow, with new guidelines of course. At least we will be able to get our boats out and either work on them or go fishing......
That sounds exciting. Let us know how it goes.

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Yes I over reacted in my rant, when i considered those who do not follow the social distancing as stupid (unfixable!!) They are not....they are self centred, selfish, narcissistic, and self serving, without a care in the world for others sharing this planet. I think this virus is showing that although someone said years ago "we are all created equal" the creation process went very badly sideways between their birth and growth, leading to their inability to understand or care about life outside the "all about me" bubble they exist in. Time to pop a few balloons!!! who me pissed off?....possibly not the right forum to share my thoughts OOOOOps!

Lite Tackle

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Like Hillary said, “It takes a village (idiot)”. I think back to when the Prius first came out and through every drivers side window I saw a pompus azz with his nose in the air wanting all the world to know he was better than them. Nobody here that I can see is killing kittens, fear mongering is running rampant though. Which is better self righteousness or selfishness?

Bloodweiser

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
These types of conversations get ugly. But that is the trend in today's society. If you don't agree with "us" you are quickly labeled, ridiculed, mocked etc. I won't say anymore on this subject.

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
MY apologies if my outburst has been deemed as ugly! This situation appears to be slightly beyond "agree or don't agree", without proper procedures it will result in the death of many! That is definitely all I will say on this subject.

seasick

Reaction score
Cabin fever symptoms:) This topic is done for me too.

Lite Tackle

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I too apologize. It is an unprecedented time in history and many are panicked by the uncertainties. I am sure all members of this fine site are taking the necessary precautions to assure they are not spreading the virus. I, as I am sure many, come here to get away from the current state of affairs. Therefore I will try to choose more wisely which threads I click on.
950BE869-525B-47CD-9D5D-1B1B5564B2DE.jpeg

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Following the announcement by Commissioner McCabe the state followed up on April 2 with a list of frequently asked questions posted at www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/news/2020/huntfish_faq.htm. As to question #1 in the state of New Jersey, “Am I allowed to go fishing,” the answer from the state is a resounding “Yes! Angling and hunting opportunities are considered outdoor recreation.” The official statement goes on to encourage both hunters and anglers to get outside “while remembering to protect yourself and others by not congregating in groups, maintaining a social distance of at least six feet from other anglers or your hunting partners, and washing your hands well before and after any outdoor recreation.” Regrettably, the other popular question in the recreational fishing community comes by way of charter and party boat captains who ask, “can I take customers out fishing?” The answer from the state is “no,” with governor Murphy’s executive order closing all “non-essential retail businesses and recreational/entertainment businesses.”

However, based on review of the covid19.nj.gov website where essential and non-essential businesses are listed, it does advise those not considered "essential businesses" under the state directive as follows - “If your business is a retail business that operates with a physical location that the public accesses your services from, you must close your business to the public. Delivery and online operations of retail businesses may continue.”

So far, the striped bass on the Raritan Bay don’t seem bothered much by the land-based crisis. “Private boats and individual fishermen are getting into the excellent fishing which saw linesiders to 40 pounds caught this past week,” said North Jersey reporter JB Kasper in compiling the reports this week. Early word of pre-spawn stripers on the Raritan had come from kayakers in recent weeks, though surfcasters doing a bit of recon have found the big fish, and so has the fleet of private boaters. All anglers should pay particular attention to the governor’s order and how it’s structured, while following the NJDEP guidance, “to protect yourself and others by not congregating in groups, maintaining a social distance of at least six feet from other anglers or your hunting partners, and washing your hands well before and after any outdoor recreation.”

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
because, especially in FL, they were going to the sandbar and rafting up. hence ramps closed and other states followed suit.

no boating, well we all stand in solidarity for Russ!

And, at least for us, the sand bar parties and raft-ups occurred after both the County and the Marine Industries Association said if they continued, boating would be shut down. And they continued.

Now we wonder how we got to be a hot spot for the damn virus.