No cold oil pressure

Dhastingserctr

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I have a problem. No cold oil pressure. Twin 2003 yamaha F115. I’ve taken out sending unit and put a nipple and connected a clear plastic hose to nipple. Started engine and it took 5-10 seconds for oil to come thru hose. Dealer put in new oil pump, ($3000.00)
i can’t afford them guessing. Any ideas? When oil gets hot the pressure bar stops blinking and noise ceases. Boat runs fine.

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Try changing the oil filter. Old one may be blocked and bypass not working. At least that is a quick and inexpensive check.
What weight oil is in the engine?
I don't knw whether the oil ports could be back-flushed (is there even such a thing?), but if you just spent $3000 for the mech-guesser, and that didn't solve it, I'd be asking for some money back, and never go to that place again.

Dhastingserctr

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Try changing the oil filter. Old one may be blocked and bypass not working. At least that is a quick and inexpensive check.
What weight oil is in the engine?
I don't knw whether the oil ports could be back-flushed (is there even such a thing?), but if you just spent $3000 for the mech-guesser, and that didn't solve it, I'd be asking for some money back, and never go to that place again.
Have tried new oil filter, have flushed motor liquid moly. New oil and filter. buzzer sounds and oil pressure bar flashes on cold start up. 10w30 yamaha oil.

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Copied from the Yamaha Parts forum:
"01-14-2015, 12:28 AM

I had the same issue with my 2002 F115. The alarm only sounded when first started for the day and not every time but it did get that way. It initially took 3-4 stop/starts to clear it and then it got to more then that.

Mechanics tried a couple of things - ie new battery cables and sender - in both cases for some reason it worked for one trip only and then the problem returned.

At the end of the day it was the oil pump.

Best thing to do - put a pressure gauge on your outboard and then you will know for sure."

It could be that the replacement pump installation went wrong or "new pump" is bad.