No Power to Tournament 205 200hp yamaha

Edjyoung

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 205
I am having an intermittent problem getting power to the 200hp Yamaha on my 2006 Tournament 205. The batteries are only a year old. The radio and gps have power but the gauges and motor do not. The problem is intermittent. Could it be that the 40 amp circuit breaker in the aft rigging area is bad?

seasick

Reaction score
No, if it did your electronics and most other things wouldn't power up.

The power to the motors comes directly from the battery cable that is wired through the battery switch. Your problem could be a battery cable or cables, a bad battery switch, a bad motor ground (pretty common issue) either at the battery end or on the motor itself, a corroded fuse or fuse holder on the motor (under the black plastic box) also fairly common.
It is also possible that your ignition switch or switch wiring has a bad connection.
When the problem pops up and assuming it stays a problem for a while, try the engine tilt function on the lower cowling to see if the motor has power.
I have to look at the parts diagram but you probably also have a power relay on the motor that could cause your issue.
Check the fat cables, their connections and the fuse block under the cowling first.

What model motor? 2 or 4 stroke and if 2, SX or HPDI or other.

Reactions: SmokyMtnGrady

Edjyoung

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 205
The engine is a 4 stroke Yamaha f200txr outboard. I tried adjusting the trim on the lower control and there is no power. I thought it could be the ignition switch but since the trim controller on the lower end doesn’t work I am assuming that’s not the case? I cleaned up the terminals wiring with a metal brush to no avail. It is a two battery system but I don’t believe there is a switch. (At least I can’t find one)

I will look for the fuse box underneath the cowling and see if there is anything amiss. I will research the bad battery ground as well.

Thanks for the advice!

seasick

Reaction score
Check the connections on the starter relay. I believe that is where the positive batter feed connects. The ground black battery cable connects to bolt on the motor.

Are you sure you do not have a battery switch? I would be surprised but not as much as two weeks ago when I actually worked on a pontoon boat that didn't have a battery switch:)

JAdams1

Reaction score
Did you find the problem. I have a 2007 tournament 205 and my buddy has a 2005, we both have a four position battery switch, you should too. Seasick provided some good things to check. Good luck.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Find where the motor cables connect on the motor.
Do a quick test with car jumper cables from a known good battery. You can isolate the problem pretty quickly that way.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Work the switch a few times. Likely a ground issue as Seasick states from description of the issue.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Check the ground lug on the motor itself ,then check the battery terminal leads. I had a bad ground . tightened battery cables and problem solved..