No Water from Pee Hole, 1994 Yamaha 200 2s

Jonboat Bob

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Dear Fellow Forumers - My new-to-me 1994 Yamaha 200TXRS (2 Stroke) is not spitting any water out of its pee hole.
I have replaced the old rubber water discharge tube, installed a water pump rebuild kit with new housing and impeller,
and snaked the metal water discharge tube with a stiff wire as best I can. I have not replaced the thermostat. Am I possibly
not waiting long enough for the motor to run and thermostat to open up? I would appreciate any assistance with this problem. Thanks much.
Bob in Biloxi

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
you are running on ears? or in a Yamaha hot tub? Often Yammies will not run on ears.

Thermostat does not have to open to pee. Pee shows pump is providing water pressure

A way to test flow is to drop unit and squirt hose up the pipe and see if it comes out the pee hole. Or remove T stats and fill from there it should dribble out pee hole and everywhere.

If that works the pump is not providing pressure ( new pump but not priming to work) Try using a tub.

freddy063

Reaction score
check to make sure the water tube is stuck into the water pump. I sometimes think it went in but just missed and not seated correctly and will not pump right.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Assuming you're using muffs... you attached the hose to muffs, slipped them on, turned the water on full and lot's of water was squirting out the lip of the muffs. Then you started the engine. Did the amount of water squirting out change by a noticeable amount?

How long are you waiting to see if pee till you shut it off? What is the GPM and PSI of your hose? GPM is easy using a known-size container. PSI would need a inexpensive gauge from the hardware store.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
So the motor is new to you. Did you test run before buying, did it pee? Did it pee before you did any of the repair? Did you do the water pump yourself?
Dennis is right to question water flow on muffs. Are you using a muff that only feeds one side, or one that feeds both sides from the end? That pump sits pretty far above the intake, so you need good pressure/volume to flood it with a hose.

Yamaha V-VX 200-225 HP Lower Unit RIGHT Hand 20 Shaft Casing Gearcase Foot

Last edited:

Jonboat Bob

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
you are running on ears? or in a Yamaha hot tub? Often Yammies will not run on ears.

Thermostat does not have to open to pee. Pee shows pump is providing water pressure

A way to test flow is to drop unit and squirt hose up the pipe and see if it comes out the pee hole. Or remove T stats and fill from there it should dribble out pee hole and everywhere.

If that works the pump is not providing pressure ( new pump but not priming to work) Try using a tub.
Thank you, SkunkBoat. I am running on a new set of ears. I will try the tub idea first and then I will try your idea of taking the lower unit back off and directing water into the water tube to check for obstructions if the tub method fails me. Bob

Jonboat Bob

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
check to make sure the water tube is stuck into the water pump. I sometimes think it went in but just missed and not seated correctly and will not pump right.
freddy063 - Thank you for the idea. I will check that when I drop the lower unit again. I did install a new water pump housing cap when I put in the pump repair kit but I can see how easily it would be to not form a tight fit with the water tube when installing the lower unit. Thanks again. Bob

Jonboat Bob

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Assuming you're using muffs... you attached the hose to muffs, slipped them on, turned the water on full and lot's of water was squirting out the lip of the muffs. Then you started the engine. Did the amount of water squirting out change by a noticeable amount?

How long are you waiting to see if pee till you shut it off? What is the GPM and PSI of your hose? GPM is easy using a known-size container. PSI would need a inexpensive gauge from the hardware store.
DennisG01 - You are correct in your first paragraph but I don't think the amount of water squirting out did change by a noticeable amount once the motor was running, but I will confirm that. I let the motor run for only three or four minutes before shutting if off due to not seeing any discharge from the pee hole. I seem to have tons of water pressure at the hose bib but I will need to look at the GPM and PSI numbers. Bob

Jonboat Bob

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
So the motor is new to you. Did you test run before buying, did it pee? Did it pee before you did any of the repair? Did you do the water pump yourself?
Dennis is right to question water flow on muffs. Are you using a muff that only feeds one side, or one that feeds both sides from the end? That pump sits pretty far above the intake, so you need good pressure/volume to flood it with a hose.

Yamaha V-VX 200-225 HP Lower Unit RIGHT Hand 20 Shaft Casing Gearcase Foot
glacierbaze - I was not able to test anything on this boat or motor before acquiring, but when I started the motor a couple of weeks before we had what we call a cold spell here in Mississippi, the pee hole was spitting out water fine. After the cold spell (temps got down into the 20s here) I went out and started the motor and nothing came out of the pee hole so after only a minute or two of running I turned off the motor, I then ordered the water pump rebuild kit and replaced all of the stuff I mentioned above. Today, after reinstalling the lower unit after putting in the pump rebuild parts, I started the motor and let it run for probably 4 minutes before shutting it off due to no water discharge from the pee hole. That's where I am now. Thank you. Bob

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Ok, I have found some species of wasp enjoy using the pee tube as great place to deposit some eggs, mud and wasp spit . Seems to happen frequently this time of the year into June , depending on where one is located of course . It happens..so give that a look see.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Sometimes taping up some of the drain holes helps them run on ears... but problem is you don't want to ruin new impellor testing over and over...

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
DennisG01 - You are correct in your first paragraph but I don't think the amount of water squirting out did change by a noticeable amount once the motor was running, but I will confirm that. I let the motor run for only three or four minutes before shutting if off due to not seeing any discharge from the pee hole. I seem to have tons of water pressure at the hose bib but I will need to look at the GPM and PSI numbers. Bob
OK, well that amount of time is plenty. 30 seconds, give or take is usually plenty. However, the key thing I'm seeing is that the amount of squirt didn't change. It should. This means the water isn't even being sucked in to start with. So, at this point, focus on the impeller rebuild.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I used a dock box as a Yamaha hot tub. You have to get the water at pump level.
This was when I was out in a field with 200' of hose. Ears would never work. With a short hose, lots of pressure, I could block some holes with duct tape and get them to run on ears

tI0sCYUl.jpg

Jonboat Bob

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Ok, I have found some species of wasp enjoy using the pee tube as great place to deposit some eggs, mud and wasp spit . Seems to happen frequently this time of the year into June , depending on where one is located of course . It happens..so give that a look see.
Thank you, SmokyMtnGrady - I will definitely look at that. Bob

Jonboat Bob

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Sometimes taping up some of the drain holes helps them run on ears... but problem is you don't want to ruin new impellor testing over and over...
Thank you for the reply. Tomorrow i am going to do what several of you are suggesting and before I take the lower unit out again I will fill up a tub and see if that works. Bob

Jonboat Bob

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I used a dock box as a Yamaha hot tub. You have to get the water at pump level.
This was when I was out in a field with 200' of hose. Ears would never work. With a short hose, lots of pressure, I could block some holes with duct tape and get them to run on ears

tI0sCYUl.jpg
Great idea. Thank you. Bob

Jonboat Bob

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
OK, well that amount of time is plenty. 30 seconds, give or take is usually plenty. However, the key thing I'm seeing is that the amount of squirt didn't change. It should. This means the water isn't even being sucked in to start with. So, at this point, focus on the impeller rebuild.
Thank you again. I appreciate all of the ideas. Bob

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Impeller has a ‘key’ that makes it push water with the circular motion of the pump. If that key isn’t in its right slot it might not work.

Jonboat Bob

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Impeller has a ‘key’ that makes it push water with the circular motion of the pump. If that key isn’t in its right slot it might not work.
Thank you, PointedRose - I do believe that I have that key in properly but I will ensure that it's in correctly if I have to take everything apart again. Bob

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
On my F150's the water tell-tail passes thru the fuel cooler. I have had mine clog. Pull the water "in "hose to see if there is flow. Snake the cooler from the "out" hose with 300 lb mono and try to back flush.

I have had problems on the ears on mine too. My mechanic told me its problematic and may not be anything wrong - just not getting enough water pressure from the garden hose.Try connecting to the "flush" connection too.