No wonder dealers are going out of business

Bama96

Reaction score
Sold my Fisherman and have been looking for a new boat. Called a dealer today on a leftover. Called at 9am no salesman avaliable was asked to call back. Called back at 1:30 salesman out to lunch. They took my name and number and promised a return call. Told the lady I was a cash buyer with no trade and needed a boat. No return call. Called back at 4:00 got the answering machine. Left another message. Then went to the website and sent an e-mail, Still no response. These guys must be selling the hell out of boats. Unbelievable.

sraab928

Reaction score
Sometimes they are their own worse enemies. They are the first to complain about a down economy or slow sales yet most do nothing to make it better. The good ones will survive. Sorry to hear you are having trouble. Makes you wonder what your service experience will be like?

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
They do not deserve your business. Are they a Grady dealer, or something other? In any case, maybe a call to the factory C.S. # would be in order. Guys like this are not only hurting themselves, but also the manufacturers they represent.

Bama96

Reaction score
A Grady dealer Capt. Bill. Seems like when times are slow they would be all over a lead. Guess they get a ton of tire kickers and dreamers that have soured their attitude.

fastal

Reaction score
if your in a sales type business you can't have a sour attitude or not return calls, it is the kiss of death. as a sales manager, albeit not the marine industry, I am constantly drilling this into my people.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Don't get discouraged nor let the sales department get in your way.

I've always said, if it wasn't for salespeople, I'd be buying more. That's only because I'm an educated consumer and the sales dept just gets in my way. For everyone else, ignorance is bliss.

If it's a Grady dealer, call Grady HQ in Greenville, NC, and ask if the dealer has gone out of business since no one is returning your calls.

If there is anything one can still count on, is Grady HQ.

While on the phone with HQ, ask if they know what dealers to contact for what you are looking for.

Scouter

Reaction score
I would call Crockers Marine in Wilmington NC and talk to Richard Pratt. He will not only return your calls, he goes above and beyond to make sure you are happy with the sale. I live in Maine and bought a used Seafarer 228G sight unseen, it was all he said and more. A great guy and a straight shooter. But, if I was looking at new, I would buy local as well.

My .02

Jim

Bama96

Reaction score
Finaly got a call back from the Grady Dealer. 12:30 today. He has a 2007 Sailfish 282 leftover and said he would let it go for $120K. :shock: Said that was his cost. Guess he will be sitting on that one for awhile. I did talk to Richard at Crockers. He does not have any used Sailfish 282s but he was trying to sell me on a 2800 Hydra Sport Vector he just repowered with new Yamaha F225s. Richard was great but just did not have what I was looking for. The search continues.

Bigfoot

Reaction score
When I hear these stories... I cringe, then remember they are just laying down for the rest of us...about 10% "get it". Soooo many strive to be average, ok already.

Customer service is everything...

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Bama,
Maybe take short drive to the Grady dealer in Carabell, Florida? Passed them on the way here to Cape San Blas. I live in the mountains of NC and bought my boat from Lockwood Marine in Shellman Bluff Ga, south of Savannah. It is a 6.5 hour drive to get the boat...but I know the sales manager as he sold me my first Grady when he was in Edgewater, Fl. Lockwood really took care of their business unlike this guy. I recommend doing business with them :)

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Maybe the '01 282 w twin 200 HPDIs that is on Crocker's site is sold already?

Bama96

Reaction score
No it's still there but the 200s are not the motor for that boat IMO. I was looking for 4 stroke 225s or 250s. You want those 200s? I guess I could buy it and sell the 200s then re-power. The 2005 they had last month with F225s and only 170hrs was the boat I wanted. A little late for that one. :eek:

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Bama96 said:
...I guess I could buy it and sell the 200s then re-power... :eek:

If you buy my 282 Sailfish, it already has the F225's you're looking for, and they're low-hour engines too :D

catch22

Reaction score
Nothing against salesmen, (cough)... but with a used boat, I'd much rather buy form a private seller, than from a dealer.

You get a real good idea of how the boat was maintained and cared for.

The owner can explain how ever single feature works, (or doesn't, lol).

Your made aware of anything that was changed, repaired or upgraded.

You find out all the little details and nuance's that a dealer would have no clue about, (or worse... would negelct to mention :x ).

And... you get a better $ deal, (no middle man).

Z4J

Reaction score
Bama96 said:
He has a 2007 Sailfish 282 leftover and said he would let it go for $120K. :shock: Said that was his cost.

His cost must include the kids in summer camp, the wife at Neiman Marcus,
the bank interest since 2007 because he wouldn't make a deal and move the critter, etc...............

mronzo

Reaction score
Sh*t! I'LL sell you a boat!
It's amazing they blew you off like that!
They probably thought you were a prank call! :wink: