NOAA Saltwater Fishing Registration

PFB1769

Reaction score
Just wanted to pass this along.

If you are in a state that will be required to pay the $15 registration fee to be imposed by the NOAA next year you can register/re-register now for 2011 for free.

Register now to avoid fee
Published: Tuesday, December 07, 2010, 8:24 PM Updated: Tuesday, December 07, 2010, 8:33 PM

Al Ristori

New Jersey may eventually have a free registry if the Senate bill to do so is reported out of the Senate Environment Committee during Thursday's hearing on that bill. However, anglers can still participate in this year's free registration or re-registration at the federal level simply by visiting www.countmyfish.noaa.gov/register/home.jsp

It appeared it was still possible to get another year of free registration rather than paying the $15 fee that NOAA will be charging next year. In today's Fish News, NOAA actually encourages anglers to do so at no charge this month.

gwwannabe

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thank you for posting this and saving me a few bucks. I'm in VA but am not willing to wait for the state to act and I really prefer not to give the govt money.

Gary 03 Gulfstream

Dan B

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I was looking at the FAQ's on the NOAA Registry web site and saw this question #10:
Where will the money go?

Fees collected by the National Saltwater Angler Registry will go to the Federal treasury. They will not be designated for any specific purpose. In the case of anglers who are automatically registered when they buy a state license, money paid to the state will be used for purposes determined by that state. If you have a saltwater fishing license, call your state department of natural resources for more information

My understanding is that if you live in a state that does not require a saltwater license then you need to register for the NOAA Saltwater Fishing Registry. So, why not buy a license in a state such as Maryland where you know the license fees are going to fishing programs versus "the Federal Treasury".