North Carolina Coastal Boating.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Shout-out to all you N. Carolina Grady guys;

My son & family is visiting friends in Raleigh. They have a 17' Montauk Whaler that they are considering pulling to the coast for a day while they're in the area.

Problem is, neither they nor I know any good places to launch and boat for a day.

They would need;
1.)A decent launch ramp with truck & trailer parking.
2.)Protected waters/ICW to explore, beach, waterside eatery-friendly areas?
3.)Safe surroundings.

Any help is appreciated..Thanks!

shadow379

Reaction score
Wrightsville Beach is a almost straight shot from Raleigh. 2.5 hour drive, maybe longer towing a boat. The ramp gets a bad rap, but thats just due to it being popular. Have some patience there and you will have no problems. Its is a awesome boating paridise with anything you could want to do. Plenty of Greatgrady members should any problems arise. If I can help in any way let me know.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
The question is what kind of water do they wish to boat in around the coast? They can go to Washington and Bath and hit the upper Pamlico Sound, the water is fresh to salt depending on where you go. If they want pretty water, try Beaufort and Emerald Isle area. Wrightsville Beach is nice as my brother once lived there and it was there I was introduced to Grady White boats nearly 20 years ago. We use to boat around Masonboro Inlet and Figure 8 Island down there. I have taken my 228 from Bath to Beaufort for a spring cruise and it was nice ride.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Thanks shadow;
I will pass Wrightsville Beach along..Much appreciated!

Smoky;
The main and most important requirement is protected inshore waters and safe surroundings.
After that, anchoring in a pass along a sandy beach; Picturesque inshore cruising, lunch with an easy tie-up..that sort of thing.

Again, thanks..I will mention Beaufort/Emerald Isle.

stray current

Reaction score
We got to Oak Island which is on the other side of the Cape Fear river,there are several pay and free ramps in the area,ICW access,a variety of water types and places to visit,we've enjoyed trips to Bald Head isIand. Haven't been Wightsville,heard good reports and what I hear the landward activities are better.The whole Cape Fear area is rich with fishing and boating spots as well as other family entertainment and other than the fish not biting you can't really go wrong anywhere.Good luck!

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Hey All;
Thanks for the replies; I'll pass them on..Much appreciated!