North Fork L.I. to Block Island

tellch00

Reaction score
just purchased a new 235. How realistic to take this boat from north fork of L.I. to Block Island?

Cmd176

Reaction score
I think it’s pretty realistic. I’m in Sag Harbor and have a 257 Fisherman. We are regularly out in Montauk and the waters between Block and the Point. The only thing I find is the afternoon Southwest winds seem to always pick up around 2 or 3pm. Ideally, I’d go over in the am, stay for the night somewhere and come back the next morning. It’s a great island and it feels like you’re a 100 miles away from home. Enjoy the new boat.
Chris

eppem

Reaction score
100 % agree, just be smart and pick and choose your days. The fishing around BI is nothing short of awesome too!

EPPE
265 Express

Absolutely Nothing

Reaction score
Should not be a problem as long as you check the weather and wave conditions and travel safely. My brother goes over to Block regularly, from Mystic, CT, in a GW 204 Overnighter. Before I moved to my Marlin we would make the trip a number of times a year (from Mystic) in my 23' Mako cuddy cabin.

Rustygaff

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 255
We run over to Block as well as Greenport from Westerly in our 255 on a regular basis. As mentioned earlier, the afternoon winds sometimes pick up and you will get some slop. Check the weather, water conditions, pick your day and go. You will be fine. Unless we find someone to tie up to on a mooring we usually go over to the dinghy beach area in the pond and throw out the hook. The water taxi can get you over to the docks. Once on land you can hit the Oar or grab a taxi into town. Have fun!

mmiela

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have done the trip in my 226 from Clinton, CT , you have to pick the days and watch the weather.