NY Boat Show, hiding in the crowds

seasick

Reaction score
I will be attending the NY Boat Show this Friday. Tomorrow morning I will post a picture of the cap I will be wearing:)
So if you at the show on Friday and you see someone who might be me, just ask; "Are you Seasick?"

Reactions: kirk a

Pfu

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Wish I was there. Love to shake your hand thanking you for your expertise (would definitely purchase you a cocktail of choice).

seasick

Reaction score
Wish I was there. Love to shake your hand thanking you for your expertise (would definitely purchase you a cocktail of choice).
Thanks for the kind words. My main goal if possible is to see how the boats look from a quality control perspective.. That includes Gradys of course but also Whalers, Pursuits and a few other brands

seasick

Reaction score
Here is my hat for Friday's boat show. It is the Pettit Paints cap ( from when they gave you a cap for buying ridiculously priced bottom paint, which is now even more expensive:)

Attachments

• Pettit Cap.jpg
    Pettit Cap.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 4

Fishtales

Reaction score
Pls report back on the GWs. From the reports, it appears that QC has dipped. Sad to see.

seasick

Reaction score
Pls report back on the GWs. From the reports, it appears that QC has dipped. Sad to see.
Very sad. I actually have reservations about the brand after seeing so many posts on QC issues for newer hulls. What does the future look like for these newer boats when they are not so new?
I have been a Grady fan for a long time but lately not so eager to unequivocally recommend the brand to friends.
Are the issues due to loss of experienced staff or something else?
If someone asked about CCs for example, I would be more likely to suggest Contender.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I think they all have their ups and downs so I'm not totally down on them. I just hope they initiate a corrective action program and fix the known issues that follow into the current line up.
Contender has had their issues in the past, not sure how they are now.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Was at the local show a few weeks ago. Hate to say it, but Pursuit and Edgewater showed better than GW. Seems like GW has been too busy building boats to catch up with new manufacturing trends that provide better perceived quality in the form of fit and finish. GW's looked a little sloppy compared to the competition. I don't think the long term durability of the boats will suffer, but when you are charging big bucks for glass and glue, it better look as good as the Jones's.

seasick

Reaction score
I am always impressed with Pursuit. Just take a look at the below equipment space and it is finished.

I get the impression that Grady was short on experienced craftsman for whatever reason and the workmanship quality suffered. That added to the unusual big spike in demand during Covid and possibly issues with supplies, all added to the decline. You would think that folks at Grady keep an eye on forums like this one. At least I hope they do.

Reactions: family affair

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Seasick - shame on me for not coordinating with you...I was in town and went to the show on Thursday.

I looked in the bilge of the GWs on display...while not as clean as the Pursuits, it also wasn't as bad as some of the pics and posts that have appeared here.