NY Boat Show, Jan 26th-30th

seasick

Reaction score
It looks so far like the NY Boat Show is still a go with some changes. I know that several yearly shows have been cancelled due to a shortage of inventory. I wonder who will have what models on display.
Being a retired older geezer, I don't like to be tied down to a specific schedule so some of the protocols in place are 'interesting'. Specifically, you can not pay at the door of the Javits Center this year. You must buy your ticket online. In addition, you have to specify the day your ticket is good for. I guess I will have to make a decision and a commitment soon:) I always lean towards avoiding the weekends due to crowds and strollers!

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I used to enjoy that show, when it was upstairs, and the NY Gift Show was going on downstairs. I could slip away and get in a few hours over the course of 2 or 3 days.
Online tickets limits crowd, and eliminates long lines. Makes sense to me.

seasick

Reaction score
I used to enjoy that show, when it was upstairs, and the NY Gift Show was going on downstairs. I could slip away and get in a few hours over the course of 2 or 3 days.
Online tickets limits crowd, and eliminates long lines. Makes sense to me.
I don't mind on-line tickets. It's the fact that you have to pick a specific day that is inconvenient. Often my buddies have last minute changes to their plans.

You reminded me of the times that I entered the wrong show at the Javits's center when more than one was running at the same time. That is harder to do these days with the scanning of tickets but in the old days when most shows gave you a credit card like badge on a lanyard , it was easy to enter the wrong area.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Pre 9/11, the lobby areas facing 11th Ave, in the front of the Center were open to the public, and badges/passes were not checked until you got to the doors of individual exhibit halls. Over the years, it became a problem, with hundreds of street people taking advantage of the clean restrooms in the lobbies, and just hanging out in the other public spaces. After 9/11, they pushed the secure area towards the front doors, and eliminated most of those spaces from access without a badge.
Eventually, the NY Gift Show took over the whole building, and the NY Boat Show moved to a different week.

Uncle Joe

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
No super spreader COVID events for me thank you...the latest variant to hit NY was traced back to a convention last month at....you guessed it...The Javits Center.

Last edited: