NYS Proposed Fluke Regs 2009

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
NYS fluke options for 2009

they will pick one . << OLE Object: Picture (Metafile) >> Option, Size, Limit, Possession ,Open Season
1.... 20.5.................. 4 June 7 - July 31
2.... 20.5.................. 4 July 19 – Sept 7
3.... 20.5.................. 4 July 1 – August 15
4.... 20.5.................. 2 July 1 – Aug 22
5.... 21..................... 4 July 1 – Aug 22
6.... 21..................... 2 July 4 – Sept 2

-------------------------------------------------------------

The May opener will be gone, don't see the Long Island head boats surviving this one, considering the other major blow that clipped them.

That's it for the summer stay up here.

I guess Cuomo lost the lawsuit.
I hear if one spends $10K for a commercial liscense it's open season and small fish too - all you want.

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
For years I always look forward to the begining of May as it marked a great start to the fluke season!
The regs as listed just mean I wont be making it over to montauk this year (again)
Tim

dan313

Reaction score
They should just close the season and put the party boats and bait shops that rely on the fluke season out of business.

Whats NJ limits??? Same as last year. Same waters......

Lenny

RUMBLEFISH

Reaction score
It appears that our politicians no longer care about anyone anymore. Or maybe this is also part of the stimulis plan to help shut down the little guys. We are getting screwed by all of them and they dont give a rats ass about us. Or maybe it dosnt matter anymore because the silent majority just keeps sucking it up and do nothing. This economy is going to get so bad world wide that fluke fishing will be the last thing on my mind and that really pisses me off.

Done with the rant.

Oceanbean

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
It is a real shame how they manage these fisheries without any real scientific data let alone common sense. They interview fisherman for data collection, then guess. I fluke fish at least 30 times a summer, I have never been asked once by any DEC or Fed Fish & Game officer about my catch. I have been checked for Bass though. There are days where (3) guys on my boat and we'll catch 100 fluke with 2 keepers. It's crazy. This idea of only keeping big fluke or bass over 28" will hurt the fishery in the long run. The bigger fluke are usually female, as are the bass. With regard to fluke, how many are released that are belly hooked that will not survive. There should be slot limits. (1) 17-18, (1) 19-20 and (1) 21 +. Shut down the fluke season and it puts more pressure on the bass, and seabass.

How do you figure the commercial guys, draggers and pin hookers that can keep 17" fluke plus create all that by-product (draggers), yet us smucks that go out to catch dinner have a hard time getting a few decent fish.

I believe we will be seeing the salt water license this year. Maybe that will help with the management and more consistent regs that go by coastal region and not by state.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The biggest and most fluke I ever caught were in Montauk in May and September, before and after the heat wave spells. September was already lost.

The very reason I haul 100 miles each way out there to fish, instead of where I used to, 3 miles from home.

I've had a good life fishing fluke on Long Island from the day I recall even being alive winning a plastic trophy from Skidmores in Moriches. The outboard motor on the rental was taller than me

It's the kids I feel for today, relegated once again to be in front of a screen instead of their environment. I wonder if they even care - they have not missed anything to care.

All commercial fishing should be banned immediately, let the people eat farm raised fish. If that doesn't work, then close the season altogether like they did Stripped Bass back in the early 80s.

I'm sick and tired of elected officials being incompetant or corrupt, or both, like that clown in illinois, not to mention the NY/NJ disgraces.

Now the other species - of sea bass, etc. is going to be raped, along with more stripped bass than legally allowed, just like how blackfish got wiped out of No Mans land. No more Montauk mixed bag, hit the sea bass all day long.

It's all run by the special interest lobbyist groups.

Montauk always drawed people who drove all night to get on a head boat or charter, it's now history. Even the cheaper gas has no meaning.

And we talk about bigger fish boxes on our boats here.

Nothing but boxes of bluefish now, learn to acquire a taste for it.

Gman25

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
And I just heard the flounder season is closed for 09. What makes it even harder to swallow is that its all based on JUNK science. :evil:

FILET and RELEASE

2005 300 Marlin w/F250's

Tommyboy

Reaction score
I read an article in the AC Press earlier this month, according to their 'numbers' the NJ Marine Fisheries councel has determined that NJ anglers cought too many Fluke in 2008! 9% more than 2007 ???? Where were all of these fish? 2008 was the WORST fluke season I've have ever seen !! Hell you had to run out to Reef Site 11 to catch anything even decent .... the best catch I saw all summer was 4 KEEPERS ...... and that was 5 guys fishin for 5 hrs .... It's lookin like the limits are going to be even more strict this year .... But you know we'll all be out there draggin bait anyway !

Gman25

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
fishie1 said:
Civil Disobedience . . .

My plan for 09!!

As soon as they get reasonable,Ill comply.

2005 300 Marlin w/F250's

'84Offshore

Reaction score
I wouldn't mind the size requirement so much (not that I caught more than 1 keeper last year), but those proposed seasons are too short!!!

mronzo

Reaction score
Yes, civil disobedience is the ticket.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
It's much cheaper in the store if you get caught.

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
I am not a marine biologist - nor do I have all of the data that they use -
But is just seams reasonable that the bigger fish would be the egg bearing fish -
Maybe a slot limit like they did with the striped bass years ago is the answer -

Maybe two fish 14 to 18 inches and then a one trophy fish 27 inches or bigger -

That way people can still fish - charters can still make money - and the potential egg bearers will be released -

Tim

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The two month closed season up front means you can't target fishing any fluke at all, at any size. Fluke has always been a any age any gender family fishing event, not the same for bluefish and stripped bass.

So be prepared for that when asked what are you fishing for if boarded !

I recall surf fishing flounder during the winter and March in Great South Bay, The Sore Thumb, Oak Beach, etc. Not to mention garbage cans doubling for fish boxes - fishing out of Moriches Bay on rentals. Double/triple headers.

Same for blowfish and kingfish, right off Oak Beach. Never needed a boat.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The amount rec's kill/catch is NOTHING compared to the comercial fleets. The laws need to be changed concerning bycatch and such. When they haul their nets, all those fish are basically dead, why should they be able to dump fish that can be sold?

PJJR

Reaction score
I agree with fishing fanatic, as well as curtailing the commercial catch.

Gman25

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
BobP said:
be prepared for that when asked what are you fishing for if boarded !

I dont know about you,but I kinda enjoy skate :lol: :wink:

2005 300 Marlin w/f250's