Ocean City MD to Annapolis MD via the C&D Canal

Capt. B

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Considering moving my boat to the mid Chesapeake waters for fall and spring Rockfish then back to the Atlantic for summer offshore. Trying to decide whether to trailer the boat twice a year or cruise up the Delaware Bay, through the C&D then down the Chesapeake. Have not found a marina as yet but I suspect I will look for a slip somewhere south of Annapolis. My guess is that the trip each way would be around 8 hours and/or 120 gal.of fuel. Decisions around paying for haul out, access for mx, trailing a 9.5' boat, etc. are all weighing into the decision. My question is "has anyone made this trip or been in a similar situation and if so what facts and advice can you share"? I actually fly into Baltimore from Chicago to use the boat and still have to drive to the coast to fish (or do maintenance which is usually the case) and I'm looking for an easier solution for part of the year.

Dr. Kleen

Reaction score
Trip to Ches Bay

I have taken the trip from Indian River marina to Solomons twice. It is about an 8 hour trip, and the fishing down towards the South is unbelievable. I stay at Calvert Marina in Solomons, but there are many marinas down there. It is about 1 to 1.5 hours away from Reagan/National or BWI Airports.

OCgrady330

Reaction score
Have made the trip many times in a 330. I go between OC and Deale for Rock and offshore, 7-8 hours depending on conditions. Delaware bay can get real rough with confused chop especially with northwest wind and wrong tide. C-D canal is wide and easy. Good trip under the right conditions. I dont have a trailer so sometimes I use a tow service (A+M Marine) and tow from OC to Cambridge (one hour tow) drop on the Choptank River one hour ride to Deale or 1 1/2 to Annapolis. Just saves time and money. I like Deale area which is midbay plenty of transient slips avialable. I go to Shipwright Marina, there is also Herrington Harbour North. There are others. Good Luck, nice ride only rough part usually D Bay.

Kenlahr

Reaction score
Capt B. The Fall fishing North of Pax River at Solomans has not been what it once was for about four years. My boat is in West River, near Deale and middle bay. Most of the Fall season we trailer to Point Lookout. From Solomons the run to the fish can be 1 to 2 hours. However, there arn't too many options south of Solomans. Calvert is a Nice Marine and JJ at JJ's Tackle may have some slips open back there too. There is usually a short term bite just at the mouth of Pax river, but the action stays hot closer to the Va border. If ya get a slip here in Southern Md and want to trailer her aound let me know, I may be able to help ya out. I have a 282 on a trailer that I drag to Ocean City almost weekly. I can dump my boat in a Deale slip and help ya trailer her around.
Cheers,
Capt. Ken Lahr

Capt. B

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Capt. Ken, How do you deal with the "oversize" issue when trailering? Thanks for the offer; very nice of you. Keeping all options in mind. By the way how do you like the loadmaster trailer? Did you get locally? I'm in the process of researching. Thanks

Kenlahr

Reaction score
Capt B. It depends. If hauling accross state line or on a long haul, I get fully permitted. I use:
Christine L Plaisted
Mercury Permit Services
Transportation Consultant
(888) 239-7773
(702) 944-9973
(702) 396-1932
christine@mercurypermits.net

They hook me fast and simple.

I got the Loadmaster from:
Contact;
Gary R Straw
Loadmaster
loadmaster@cros.net

Super happy with the Loadmaster. Its heavy, 16" wheels all disk breaks. The Sailfish is on a big pillow. Let me know if ya need assistance. Glad to help a fellow Grady Driver.