Ocean Running Question

sfc2113

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have been using my 204 now for about 3 months, very happy with it. have been in all kinds of water on the backbays, rough, smooth,ect. figured out I have to slow down to just about planning speed to get throught real choppy stuff, Recently I had an opertunity to run out in the ocean on a fair day about 5 miles out. No wind swellls were 2-3 feet but like 9 sedonds apart, when going over the swell Heading into , the boat comes down pretty hard kinda slams in the water, even at slow rpms like 3200-3500 (21knot). Is this normal for this model boat to handle like this?, I am just concerened the slamming would result in damage hull to an older boat like this. or can ithe structure handle it? I usually run the calm seas about 4000-4500 rpm 32knots. The boat was surved and passed. Just wondering if this is normal type of water that 204 can run in.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I think you hull was pre SV design which was a much harder ride than the current models.

bdevlin5983

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
sfc2113 said:
I have been using my 204 now for about 3 months, very happy with it. have been in all kinds of water on the backbays, rough, smooth,ect. figured out I have to slow down to just about planning speed to get throught real choppy stuff, Recently I had an opertunity to run out in the ocean on a fair day about 5 miles out. No wind swellls were 2-3 feet but like 9 sedonds apart, when going over the swell Heading into , the boat comes down pretty hard kinda slams in the water, even at slow rpms like 3200-3500 (21knot). Is this normal for this model boat to handle like this?, I am just concerened the slamming would result in damage hull to an older boat like this. or can ithe structure handle it? I usually run the calm seas about 4000-4500 rpm 32knots. The boat was surved and passed. Just wondering if this is normal type of water that 204 can run in.

I have the same thing in my 204... In a decent size swell in the Chesapeake, she rides pretty rough, and sometimes I swear the hull is going to crack, but I have thought that for years, and nothing has ever gone wrong. I think in general the structure can handle it, as long as you don't beat on it too badly. When its that rough, I eaither take a bigger boat, or stay in.

IMHO, with the 204, sometimes it is better to keep the RPM's higher (especially if the swells are close together) as she tends to sort of "skip" across the tops of them... I have had more than once where I was in a good 3-4' swell, came down off plane, and the bow does a submarine impersonation, definitely not fun.

Bren

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The 204C has a very heavy forward end due to cabin structure relative to stocky length, so bow falls fast and hard, unlike center consoles that are more biased in weight further back.

Did you own a center console before?

My concern when I owned my 1988 204C was my back, not the boat !

The boat was better balanced when the tank was full, IMHO. Lighten up the cabin and anchor locker the best you can too.

When flying over swells, I tend to like to land stern first then sweep forward, not the other way around. Only when tank was full did boat respond this way. Fuel cell was enlarged in later years to 80 gals, so that helped too.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
That si somewhat common since you have good weight forward from the cabin and such, are you running bow up or down, trim tabs would help, putting the bow down helps heek you in the water and more cutting then riding on top, not as nice on the fuel but way better ride within reason to the size of your boat. Typically you need to find a speed where you stay with the swell if they get to be uncomfortable, or you may need to be on the throttle and power up and down wth the waves. If possible try moving gear aft in the boat if possible, or taking unneccessary gear off the boat if its in the cabin, it might help a little, but as stated a pre sv2 hull is not as nice riding, but I have rideen a lot of 204's and they handle ok if trimmed out right at the right speed.

sfc2113

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
gradyfish22 said:
That si somewhat common since you have good weight forward from the cabin and such, are you running bow up or down, trim tabs would help, putting the bow down helps heek you in the water and more cutting then riding on top, not as nice on the fuel but way better ride within reason to the size of your boat. Typically you need to find a speed where you stay with the swell if they get to be uncomfortable, or you may need to be on the throttle and power up and down wth the waves. If possible try moving gear aft in the boat if possible, or taking unneccessary gear off the boat if its in the cabin, it might help a little, but as stated a pre sv2 hull is not as nice riding, but I have rideen a lot of 204's and they handle ok if trimmed out right at the right speed.

tried putting the bow down for the return home, not a smart idea for the following seas, kept plowing into the back of waves and almost lost steering. I had allot of weight aft as I had 2, 200 # men in the rear seats "taking showers I might add" I dont really keep anything in the cabin except 4 poles and 10 life jackets and type V ring. I have a small anchor in the locker with 100ft of line. all this may come to 50 lbs, Guess I just have to learn how to ride the seas. My real concern is a boat of this age or more in question is the fiberglass itself, can it still handle the chops and drops?, like everything else nothing lasts forever and I have no idea the history of the boat and how abused it may have been over the past 22yrs.. Although the surveyor said it was fine, I still have to question its age. I have all the safety items in place and did pass my coast guard safety inspection. So I hope I am just being paraniod.

Grouper Duper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Your hull can take it just fine.

The only issue I've had from all the pounding is the cabin structure. Mine has a good-sized crack on the side of the cabin opening, though it was complicated by the "rot-out" of the bottom of the cabin bulkhead (very common). Having no support from the bottom of the bulkhead I'm sure puts more stress further up when the boat is pounding.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Fiberglass lasts forever, the first production fiberglass boats from the 60s are still on the water.

cdwood

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The boat will be fine but I can definately relate to your concerns. What I do is to take the seas on at an angle instead of head on. This will reduce your rise and fall time as well as minimize the pounding. Also, unless your trying to outrun bad weather take your time and try to find the rythym of the waves. You'll know by the way she rides.