October Tuna in So. Cal.

enfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Just a few photos from probably our last offshore run of the season. The fishing was tough, but we scratched up something. The tuna were putting on a nice show, jumping all over the place, but were boat shy. It was tough to get on them before they sunk out. There was a ton of life out there though. We saw Risso dolphins, common dolphins, sea lions, pilot whales, blue whales, and a breaching humpback whale.

We were out on a friend's boat, so technically not a Grady report, but my dad has his GW hat on, so hopefully that counts ;)

Pa032624post.jpg

Pa032628post.jpg

Pa032625post.jpg

Pa032630post.jpg

Pa032634post.jpg

Pa032637post.jpg

Pa032642post.jpg

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Cool pics Eric. You must have gotten out again in the last couple of weeks? Weather has been tough.

Where did you end up finding them?

BTW, if there are still any out there this weekend looks to be really nice. We are going to try for a lobster trip Friday night, LB harbor.

enfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Thanks Joe and Chris! Just spending time offshore chasing fish is always enjoyable for me, no matter what we bring home!

We got out about 3 weeks ago, before all the fog. We left out of Newport and found them right around the 289 bank. We had stopped on a kelp paddy and caught that bonito when a spotter plane for a nearby swordfish boat came by, circled us and gave us a wing dip. We knew we were in the right area after that, and a few minutes later about a half mile away or so, the tuna came up boiling and the birds were going crazy. A bit frustrating that we didn't get more fish, but they were up and down so fast, it was tough. After a while, there were probably a dozen boats chasing them. I think the local tuna season is about done here unless the albacore move back in. The weather front that came through cooled off the water a few degrees.

Have fun and good luck with the lobster! That's not something I've tried yet. From the reports I see online, it seems a bit like combat fishing at times with people trying to defend their hoopnets. :lol: