OEM Wiring Harness FYI (or what I learned today)

Sharkbait282

Reaction score
Soooooooo . . . spring's coming soon in RI, t- 45 or so to target launch date for the 282 Sailfish, and a good bit of work to do before then.

One of our primary work items is to replace and re-wire the original thru-hull mounted, plastic, live well pump, with a more robust, bulkhead mounted pump. I think ultimately for a lot of Sailfish owners in the 1996-2004 range, this is going to be a common "challenge," where on one hand you can find a 3/4" NPT screw mount pump to attach directly to the thru-hull OEM style, or upgrade to a more substantial Rule stainless steel cyclone, which should be bulkhead mounted, without question.

1) You can't up-grade an existing wire that runs into the original manufactured wiring cluster: The OEM wiring harness for your boat was likely built on a rigging bench (like a car) and is taped and built/taped into the split loop casing in a way that makes it not only impossible to remove an abandoned wire, but is also impossible to pull a new wire into the existing bundle.

2) Where the split looming is accessible, it is DEFINITELY there for a reason! Take a lot of pictures, and plan on replacing and incorporating your new wiring into the loom casing, because it provides invaluable, low cost, visually attractive protection to your wiring for long term durability. While I definitely conceded defeat in my original plan to "blend in" to the existing cable routing, I will still make it look as OEM as possible.

3) It looks impossibly busy behind and under the helm of a boat the size and complexity of a Sailfish, similar and larger models. If you are not the sort to research, plan, conform to standards, and execute at a MINIMUM of manufacture standards for connections (which I'd call average), PAY SOMEONE to do the work. Simply replacing a pump and failing to scale your wiring appropriately not only endangers you and your passengers, it immediately devalues your boat. Do it right. The first time.

4) For anyone who doesn't automatically start replacing fasteners on their 2004 and earlier boat, I'll tell you based on the mild winter I've seen, on our 282 I'm seeing more rust peeking around those beige painted stainless screw heads in a lot of places. Either start replacing those fasteners now, bit by bit, or suffer the consequences when they either can't be removed without being broken (PITA), or suffer the impact to your boat's value as the rust stains start to dominate your field of view. Just because they used pretty good hardware to start with doesn't mean it's "forever." Nothing on a boat is forever, including bedding/bonding compounds, seals, and stainless fasteners (stainless means "stain resistant").

5) Unscrew those deck plates, re-bed them, and while you're at it order 7 new gaskets from whichever manufacture built your deck plates. If you can't say for certain what condition they're in, I guarantee they leak!

It's March! Happy March! Reality is knocking!

Bob.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I know exacly what your saying about abandoned wire and pulling new wires through. I'm doing that right now and its a royal P.I.T.A.!
I'm also the third owner but the first with motivation to wire it right. I'm finding a lot of wires in the factory loom that were for options that the boat didn't come with but that will help with wiring the new washdown pump. I'm also finding wires that the prior owners hooked up for who knows what but they are still there (?). I'm convinced a buzzard built a nest with the wires at the stern near the battery, worst I've ever seen. :-|
Grady White are aces with their providing wiring schematics for age old models which has helped tremendously but I am still finding wire ends that hook to (?), even after working backwards I've confirmed connections for every electrical item on the boat.
I know I also have to confirm common ground connections for the fuel fill, tank, and other areas.

Mike.

Sharkbait282

Reaction score
Mike,

I'll totally agree with you on that part, and I'm fortunate to be rooting around in an extremely un-molested 282, so I'll count my blessings.

So we'll call this one #6 . . .
As soon as you start thinking about pulling the seemingly professionally applied black electrical tape off the oddly well thought out black split loom, you had BETTER have consulted your owners manual wiring diagram first! The original diagrams in the owners manuals are really a fantastic way to find out if what you're considering working on was factory built, or someone else's handiwork, where it goes, and what else it might be tied in with.

And although I might sound like I'm a bit frustrated, I'm only frustrated that I can't pull new, properly sized wire into the nice, clean, professionally built up wiring harness that Grady White built for the boat.

But no matter what, I WILL pull wires that are the right size, and I WILL upgrade the fuse to handle the appropriate load, BEFORE I attempt to run the new pump! I'll make sure I get some pictures up on this thread for follow up!

Bob.

Sharkbait282

Reaction score
I don't think it can be emphasized enough, that when you're considering a DIY with your boat, failing to plan ahead will lead to headaches during the work, and failing to do it right will lead to headaches when you try to sell your boat (or worse).

Attachments

• IMG_1995.jpg
    IMG_1995.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 1,608
  • IMG_1994.jpg
    IMG_1994.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 1,607
  • IMG_1993.jpg
    IMG_1993.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 1,607
  • IMG_1947.jpg
    IMG_1947.jpg