off season repairs planning.

Chessie246G

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
I knew going in my transom needs replaced. Patched it up for the time being and its solid. This upcoming winter or next it will be getting replaced. By default, I'm a planner. Down the road I plan to repower with 4 stroke twins. Seriously considering not reinstalling the transom scuppers. Hear me out, I welcome input. The plan is to remove the rear transom scuppers, route the deck drains into a sea-chest with 2 high output bilge pumps to pump higher up and out the gunnels next to the original bilge pump fittings. Going from a single 2 stroke to twin 4 strokes (likely going to add about 400lbs give or take) It's going to add a good bit of weight and I really don't like the scuppers being under water. (They currently sit right at the water line) As I get on the boat and move side to side, they will already dip into the water.

The extra weight of twins doesn't bother me. The boat had an option for twins and dual fuel tanks.

Thoughts, concerns?

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 285
So no suppers at all? That gives me an icky feeling.
How would you get water out if your batteries die?
Maybe you trailer your boat and it's not a big concern...

Chessie246G

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
So no suppers at all? That gives me an icky feeling.
How would you get water out if your batteries die?
Maybe you trailer your boat and it's not a big concern...
No intentions of the boat being wet slipped again. Its in/out service right now. Stored on the hard. Next season will likely get moved next door to the boatel. Covered storage rack.

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I'd not want to paint myself into such a corner. Not too tough to imagine a scenario where a wave breaks just right over the boat, and fills cockpit with water...having multiple ways for it to exit quickly is good. Also, plan further ahead than a year or two - you might end up wet slipped again.

Reactions: PointedRose

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
As slowly as my scuppers drain standing water, even sitting on the trailer, I would hate to think how long it would take to clear a wave, with back pressure on the scupper flaps underwater. I have also thought about different ways to clear the deck, especially when I was in the process of replacing the old hoses.
More of a mental exercise than anything else, but if replacing the transom, I would seriously consider a 90° elbow out the side of the boat, just aft of the scupper.
I also considered the idea of teeing off of the existing system with a livewell pump. That way you would have passive flow to the transom stoppers, but for standing water, turning on the pumps would draw it out much quicker. You would need your flaps to be working correctly, or a check valve aft of the pump, to keep from pulling water through the transoms scupper.
If your deck was high enough off the water, the most reliable, and the quickest way, to get rid of seawater is just to have open drains cut through the side of the boat, like you see on a commercial boat.

Chessie246G

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
I would not do away with overboard drains. Not a good idea.
Raise drains or go out the side.
I dont think I can raise them. Maybe an inch at most. The hose is already pretty flat. out the side might give me more clearance from the waterline.. Ill take a look this weekend.

Chessie246G

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
It does slope slightly aft. But looking at this old pic with bottom paint. Not enough to make any real difference. Ugh! Predicament!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220721-094633_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220721-094633_Gallery.jpg
    872.9 KB · Views: 14

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
If your deck was high enough off the water, the most reliable, and the quickest way, to get rid of seawater is just to have open drains cut through the side of the boat, like you see on a commercial boat.
This would be ideal. i just think alot of these boats sit a bit low in the stern, not sure how high the deck is above the waterline, or how much it might drop under if a few people are on one side, maybe pulling in a big fish

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Even so, if I were redoing my transom, I would rather have two holes through the solid glass hull side, than through my new 2 inch thick transom.
On a Seafarer, the cockpit deck is several inches higher than the bilge deck under the jump seats, so you might be able to get a nice drop in your drain line.

Jimmyfiretruck

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 222
What are you making the transom core from ?

id never want that set up you’re planning - no bueno ….

seasick

Reaction score
How many boats that are not self bailing have you seen sink? I have seen a few. All you need is heavy rain ( or in some cases, snow) and a dead battery or dead bilge pump.
No-one likes a wet deck but even with scuppers below the water line, any water in the deck that is higher than the outside water line will drain, protecting the boat from sinking.
That said, I didn't see what motors were on the boat right now. In addition, if the motors are original, the scuppers should not be below the water line, so somewhere in time the boat gained weight.

Inline 4 cyl Yamis would match the weight of older 2 strokes, assuming they are adequate for the hull (what is the hull model?).
In addition the idea of cutting holes in the side hull to allow draining is nuts. If water can drain out, it can pour in.

Chessie246G

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
How many boats that are not self bailing have you seen sink? I have seen a few. All you need is heavy rain ( or in some cases, snow) and a dead battery or dead bilge pump.
No-one likes a wet deck but even with scuppers below the water line, any water in the deck that is higher than the outside water line will drain, protecting the boat from sinking.
That said, I didn't see what motors were on the boat right now. In addition, if the motors are original, the scuppers should not be below the water line, so somewhere in time the boat gained weight.

Inline 4 cyl Yamis would match the weight of older 2 strokes, assuming they are adequate for the hull (what is the hull model?).
In addition the idea of cutting holes in the side hull to allow draining is nuts. If water can drain out, it can pour in.
Transom def has some water in it..... That's why it is being planned to be replaced. Engine now is a single 2002 ox66 250 Yamaha. No idea what the engine was. originally. Boat hull is a 1992 246g Explorer, original full transom with factory bracket. Max HP 300

I really would like to switch to twins for several reasons. mainly for the security if one engine ever fails, we can limp home. second will make maneuvering around my tight Marina a little easier.

Right now the scuppers sit just above the water line. It doesn't take much to dip them. If I stand on the aft corner they will go under. Which doesn't bother me in the least. They have about a half a tube of 5200 on each one. and I over sealed the holes with epoxy resin before they were installed. My biggest issue going to twins I'm going to add about 350-400 lbs to the rear. The transom is wet because the starboard scupper leaked. Thats where the dilemma comes in. With twins (maybe) or more than 2-3 people. If a scupper fails, hose, clamp ect I have no way to block off the water from entering. It's a hope and prayer the bilge pumps can keep up until I can get to safety.

I may just route them out the gunnels.... and have the transom scuppers holes filled when the transom is replaced. That way I can install proper sea cocks in the event of a failure.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Why would water pour in through the side of a boat any faster than it would pour in through the transom, if the drains are at the same height, relative to the waterline, and it could possibly even be higher.
I wasn’t suggesting that he cut a deck level hole through the side of a liner boat, just pointing out the efficiency of that design, proven over centuries. No one builds serious ocean going vessels that trap water on deck, like the cockpit of a pleasure craft does.

Last edited:

enfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Just a thought... Maybe this is your forever boat, maybe not. I don't know. But I would question buying a boat that had removed the transom scuppers and would likely walk away not knowing what other weird things you may have done to the boat I can't see. So you may be hurting the resale value of the boat by doing that mod.

I'd probably look at scuppers with a more positive shutoff, like the ping pong ball type. Because the deck will always drain when you're underway, even if the scuppers are underwater when stopped.

Jimmyfiretruck

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 222
Twins on that boat will not make it easier to maneuver around.
The motors are too close together .

thinknof it like this :

you’re standing behind someone with your hands on their shoulders - you push their right shoulder, they move left …

now - move your hands to the middle of their back and try it- they move ahead…

the motors need to be far apart for a real noticeable difference

Chessie246G

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
Why would water pour in through the side of a boat any faster than it would pour in through the transom, if the drains are at the same height, relative to the waterline, and it could possibly even be higher.
I wasn’t suggesting that he cut a deck level hole through the side of a liner boat, just pointing out the efficiency of that design, proven over centuries. No one builds serious ocean going vessels that trap water on deck, like the cockpit of a pleasure craft does.
I follow what you're saying and possibly may be over thinking it.
I couldn't find fittings that would connect to a seacock in the length needed to reach out through the transom to shut off in the case of emergency. Thats my thinking.

• Haha
Reactions: GW1990

Chessie246G

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
Twins on that boat will not make it easier to maneuver around.
The motors are too close together .

thinknof it like this :

you’re standing behind someone with your hands on their shoulders - you push their right shoulder, they move left …

now - move your hands to the middle of their back and try it- they move ahead…

the motors need to be far apart for a real noticeable difference
twins is more so to be able to get back from 60 miles off shore in the event of an engine failure.